yconic - Biomedical sciences at UWO
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Biomedical sciences at UWO

A photo of Comradeponov Comradeponov
Hey guys. I have a question.

how do you actually apply to biomed at UWO? if you look at

http://www.welcome.uwo.ca/preview/admissions/ontario/Ontario_Ad_chart.pdf

you don't actually see "bio-med" like you do at Ottawa's page. so how do you enter Western's biomed program? Do you apply later, and if so, what do i apply for in grade 12?

what do grade 12 people mean when they say they're applying for "bio-med" in Western?

thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner
If it is anything like the dietetics program at Brescia/Western (to which I applied and was accepted), your first year is a "qualifying year" at Western. You have to fulfill certain requirements during your first year before you can be officially accepted to your program of choice. So you aren't actually "in" your program until second year (provided you passed all the required courses with the minimum required mark in those courses).

So, for example, for the dietetics program at Western/Brescia, you need:

"Completion of first-year requirements with no failures. Students must have an average of at least 70% in the following 4.0 courses with no mark below 60%:

Chemistry 1100A/B and 1200B or the former 1050, 1020 or 023
Biology 1290B
Foods and Nutrition 1030E or the former 025a/b
Business Administration 1220
0.5 course numbered 1000-1999"

I'm not sure what the requirements for Biomed are, but I'm sure you can find them in the calendar, along with what program you need to apply to, as a grade 12 student.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
It's on the chart, under "science". The full name of the program is biological and medical sciences, people just shorten it to biomed (but it's not actually called biomedical science).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Comradeponov Comradeponov

@inthemaking wrote
It's on the chart, under "science". The full name of the program is biological and medical sciences, people just shorten it to biomed (but it's not actually called biomedical science).

Do you apply to the ESM under science straight from highschool? In other words, do you enter bio-med straight from highschool? so do I just apply to science?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Yes, you can apply to ESM from hs (through OUAC). But first year is general and you don't specialize until 2nd year http://www.uwo.ca/fhs/bhsc/PDFs/BHSc_vs_BSc_vs_BMSc.pdf
Was this helpful? Yes 0