yconic - BMOS to Ivey without AEO Suggestions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

BMOS to Ivey without AEO Suggestions

A photo of mohq07 mohq07
Hi,

I recently accepted an offer from Western for BMOS however I had applied too late to also apply for the Ivey AEO. I was in a dilemma deciding between careers and that’s was why I applied so late. So I’m wondering if people have any suggestions for what I should work on for example:
How involved I should be, what will help keep my grades up (a competitive average for Ivey), If I should get a summer internship in my first year/what places should I try to get job. More specifically what type of ECs is Ivey looking for; I'm familiar with the fact that I will need some executive positions in some clubs maybe or some leadership roles.

I also know that it was a risk accepting this offer without AEO and planning on applying 2nd year. However, I am prepared to work and do what is needed so I can increase my chances of making it into Ivey.

I am also aware that there will be no straight answer; I'm open to any suggestions and tips that will help me in this process.

Thanks!
P.S. I’m interested in going into Finance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Subtle Subtle
To be honest, bmos isn't the greatest program. And IF you don't get accepted for Ivey third year (which is very likely since it's competitive), it's gonna be hard to break into finance.

Do you have any other offers? Say for example Laurier or Waterloo or anything. I'm sure you're given the same amount of consideration if you transfer from another school. This way, even if you get rejected by Ivey in your third year, you still have a decent degree (not saying bmos is bad, there are just better choices).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mohq07 mohq07
That's the thing, all of the programs I applied for were for science and the only Business program I applied for was BMOS which of course is not the best program i could have applied for, so I dont have any other options such as laurier or waterloo. Basically I am stuck unless I transfer to another university after and I certainly do not plan on graduating from BMOS. Like i said this was a huge risk which is I want to try my best to find out information that can help me increase my chances for Ivey.

As of now im trying to network and get connected with some Ivey students doing their 3rd/4th year as well as interning at places to try and get some suggestions and connections for early internships/jobs that can help me with this process
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mohq07 mohq07
bumpp...................
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BusterBaxter BusterBaxter

@Subtle wrote
To be honest, bmos isn't the greatest program. And IF you don't get accepted for Ivey third year (which is very likely since it's competitive), it's gonna be hard to break into finance.

Do you have any other offers? Say for example Laurier or Waterloo or anything. I'm sure you're given the same amount of consideration if you transfer from another school. This way, even if you get rejected by Ivey in your third year, you still have a decent degree (not saying bmos is bad, there are just better choices).

As said in another thread, people on SA put too much hype into professional programs, and think they'll end up working at McDonalds if they don't go to Ivey/queens/Schulich/Rotman, etc.... Coming from someone in BMOS who had the same apprehensions as the OP, I can say the bad rap BMOS gets on SA is a bit unfair. There are many opportunities for BMOS students and I've met numerous second, third and fourth years who are thriving. Ask profs, who themselves have gone to Ivey, what they truly think of the BMOS program and many will tell you that they've seen many people go very far after graduating from BMOS, and that Ivey is only worth it if your parents can afford it. While I don't completely agree on the latter part, it does mean something that profs are saying this.

Truth is, you will learn what you need to know in any business program at most universities. Gaining relevant work experience, building up your resume, demonstrating initiative and leadership, and acing your interviews is all up to YOU. Not your degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
If your average is high enough you could always call McMaster or Ryerson and see if they'd still accept you (you'd obviously have to be about 5% above the cutoff though).

If business is what you enjoy, then BMOS is probably your best bet. You could always try to transfer after 1st year too. Or, like you said, work your butt off and get into Ivey
Was this helpful? Yes 0