yconic - Books - what to read next?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Books - what to read next?

A photo of Mar Mar
What to read next? What are you reading? What was your favourite book?

I just finished reading 2 books and I LOVED them

"The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway and "How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie
Was this helpful? Yes 0
78 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
TWILIGHT.
:batman:
Just kidding.
I love anything by Nicholas Sparks, but I'm a girl that loves sappy romance novel.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mar Mar

@cyynthiia wrote
TWILIGHT.
:batman:
Just kidding.
I love anything by Nicholas Sparks, but I'm a girl that loves sappy romance novel.

hey, I am a guy and I read romance novels too :cheers: "The Count of Monte Cristo" is my favourite romance novel.

Twilight is actually on my list since a lot of girls read that book or watched a movie lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uoftlover uoftlover
If you like post-apocalyptic literature, read :
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley,
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
... or 1984 by George Orwell

BNW and 1984 are CLASSIC MUST-READS!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@Mar wrote
hey, I am a guy and I read romance novels too :cheers: "The Count of Monte Cristo" is my favourite romance novel.

Twilight is actually on my list since a lot of girls read that book or watched a movie lol

I actually saw the movie for that. I never read the book but saw the movie. Although.. I was only in.. grade.. 5? So I didn't really understand what on Earth was going on.

@uoftlover wrote

I had to read that book in 3 days over the summer for English 12 summer school. It was a pretty good book though, not going to lie.
It's very futuristic and strange, takes some time before everything makes sense.
I also heard 1984 is pretty good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@uoftlover wrote

You forgot A Clockwork Orange. Although the film is even better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pandasbox pandasbox
I hated 1984, Orwell wrote with the agility an elephant in muck. The storyline was pretty dry and the characters were so underdeveloped. Brave New World was a much more interesting read, I finished it in a few days too. A Clockwork Orange was pretty amazing, I recommend both the book and the movie (the book is underrated in my opinion). I also suggest the movie Fahrenheit 451, it was pretty intense, but I haven't read the book yet.

Also, have you read Lolita? I'm not sure how you feel about dark humor, but Lolita was the most disturbing and at the same time hilarious thing I've ever read. If you can't stand the sick plot, read it for the gorgeous language.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AlDonato AlDonato
The above suggestions are good. Clockwork Orange is a fantastic read.

Here's a fiction rec I've been working on. Some I'm considering because of the hype and others I've thoroughly enjoyed/still reading.

-Lolita
-American Psycho
-The Green Mile
-Catch 22
-Dreams of Terror and Death by HP Lovercraft
-Catcher in the Rye
-House of Leaves
-Anything in the Discworld series
-The Portrait of Dorian Gray
-The Outsiders
-Hellbent

The old Holmes books are pretty good too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of moshkeri moshkeri
what's a "book"? :P

i didnt know people still read those things
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brownielover brownielover
Hey! Anyone who likes a scary book once in a while should read "Room" by Emma Donoghue. Normally I try to stay away from anything creepy, but this book, narrated by a 5 year old, is a must read!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stephen27 stephen27
Try "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood. It's one of my personal favorites. A great piece of Dystopian literature :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I would really like to read "Animal Farm" by George Orwell and "Loneliness: Human Nature and the Need for Social Connection" by John T. Cacioppo. My favourite book that I have read would be "Something Borrowed" by Emily Giffin because the character's personality related to me 100%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emilyharrod emilyharrod
if you haven't read the full Harry Potter series you are missing out!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shaklamb shaklamb
I'm currently reading the S*** My Dad Says book, which is absolutely hilarious(much better that horrible TV show).

Some great books that I've read recently include The Accidental Billionaires(the inspiration behind The Social Network), World War Z, Lord of The Flies The Zombie Survival Guide, and Strike Back.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chuiya Chuiya
read the series millenium!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rochrox rochrox
An Abundance of Katherines or Looking for Alaska by John Green :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iwalkintowalls iwalkintowalls
If you like dark imagery and faeries with attitude, Holly Black's Tithe series is a good one. And just coming out of English lit 12, I can tell you that trashy young adult romance novels (Hush Hush, Fallen) are good to read to make yourself stop thinking in a British accent. XD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of becca88 becca88
I've read all the harry potter books. right now I'm trying to finish all the books that are in series but many of them. the Author is Terry Brooks. i love his books. just haven't been able to finish since i now have a child, work full time, house to clean, and going to be going to school full time. do not have much me or quite time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of food13 food13
READ A VARIETY OF GENERA'S...because i sure dont!

READ THE SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS BY LEMONEY SNICKET
READ THE UGLIES SERIES BY SCOTT WESTERFIELD...i think
READ SHAKESPEARE!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Mar Mar
I would never read Harry Potter novels even if you paid me lol

I read 1984 and I found it interesting since I love learning about politics and different ideologies. I just started reading another Novel written by George Orwell - "Animal Farm"
George Orwell did a really good job and put some interesting points in his novels.

I would really love to read some of the classic novels written by Russian, British and American writers. Unfortunately my English is not good enough and when I see a lot of old british words I don't understand I get frustrated.

Anyone can advise me a book which is not hard to understand, where writer is using good grammar structure and interesting plot? For example, a book similar to "The Old man and the sea"

Thank you for your feedback guys and girls
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Who's Your City by Richard Florida. Read the Canadian version.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ariellew29 ariellew29
I loved The Hunger Games series. Interesting and disturbing at the same time. I have to get around to reading the Harry Potter series, lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BrittV BrittV
Life of Pi, Still Alice
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ShawnaB24 ShawnaB24
I want to read The Hunger Games series, but I'm not sure if I will like them. I read the Pretty Little Liars series, and I liked them a lot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
"The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins.
Was this helpful? Yes 0