yconic - Bottom 6
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Bottom 6

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
This is kinda random, but...

What if it wasn't your top 6, it was your bottom 6?

Because people are only as good as their weakest attributes.

And stops people taking just a few bird/private/summer courses.

I don't know what I'm trying to say here, but discuss. :clown:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@johnnycanuck wrote

Hmm. That does sound interesting. If you are smart, your bottom 6 should be in a similar range to your top 6...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@heesoup wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

Hmm. That does sound interesting. If you are smart, your bottom 6 should be in a similar range to your top 6...

It could mean more well-rounded students instead of someone who gets a 99 in English with an easy teacher, a couple 90s in bird courses, and then 80s in math and sci. Or vice versa.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
I kind of like it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LXY LXY
If it were bottom 6, I would not have try to get 13 gr 12 credits... I'd aim for.... 7
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of artyboy artyboy
I only have 6 12U courses, so it wouldn't matter if it were my top 6 or my bottom 6. Engineering requires eng, calc, physics, chem, and adv functions, with only one optional 12U/M course, so I just took easy comm tech.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AsianFail93 AsianFail93
For what its worth, it is a decent idea (basically it does remove bird courses). BUT people who have 6 courses on the dot (and 3 bird courses) has a major advantage over a person who took sciences/something painful as well as bird courses.

Now this would be much more even if it was completely required to have >6 grade 12 courses
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@AsianFail93 wrote
For what its worth, it is a decent idea (basically it does remove bird courses). BUT people who have 6 courses on the dot (and 3 bird courses) has a major advantage over a person who took sciences/something painful as well as bird courses.

Now this would be much more even if it was completely required to have >6 grade 12 courses

That's a good point.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hapmie hapmie
Well, it's not as if they pick the courses at random. They select the courses that are needed for your program like sciences: calculus, advance F, English and 2 of chemistry, biology and physics. then only 1 bird course
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
Pedagogically this makes no sense. The general consensus is that it doesn't matter when the learning takes place, so long as it does. By doing this you're encouraging people to not upgrade their marks and learn what they didn't the first time around. To be blunt, bad idea.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Ba Ba Blue wrote
Pedagogically this makes no sense. The general consensus is that it doesn't matter when the learning takes place, so long as it does. By doing this you're encouraging people to not upgrade their marks and learn what they didn't the first time around. To be blunt, bad idea.

Why wouldn't people upgrade marks? They would still want high marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
Because I'm under the assumption that the lower mark would be counted since it would be bottom 6. If the higher mark was still counted, this might be bad as well because it encourages people to only take 6 U level courses. Consider the idea that people want their highest mark to be included in their entry average, so they only take 6 to ensure it is...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North
Would have totally sucked for me considering I had 12 4U/M courses when I graduated laast year...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Wouldn't have made much of a difference for me, I took 9 4U courses. And my lowest mark (English) was a prereq so it was already included anyways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
I would have the same mark. I only took the 6 grade 12 courses I needed, no bird courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0