yconic - biomed/life sciences at Guelph, UTSG or McGill?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

biomed/life sciences at Guelph, UTSG or McGill?

A photo of xinzyl xinzyl
I know maybe this "which school should I choose" thing has already become an eyesore. But I looked back more than five pages and couldn't find a post that is similar to my situation (maybe schools but not courses), so I decided to post and try asking anyway.

Btw, sorry if my situation looks grossly similar to something you read on another forum, I've been trying to get info from all the sources I can cause I'm really quite lost at this.

I'm choosing between biomed at guelph (with a 2k entrance scholarship), biomed at McGill and life sciences at UTSG. I wish to attend a veterinary school for post grad and work in wildlife conservation areas (or just any others that can help animals), but my parents would rather me going to med school, which I am not entirely against either, cause I feel great about being able to help people as well.

However, I'm neither an Ontario nor a Quebec resident. Maybe barely considered a BC one given my new immigrant status. So applying to the OVC or med school at McGill will both put me as out of province applicants where there are much fewer seats to fight for.

So..any insights?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Sean1218 Sean1218

@xinzyl wrote
I know maybe this "which school should I choose" thing has already become an eyesore. But I looked back more than five pages and couldn't find a post that is similar to my situation (maybe schools but not courses), so I decided to post and try asking anyway.

Btw, sorry if my situation looks grossly similar to something you read on another forum, I've been trying to get info from all the sources I can cause I'm really quite lost at this.

I'm choosing between biomed at guelph (with a 2k entrance scholarship), biomed at McGill and life sciences at UTSG. I wish to attend a veterinary school for post grad and work in wildlife conservation areas (or just any others that can help animals), but my parents would rather me going to med school, which I am not entirely against either, cause I feel great about being able to help people as well.

However, I'm neither an Ontario nor a Quebec resident. Maybe barely considered a BC one given my new immigrant status. So applying to the OVC or med school at McGill will both put me as out of province applicants where there are much fewer seats to fight for.

So..any insights?

I believe Ontario is pretty relaxed about becoming a resident, and you'll be considered one for OVC just from living in Guelph or Toronto for your undergrad. However, unless you live in Montreal for a year without going to school, you won't have that luxury for McGill.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking

@Sean1218 wrote

@xinzyl wrote

So..any insights?

I believe Ontario is pretty relaxed about becoming a resident, and you'll be considered one for OVC just from living in Guelph or Toronto for your undergrad. However, unless you live in Montreal for a year without going to school, you won't have that luxury for McGill.

OVC is pretty strict about establishing residency, you'll have to have lived in Ontario for 1 year without being in school too. So I would pick UTSG/Guelph if vet school at OVC is what you want to do for sure.

However, if you're still unsure about becoming a vet, I wouldn't go to Guelph. I applied to OVC this year (as a Mac student) and the reason why I didn't go to Guelph for my undergrad is so it doesn't limit my post-grad choices. Not that Guelph is a bad school, but there are other Ontario schools with stronger science programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xinzyl xinzyl
Actually the OVC is much stricter on the residency requirement. It specifically stated that to be considered as an Ontario resident, one has to have resided in Ontario for 12 months BEFORE post-secondary education, which will be impossible for me to achieve.

Right now McGill seems a very competitve and impersonal school, while Guelph seems cosy but isn't as recognized internationally, and I still only know very little about UTSG except from what I can read off from the website.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of awaysheflew awaysheflew

@xinzyl wrote
...while Guelph seems cosy but isn't as recognized internationally...

There isn't much that I can add to this discussion, but if you're not planning on leaving Canada after university, international reputation doesn't really matter. And Guelph is respected school within Ontario.
Was this helpful? Yes 0