yconic - BOMBED Advanced Functions, do I still have a chance?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

BOMBED Advanced Functions, do I still have a chance?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@mathisfun123 wrote
Well I just asked my teacher for my Advanced Functions mark, and it was a 76. :pale: To be more technical, it was a 76.48 (only 0.02% away!).

Well to be fair, our school has the most rigorous Math department in the entire Peel region (excluding Turner Fenton) and our school's math marks are low. The maximum mark at our school (before exams) was a 90, and there were only two 80s after that. Our math teachers always tell us that universities favour us and boost our averages (like McMaster or Waterloo) because of this.

But man, I am soooo depressed over this mark. My chemistry and physics marks are in the high 80s, and this semester I can work my butt off for mid-90s in Calculus, Data Management, English and Biology because my Calculus/Data teacher is the only "non-rigorous marking" teacher in the entire department. I didn't get 90s before because I started the semester with a part-time job and that kinda screwed me over in the beginning until I quit.

So my question is do I still have a chance for Waterloo engineering? What if I place well in the Euclid math competition?

Let me take a wild guess. You go to Rick Hansen?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
26 replies

A photo of thewright thewright

@mathisfun123 wrote
Well I just asked my teacher for my Advanced Functions mark, and it was a 76. :pale: To be more technical, it was a 76.48 (only 0.02% away!).

Well to be fair, our school has the most rigorous Math department in the entire Peel region (excluding Turner Fenton) and our school's math marks are low. The maximum mark at our school (before exams) was a 90, and there were only two 80s after that. Our math teachers always tell us that universities favour us and boost our averages (like McMaster or Waterloo) because of this.

But man, I am soooo depressed over this mark. My chemistry and physics marks are in the high 80s, and this semester I can work my butt off for mid-90s in Calculus, Data Management, English and Biology because my Calculus/Data teacher is the only "non-rigorous marking" teacher in the entire department. I didn't get 90s before because I started the semester with a part-time job and that kinda screwed me over in the beginning until I quit.

So my question is do I still have a chance for Waterloo engineering? What if I place well in the Euclid math competition?

Let me take a wild guess. You go to Rick Hansen?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of danielwatt danielwatt
This is why Canada needs a standardized test on top of the normal academic marks.

Anyways, you can't do much about it at this point, maybe take online school or something? You still have a chance depending on the rest of you marks, I mean the average to get into waterloo engineering is mid-80s, so a 75 shouldn't drag you down too much if your other marks are good. I don't think they'll weigh your adv func mark over your calculus or physics mark! WORK HARD BROSKI!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SevenFlow SevenFlow
If you are legitimately good at math and have done waterloo contests while achieving good results then I'm sure that waterloo will value your contest results over your unusually low mark. Also you may want to write something about that in your extenuating circumstances or something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@SevenFlow wrote
If you are legitimately good at math and have done waterloo contests while achieving good results then I'm sure that waterloo will value your contest results over your unusually low mark. Also you may want to write something about that in your extenuating circumstances or something.

That's kinda iffy...Waterloo only really looks at contest scores for scholarships and special programs. I don't see the admissions committee preferring someone with an 85 with good to decent contest scores over someone with an 88+ with even average scores. But that's all up to them so I guess I can't give an answer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This was our advance function polynomials test, without the thinking section ( teacher's don't give it back ). It's way difficult in comparison to other school's test I have looked at ( homework questions on test).
http://www.2shared.com/file/FuuadNNW/unittest1polynomialfunctions.html
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheKey TheKey

@thewright wrote
This was our advance function polynomials test, without the thinking section ( teacher's don't give it back ). It's way difficult in comparison to other school's test I have looked at ( homework questions on test).

Your test is very similar to mine, but a bit shorter. Maybe it is because we had our Thinking and Inquiry during a seperate day.

Some of the teachers can make our math quizes/tests really hard.

@mathisfun123 wrote

Well to be fair, our school has the most rigorous Math department in the entire Peel region (excluding Turner Fenton) and our school's math marks are low.

I'm wondering, what school do you go to? :o

@mathisfun123 wrote

Just work hard to the best of your ability. If you do get those mid 90's, I don't see why you can't get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@TheKey wrote

@thewright wrote

Your test is very similar to mine, but a bit shorter. Maybe it is because we had our Thinking and Inquiry during a seperate day.

Some of the teachers can make our math quizes/tests really hard.

@mathisfun123 wrote

Well to be fair, our school has the most rigorous Math department in the entire Peel region (excluding Turner Fenton) and our school's math marks are low.

I'm wondering, what school do you go to? :o

@mathisfun123 wrote

Just work hard to the best of your ability. If you do get those mid 90's, I don't see why you can't get in.

I'm guessing he/she goes to Rick Hansen. I know lots of friends that complain that advance functions there is quite difficult.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of jelly jelly

@thewright wrote

Nothing really sticks out to me as difficult... seems like a pretty standard, fair test.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote

@thewright wrote

Nothing really sticks out to me as difficult... seems like a pretty standard, fair test.

Yeah it wasn't easy by any means, but definitely fair.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote

@thewright wrote

Yeah, this was our easiest, along with the inequalities. Rationals test was 6 pages long.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@thewright wrote

Is that from one of those private schools where you pay for your marks?
[size=1]
:troll:[/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly

@thewright wrote

@jelly wrote

@thewright wrote

Yeah, this was our easiest, along with the inequalities. Rationals test was 6 pages long.

Aren't all tests 5-6 pages long..?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote

@thewright wrote

@jelly wrote

@thewright wrote

Aren't all tests 5-6 pages long..?

It's from a public school. And, on legal paper, not letter. Also, we weren't allowed using calculators for trig or log tests.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@thewright wrote

This is either of equal difficulty or easier than what I took in Alberta for Math 30. I am not sure what the issue is with this test, it's very straightforward.

If you can't handle routine exercises like this, you will not be able to succeed in a post-secondary mathematics education. I suspect you just need to put more effort into this. In particular, for engineering, where math is very similar to this.

But I don't think you need to freak out about your mark. Waterloo genuinely does give your average a boost based on your high school if it has a history of marking harder. Additionally, your science marks are just as important as your math for engineering. If you do well in calc and your sciences, I imagine you'll be fine.

And remember, your AIF is very important. It can add significantly to your entrance score.

For the lulz, here are three example assignments from the regular level math major calc from the MathSoc website:
http://mathsoc.uwaterloo.ca/FirstYear/assignment

Here is the first MATH 147 (advanced calc 1) assignment from this fall:
http://www.student.math.uwaterloo.ca/~math147/Assignments/Assignment1.pdf

To give you an idea of university-level expectations. Engineering math is notably easier than this.

Oh yeah, and if the course requires use of a calculator, it's not testing the right things.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brady23 brady23
Sorry to hear about the hard math teacher, I know what's that like. But think about it. People in my school who got a 76 in Advanced Functions are getting 85 in University, so in a way, the teacher really is preparing you for university (but the downside is that it might be harder to get accepted).

Why don't you retake Advanced Functions? I know Waterloo takes about 1% off your average, but that is like -6% when you retake it. If you get a 94 when you retake it, it will be like you got an 88 in it, and your average will increase by 2%.

Think about it. But I think your mark is fine, especially if you do really well in your 5 other courses. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Makise Makise

@thewright wrote

I go to Turner, g12 IB and that test is not difficult. You're kidding yourself. Study.
EDIT: And I was SL math btw.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Makise wrote
I go to Turner, g12 IB and that test is not difficult. You're kidding yourself. Study.

Are you trying to imply that test is easier than SL math? SL math is pretty much the same as just normal gr 12 functions and calculus with some integration on top. And we get to use our fancy calculators. lulz
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sapper1815 Sapper1815

@brady23 wrote

Why don't you retake Advanced Functions? I know Waterloo takes about 1% off your average, but that is like -6% when you retake it. If you get a 94 when you retake it, it will be like you got an 88 in it, and your average will increase by 2%.

Waterloo engineering takes up to 5% off your overall average for repeated courses, so unless you can raise the grade by at least 30% it's not worth repeating.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Makise Makise

@iliketurtles wrote

@Makise wrote

Are you trying to imply that test is easier than SL math? SL math is pretty much the same as just normal gr 12 functions and calculus with some integration on top. And we get to use our fancy calculators. lulz

yes, that is exactly what im am implying. We werent allowed our gdcs for this test. I dont even think you needed a calc iirc.lulz?

this is not a test, its a quiz.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vshubh123 vshubh123

@thewright wrote

bro, that test was soft. But still the test is not to blame it is your teacher. Our teacher took off marks for stuff he did not teach us. Stuff that was out of the book. Even though out of all 3 classes no one got that question rite - he still marked it. That question alone was worth 4% on the test.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Makise wrote

@iliketurtles wrote

@Makise wrote

yes, that is exactly what im am implying. We werent allowed our gdcs for this test. I dont even think you needed a calc iirc.lulz?

Maybe it's because we go to different schools, but the test/quiz OP showed us was no easier than the tests we got for that unit. The functions part of SL math was pretty much the same as gr 12 functions. Granted, our teacher did omit a lot of units (we only did trig/log/some rational functions on top of the polynomials) and our entire functions portion of the curriculum was summed up in 2 tests, with no quizzes. The only "hard" part of SL math was integration (which is easier than AP) and some of the stats stuff.
And yeah you didn't need the GDC for that particular unit but it did make the whole course A LOT easier imo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mechboyy mechboyy

@iliketurtles wrote

@Makise wrote

@iliketurtles wrote

@Makise wrote

Maybe it's because we go to different schools, but the test/quiz OP showed us was no easier than the tests we got for that unit. The functions part of SL math was pretty much the same as gr 12 functions. Granted, our teacher did omit a lot of units (we only did trig/log/some rational functions on top of the polynomials) and our entire functions portion of the curriculum was summed up in 2 tests, with no quizzes. The only "hard" part of SL math was integration (which is easier than AP) and some of the stats stuff.
And yeah you didn't need the GDC for that particular unit but it did make the whole course A LOT easier imo.

Makise, you need to calm the hell down. Fenton IB is not the cream of the crop. All in all, it doesnt matter what school you go to... high school is a joke. period. (You only realize this until you enter university). The only thing highschool prepares you for is how to study and how to discipline yourself. (Dont say "OMG I dont even study and still get 95's"... HA! BS. Just wait till you get to uni and see how far that takes you).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Makise Makise

@mechboyy wrote

@iliketurtles wrote

@Makise wrote

@iliketurtles wrote

@Makise wrote

Makise, you need to calm the hell down. Fenton IB is not the cream of the crop. All in all, it doesnt matter what school you go to... high school is a joke. period. (You only realize this until you enter university). The only thing highschool prepares you for is how to study and how to discipline yourself. (Dont say "OMG I dont even study and still get 95's"... HA! BS. Just wait till you get to uni and see how far that takes you).

I never said anything of the sort. Of course you have to study. I was talking about how this "test" was supposedly difficult. Calm the hell down? Really?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MYDARKHEALTHSCIFANTASY MYDARKHEALTHSCIFANTASY
Pretty much no one in this thread knows what they're talking about except for mechhboyy
Was this helpful? Yes 0