yconic - Biomedical Engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Biomedical Engineering

A photo of AKhan11 AKhan11
I am really interested in pursuing this career however I am afraid that a degree in biomedical engineering may hinder my chances of being employed. I just recently got accepted to Ottawa's biomedical mechanical engineering program and was wandering if I should accept the offer. I love both engineering and biology and can't imagine myself doing only one. Should I go into biomedical engineering despite the employ-ability issue?

Advice and experiences from past graduates of a biomedical engineering program are much appreciated. Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of imaginaryengineer imaginaryengineer
Consider going into mechanical, electrical or chemical (depending on what u want to do in biomed) and then specializing in biomed. This way you dont have a specialized degree and you will still have the same opportunities as biomed undergrads except you wont be limited if you change your mind. Remember its still only undergrad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of n0y0x n0y0x

@AKhan11 wrote
I am really interested in pursuing this career however I am afraid that a degree in biomedical engineering may hinder my chances of being employed. I just recently got accepted to Ottawa's biomedical mechanical engineering program and was wandering if I should accept the offer. I love both engineering and biology and can't imagine myself doing only one. Should I go into biomedical engineering despite the employ-ability issue?

Advice and experiences from past graduates of a biomedical engineering program are much appreciated. Thanks.

Waterloo Mechatronics has a biomechanics option. Only saying cause I noticed you applied from other threads.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AKhan11 AKhan11
Thanks for the great info guys.
@engineersrock thanks for the link bro and good luck with your application to universities as I noticed you are also applying this year .

@imaginaryengineer yea that's a good idea and I did apply to some universities that offer majors in mechanical eng and options/minors in biomed.

@n0y0x Yes I am aware of the option but I am afraid of not being accepted due to the high entrance avg requirement. If you don't mine sharing, can you please tell me your entrance avg when you were accepted to tron? I'm hoping for a 94-96 avg but that's with a repeated course (English went from 79% to 94%) and not a lot of relevant EC's, most are business related. eg. Deca and Junior Achievement.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I would agree with imaginaryengineer. Because biomed engineering does have some employability issues, it would be good to have it as a specialization for a more core degree.

I've done a bit of biomed research, and I know a few people who specialized in biomed. The field is super cool, and there are obviously jobs out there, but you typically need grad school and it's a smaller field. A couple people I know went to med school with this degree. I know at my university you had to do co-op with the specialization, so I think that helped address some of the employability issues. Unfortunately I don't know a ton about what the competition is for these types of jobs. I know they exist and I know they're really cool.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of avp avp
umm..guys please correct me if im wrong...
But this is my plan...
I m gonna go in to biomedical sciences and try for med school..
If i don't make it, then I shall try for pharmacy...
If i don't make it there...then I am planning on doing a major in biomedical engineering...
Is this possible?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
You can't major in any sort of engineering, so your back-up back-up plan isn't going to work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of avp avp
aww..man :( anyhow, thx!
Was this helpful? Yes 0