yconic - Brock Accounting no coop
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Brock Accounting no coop

A photo of marvin1992 marvin1992
Should I go for this to get my CMA or should I go to Western BMOS. I am worried about the no coop part. Is it possible to transfer to coop second year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of PhoebeCaulfield1234 PhoebeCaulfield1234
cma
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of okstudent okstudent
CMA!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gassergasser gassergasser
F*ck yeah CMA!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
CMA designation are actually REALLY good. I don't know why more people don't go for them. I seriously considered it myself.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara
OP, you know that you don't need to start a new thread for every question that pops into your head.

You can ask all these questions in posts on one thread, you don't need to start mulitple threads so that we have people replying to questions you aren't interested in knowing the answer to anymore.

Related questions go into ONE thread. Do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

Oh, btw you can't easily transfer into co-op. Not that its impossible, but I imagine it would be tricky. The only difference between Bacc co-op and Bacc no co-op is the co-op obviously lol. The part where someone employs you. The entire co-op/employment process starts in first year, the applications, the job searches, employers searching for you, the interviews, all that stuff starts in first year.
You can't just switch into a program second year and expect someone to hand you a job as soon as you do just because the program has "co-op" in the title, it doesn't work that way.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

sorry about that

But do yo know anyone who has been to Western Huron BMOS and Carleton because they are pretty much even for CMA but one has to be a little better. I am looking for quality education and easily obtainable interships/coop.
Heres what I think

Carleton BCOMM

Pros
-in the Capital City(lots of connections)
-graduate with a BCOMM
-can choose two areas of concentration
-recent success in case competetions
-excellent alumni
-admitted into coop right away
-have sharwama
-CMA accredited

Cons
-coop placements might not be as great
-reputation isnt the greatest
-building dnt look that great
-some companies in Toronto might not come to Ottawa
-far and very expensive
-place seems extremely boring

Western Huron BMOS

Pros
-campus looks good
-ok reputation
-smaller classes
-internships are great
-taking classes at any of the affiliate colleges
-great city
-CMA accredited
-closer to home

Cons
-BMOS is a social science degree
-parties might distract me from doing my work
-Huron is looked down upon????
-no great BMOS Alumni
-not lots of info on this program

I think that bith are even but a really need help choosing one. If I am happy with a choice I would stop posting commment honestly b/c this decision is bothering me. If anyone would post comments about their experiences from these schools or what they know that would greatly be appreciated. Remember I want a CMA, good school, and working experience
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
Carleton IMO
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Same situation here, applied to Co-Op, got an alternate offer without co-op...:(...called Brock though and they said if I can maintain an 80% first year, I should qualify for Co-Op....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@thecookiemonster wrote
Carleton IMO

DO you know anyone at Carleton who graduated with a BCOM?
Is it better than Western if you want to get an MBA or MA accountancy
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Geo wrote
I just finished first year with the co-op option at Brock and here are a few things:

1. To be considered for early co-op you need 85%+ major average after first semester. Only 15 people out of 200+ achieved that

2. It is NOT possible to transfer into co-op. Co-op starts second year and you would be behind with your courses if you weren't already in co-op during first year. You can transfer into BBA co-op but not BAcc. You can get an internship, but that is a lot harder and they're mostly crappy internships such as Canadian Tire.

3. With the BAcc, you need 70%+ major average or you get kicked out (co-op and non co-op). I easily got 88 so you don't need to worry about that. However, around 50 people get kicked out each year but its mostly people who took online courses to get into uni.

4. After graduation, you're already a level 4 CGA and are exempt from 2 of your 3 tests for CMA I believe, so its pretty good if you want to become a CMA

5. A lot of people think "stupid" people come to Brock. That may be for the art programs, but for accounting I personally knew people who came from the IB program, people with 90+ averages (I was one as well), and many people rejected schools such as Queen's and Ivey AEO for the co-op option at Brock.

6. Big4 + BDO recruits at Brock as well. BDO takes around 15 people each year, and the Big4 take around 4 students each. Its a really good school for accounting especially if you have the co-op option.

That sounds like some really nice advice and you've directed my mind into thinking its better to come to Brock to become a CA than repeat a year to try to get Queens/Mac
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround

@Geo wrote
2. It is NOT possible to transfer into co-op. Co-op starts second year and you would be behind with your courses if you weren't already in co-op during first year. You can transfer into BBA co-op but not BAcc. You can get an internship, but that is a lot harder and they're mostly crappy internships such as Canadian Tire.

Pretty sure it is possible man. And what courses would you be behind in? 0N90? Worst comes to worst he'd probably only miss the first co-op term, as he could take it with all the first years kinds in second year. I barely stayed for the duration of 0N90 classes anyway
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Janakan Janakan
how's the atmosphere at brock? got accepted the BAcc and giving it a hard look.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted