yconic - Biomedical or honour science at waterloo
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Biomedical or honour science at waterloo

A photo of ForeverPi ForeverPi
I'm debating on whether i should choose biomedical or honour science at waterloo for my program. Both of these programs can complete all the prerequisites for waterloo's pharmacy school.

i'm worried about the biomedical program because then that'll mean that i'll have to take physic courses which is my worse subject by far. i'm struggling in grade 12 physics atm ugh...but i think this is 65% due to me taking physic 11 in summer school and not really learning anything....--;

But if i take honour science and end up not making it into pharmacy, then i'm left with a useless major and will graduate with a bachelor's of general science (i think...).

If i take biomedical and end up not going into pharmacy, then at least i'll have somewhat a more practical degree.

However, I was wondering if i am allowed to transfer from honour science into biomedical or biochemistry after my 2nd year of honour sciences and just complete any courses that i haven't taken yet for that particular program?

So should i choose biomedical or honour science? Or can i transfer into a different program from honour science?

also, can i have people's opnions on waterloo's science department?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of BrunoMars BrunoMars
I'm not too fond of Waterloo, but from my perspective, transfer into Biomedical, and take Physics (First Year/Gr.12) again in the summer with a private tutor. It'll improve your skills and then you can accomplish your goal!
That's what I would do, and thats what I did over the summer for math!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of laura14 laura14
Hey!

I'm in biomedical science at waterloo and am transferring to Honours Science!
AND I have Conditional Acceptance to Pharmacy. (you should look into trying to get this too!, really relieves some of the pressure first year).
[url]http://www.pharmacy.uwaterloo.ca/future-students/cap-program[/url]

So I started in biomedical science. Physics is ALL high school review, so don't worry it doesn't get harder than what you are doing now.
However, I'm switching to honours science because taking physics next term is a waste of time in order to meet my pharmacy prerequisites.
Honours science is awesome. Well pretty much you take what you want, see what you like and then have until 3rd year to pick a specialization (if you decide not to follow through with pharmacy).
You are FOR SURE allowed to transfer between programs and make up courses as you need them. They make this really easy to do. All you do is fill out this one page form telling them what program you're in which one you want to switch to and the reason why. Then bam you are enrolled in the other program (as long as you have decent academic standing).

As well to note, you are the one who selects your classes for each term (after first term) and you are the one responsible for adding or dropping courses so pretty much you may be in a specific program but you can take whatever courses you feel you need to take. (Just by 4th year you have to make sure you have met the graduation requirements for a specific program).

Feel free to ask me any questions!
PS. I love my school. AND the pharmacy school building is AMAZING. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred

@ForeverPi wrote
I'm debating on whether i should choose biomedical or honour science at waterloo for my program. Both of these programs can complete all the prerequisites for waterloo's pharmacy school.

i'm worried about the biomedical program because then that'll mean that i'll have to take physic courses which is my worse subject by far. i'm struggling in grade 12 physics atm ugh...but i think this is 65% due to me taking physic 11 in summer school and not really learning anything....--;

But if i take honour science and end up not making it into pharmacy, then i'm left with a useless major and will graduate with a bachelor's of general science (i think...).

If i take biomedical and end up not going into pharmacy, then at least i'll have somewhat a more practical degree.

However, I was wondering if i am allowed to transfer from honour science into biomedical or biochemistry after my 2nd year of honour sciences and just complete any courses that i haven't taken yet for that particular program?

So should i choose biomedical or honour science? Or can i transfer into a different program from honour science?

also, can i have people's opnions on waterloo's science department?

All hard science bachelors are useless unless you wanna work in a lab making $17 per hour for the rest of your life. Go into science. Go medical school, get a masters... something fun.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Piminion Piminion

@laura14 wrote
Hey!

I'm in biomedical science at waterloo and am transferring to Honours Science!
AND I have Conditional Acceptance to Pharmacy. (you should look into trying to get this too!, really relieves some of the pressure first year).
[url]http://www.pharmacy.uwaterloo.ca/future-students/cap-program[/url]

So I started in biomedical science. Physics is ALL high school review, so don't worry it doesn't get harder than what you are doing now.
However, I'm switching to honours science because taking physics next term is a waste of time in order to meet my pharmacy prerequisites.
Honours science is awesome. Well pretty much you take what you want, see what you like and then have until 3rd year to pick a specialization (if you decide not to follow through with pharmacy).
You are FOR SURE allowed to transfer between programs and make up courses as you need them. They make this really easy to do. All you do is fill out this one page form telling them what program you're in which one you want to switch to and the reason why. Then bam you are enrolled in the other program (as long as you have decent academic standing).

As well to note, you are the one who selects your classes for each term (after first term) and you are the one responsible for adding or dropping courses so pretty much you may be in a specific program but you can take whatever courses you feel you need to take. (Just by 4th year you have to make sure you have met the graduation requirements for a specific program).

Feel free to ask me any questions!
PS. I love my school. AND the pharmacy school building is AMAZING. :)

University of Waterloo is actually my first choice! However, I'm still unsure as to what I want to be when I grow up. All I know is that I want to go into science, specifically biology or chemistry. I was actually thinking of Biomedical Sciences or Medicinal Chemistry. But what sucks is that I never took Physics in Gr.11 or Gr.12 so I'm really worried since they are both required in the first year. Would you suggest I go with Honours Science instead?
Was this helpful? Yes 0