yconic - BMOS
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

BMOS

A photo of LLUS LLUS
Can someone describe the case study method of BMOS?

Thank you
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17
BMOS does not use the case study method.

/thread.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LLUS LLUS
They don't? My friend's sister told me that she had class of case study four years ago. God!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mvplayur mvplayur

@LLUS wrote
They don't? My friend's sister told me that she had class of case study four years ago. God!

There are only two courses i believe that have elements of the case study method implemented to them. I believe you're confusing BMOS and Ivey?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LLUS LLUS

@mvplayur wrote

@LLUS wrote

There are only two courses i believe that have elements of the case study method implemented to them. I believe you're confusing BMOS and Ivey?

My friend's sister was in BMOS four years ago and she said she took some courses that have case study. So the TWO COURSES you mentioned are only courses that a BMOS student will take throughout the four years?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LLUS LLUS

@mvplayur wrote

@LLUS wrote

My friend's sister was in BMOS four years ago and she said she took some courses that have case study. So the TWO COURSES you mentioned are only courses that a BMOS student will take throughout the four years?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BusterBaxter BusterBaxter
BeyondSection I have no idea what you are talking about.. BMOS DOES use the case study method. It's a common fact.

Business 1220 is the first year BMOS course that uses the case study method.
Business 2257 is the second year BMOS course that uses the case study method.

Both 1220 and 2257 are administered by Ivey. You take the course at Main Campus/Affiliate but you use Ivey-prepared course materials.

For Business 1220...
Basically your prof assigns you a case, it's usually 5 pages of background information and another 5 pages of exhibits (ie. Financial documents). You try the case on your own, prior to class, first and your prof will take it up during class. You will learn how to structure your answer to a case study, and how to go about making a decision. It's a really fun learning method and allows for a lot of class discussion. Every case has numerous qualitative and quantitative aspects to consider, so everyone comes to class with a different answer to the case. Just because Person A and Person B have completely different answers doesn't mean they both can't get an 80, so to speak. Business 1220 is all about evaluating a business or situation, making assumptions, qualitative/quantitative analysis, making a decision, and being able to support your decision. The case method is very unique and a good learning experience.

Business 2257 is a little less case oriented than 1220 because there is great focus on learning accounting principles.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BusterBaxter wrote
BeyondSection I have no idea what you are talking about.. BMOS DOES use the case study method. It's a common fact.

Both 1220 and 2257 are administered by Ivey. You take the course at Main Campus/Affiliate but you use Ivey-prepared course materials.

For Business 1220...
Basically your prof assigns you a case, it's usually 5 pages of background information and another 5 pages of exhibits (ie. Financial documents). You try the case on your own, prior to class, first and your prof will take it up during class. You will learn how to structure your answer to a case study, and how to go about making a decision. It's a really fun learning method and allows for a lot of class discussion. Every case has numerous qualitative and quantitative aspects to consider, so everyone comes to class with a different answer to the case. Just because Person A and Person B have completely different answers doesn't mean they both can't get an 80, so to speak. Business 1220 is all about evaluating a business or situation, making assumptions, qualitative/quantitative analysis, making a decision, and being able to support your decision. The case method is very unique and a good learning experience.

Business 2257 is a little less case oriented than 1220 because there is great focus on learning accounting principles.

BusterBaxter, Business 1220 and Business 2257 are in no way affiliated with BMOS at all. I actually do know what I'm talking about - I took 1220 and I'm taking 2257 next year. These are pre-business courses offered by Ivey, and have absolutely nothing to do with BMOS courses (eg. MOS or Econ).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LLUS LLUS

@beyondsection17 wrote

@BusterBaxter wrote

For Business 1220...

BusterBaxter, Business 1220 and Business 2257 are in no way affiliated with BMOS at all. I actually do know what I'm talking about - I took 1220 and I'm taking 2257 next year. These are pre-business courses offered by Ivey, and have absolutely nothing to do with BMOS courses (eg. MOS or Econ).

So as a BMOS student without AEO status ,I can't take Business 1220,2257?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LLUS wrote

@beyondsection17 wrote

@BusterBaxter wrote

For Business 1220...

So as a BMOS student without AEO status ,I can't take Business 1220,2257?

You absolutely can. They're elective courses open to everyone on campus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BusterBaxter BusterBaxter
They stopped putting Business 1220 as a required course for BMOS in 2010, so as to differentiate themselves from Ivey, but nearly every BMOS student continues to take 1220. Sure, technically speaking 1220 isn't a "BMOS course", i shouldnt have written it that way, but You can bet 99.9% of SAO volunteers will encourage BMOS students to take the course. 1220 is still a pre-req at the affiliated colleges too.

Bus2257 is a REQUIRED course for BMOS students. You need it to continue in any specialization in BMOS. Ivey administers it, but that doesn't really matter.

Hence why the case study method is "used" in BMOS.

Just chill.
Was this helpful? Yes 0