yconic - Biomedical at UWO or Life sciences at MAC
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Biomedical at UWO or Life sciences at MAC

A photo of Chelbear Chelbear
I have been accepted to both programs above along with Queens Arts/Science. I've concluded that all three programs basically have similar general science first year course offerings. My choice amongst the universities comes down to options beyond 1st year. Like many I'm interested in a career in medicine but I know that that could change so I want to ensure that I have as many options available to me as possible. Any feedback or opinions would be appreciated.:cheese:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Western is quite a party school, too, keep that in mind.
So if you're not into partying and all that good stuff, Mac may be a better choice.
But Mac is more well known for their Health Sci over Life Sci.
There's definitely better programs for Life Sci than Mac.
Biomed at Western is pretty well known too, I would say.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
Western is quite a party school, too, keep that in mind.
So if you're not into partying and all that good stuff, Mac may be a better choice.
But Mac is more well known for their Health Sci over Life Sci.
There's definitely better programs for Life Sci than Mac.
Biomed at Western is pretty well known too, I would say.

Thanks for your opinion. I know that Western is considered a party university but I'm guessing that it is somewhat due to its size. I consider myself to be a very focused and time management type of person. You indicated that there are better life science programs than MAC. What would you consider to be the top three life science programs? I have applied for the Health Science program at MAC as well but I'll have to wait along with the others to see if I'm accepted.:alien:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Well I'm not from Ontario, so I wouldn't know as well as someone who is from Ontario.
I think U of T probably has a spot on the top 3 as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy
Between those two Western is the better choice. Also, Western's reputation as a party school is overly exaggerated (I'm a first year student living in residence). There are parties on the weekends and they're usually pretty tame.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Western is not that much of a party school. All universities have parties, let's be real.
I think Western biomed is really good because you can apply to work in labs such as Robarts in the summer or even during the school year I believe. Also, there is a med school and one of two dentistry schools in the province.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I would think that the opportunities at Western or MAC regarding research and volunteer opportunities will probably be fairly equal (I stand to be corrected if someone disagrees with me). The issue regarding the partying is not a concern for me. No matter where you go there is going to be partying so that will not deter me from going to one of the schools. Although MAC gave me a comfortable feel because it is a smaller campus, the City of Hamilton really did not impress me at all. Since I live far from southern Ontario (NWO) I will not have a chance to go home very often. The campus at Western seemed very large but the surroundings were impressive. I just don't know if there is something that one program offers that the other doesn't that could tip the scales.:albino:
Was this helpful? Yes 0