yconic - BMOS or BA Economics
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

BMOS or BA Economics

A photo of markovasileski markovasileski
So I'm accepted to both BMOS at Western and BA economics at Laurier. I do NOT have AEO status at Western. Which program would be better to go into? And how hard is it to get into Ivey if I do not have AEO.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of g93 g93
What are you looking to go through for?

Do you like economics?

Do you like math and are you good at it?

Which school do you prefer? Campus, rez, environment, social aspect, etc.?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of markovasileski markovasileski
I am trying to get either a CA or MBA. I know theyre pretty different but thats the general path I am trying to go through.

I do like economics

I do not mind math but I am not great at it. 80%ish in Grade 12 Functions.

I prefer Western because its a much bigger school and it seems that the student environment is much better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@markovasileski wrote
I am trying to get either a CA or MBA. I know theyre pretty different but thats the general path I am trying to go through.

I do like economics

I do not mind math but I am not great at it. 80%ish in Grade 12 Functions.

I prefer Western because its a much bigger school and it seems that the student environment is much better.

Laurier Honours Economics is fully accredited by ICAO, while BMOS isn't but does offer all 51 credit-hours, so not too big of a deal.

Liking economics while going into an economics program is good. There is more of a math aspect to it than you would find at BMOS. Keep that in mind. The math isn't impossible, but some people do find it tricky.

This is a factor to consider. If you feel you would enjoy yourself at Western more and preform better there, keep it in mind for sure.

You could apply to Ivey at the end of 2nd year. It might be tough to get in, but it could be worth it. You could do this at Laurier too I guess, although it might be possible that they have a slight bias to Western students? I wouldn't count on it, maybe someone else can answer that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@g93 wrote
Liking economics while going into an economics program is good.

Win.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NumberOne NumberOne
It's also noteworthy to mention that the difference between a business degree and a BA in Economics is minimal when it comes to finding a job.

In the US, there aren't very many undergraduate business programs. (Harvard, for example, doesn't have an undergrad business program). If you are American and you want to study business, you do Economics instead. So don't buy into the myth that a BA won't get you a good job on Wall/Bay Street.

Economics is also good because it opens doors into different fields i.e. politics, international relations etc but that's a totally different conversation.

Good luck with your decision ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of marvin1992 marvin1992
what happens if im at western Huron BMOS and I dnt get into Ivey?

Is it still a reputable program?
Can I transfer to the main campus after a year?
Is it better than Carleton BCOMM for getting a CMA or specializing in finance?
Can I get a solid job in my internship or after I GRADUATE?
Are the accounting profs good
Was this helpful? Yes 0