yconic - Brock Accounting: Questions Answered
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Brock Accounting: Questions Answered

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
I am a Second Year BAcc Co-op student with a placement at Brock. Any questions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
33 replies

A photo of v70 v70
In another post Joshki grouped Brock's BAcc in with WLU. You replied with a ? Any particular reason for the response, I'm looking at Brock's BAcc co-op.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I was just wondering why he hadn't included Brock.
Brock Accounting is one of the better programs in the province if you are looking at obtaining your CA designation. You get all 51 credit hours at Brock, 16 months work experience through the co-op program (assuming you get a placement), and it's cheaper than Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of v70 v70
What was the cut-off last year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

2 years ago it was 84 for co-op. I assume last year was the same
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
how easy is it to get a co-op job?...what type of marks did you have?...how hard is it to get good marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheGnarlyKid TheGnarlyKid
I planning to go in the accounting direction. Whats the marks you need to get in Brock?
Could someone name some top accounting school?
I heard Ryerson is going to have a accounting program, does anyone know anything about it?
I live in Waterloo right and I know Waterloo has a really good program and Laurier is great for business too but I'm thinking of moving out of this area since I've been living here all my life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn

@TheGnarlyKid wrote
I planning to go in the accounting direction. Whats the marks you need to get in Brock?
I heard Ryerson is going to have a accounting program, does anyone know anything about it?
I live in Waterloo right and I know Waterloo has a really good program and Laurier is great for business too but I'm thinking of moving out of this area since I've been living here all my life.

I'll just answer the top accounting schools part.
Best ones are Waterloo and Schulich. Other great ones are Ivey, Queens, Brock, and Laurier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of v70 v70
To the OP, are you starting your first co-op session next semester? If so, how difficult was it to land the co-op job?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@TheGnarlyKid wrote

An 84 or so should get you into the accounting co-op program. Over 80 will get you into accounting non co-op.

@Viking21 wrote
how easy is it to get a co-op job?...what type of marks did you have?...how hard is it to get good marks?

@v70 wrote
To the OP, are you starting your first co-op session next semester? If so, how difficult was it to land the co-op job?

Yes i am starting my first co-op term next semester (Winter semester of 2nd year).

Landing a co-op job was somewhat difficult. Networking was a big plus for me and it helped me land one of my offers which i ended up going with. I did have multiple offers. There seemed to be more big 4 acceptances this year than in the past couple of years at Brock as well. The co-op process is extremely competitive at any school. I would be EXTREMELY surprised if any school can truthfully post a CATO rate above 60%. Brock's is around 40-50.

I had an 82 average with pretty decent extra curriculars (I volunteered abroad over spring break and was in the Brock Finance Club). In first year I didn't find it overly difficult to get decent marks. I could have done a lot better if I didn't spend all of my free time being social. Brock has lower admission averages and the majority of students tend to have lower averages, this makes it relatively easy to stand out among your class. The odds are if I had gone to Waterloo with the same average, I wouldn't have had the same job offers. The accounting firms tend to hire equally among schools based on the size of their programs, not "prestige" lol.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of v70 v70
What sort of networking did you do? What does CATO stand for?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Brock had a number of CA nights where representatives from various size firms came. I met people at firms I was interested in applying at, and it made a big difference during interviews. I did have a family friend introduce me to a recruiter at another firm which was a big plus.

CATO = CA Training Offices (Official ones where you can get CA accredited hours in Tax, Audit etc.). Not all Accounting Firms are CATO's
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
I'm considering brock accounting but have never took accounting or anything of that sort in high school before, how much of a disadvantage am I going to be at?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of cloverhannah cloverhannah
I also have a questions. I've applied for Brock's BBA coop, and I regret now because Brock's best program is BAcc. BTW, what do think about BBA's coop? do you think the coop offers are good? Or very competitive?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of v70 v70
I think you'd be VERY safe with a low 90's average, not only at Brock but pretty much everywhere.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
Don't worry, I know for a fact there's no supplementary for brock.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cloverhannah wrote
I also have a questions. I've applied for Brock's BBA coop, and I regret now because Brock's best program is BAcc. BTW, what do think about BBA's coop? do you think the coop offers are good? Or very competitive?

You can still apply to BAcc co-op. When i was applying I didn't apply to BAcc co-op until mid May. (I was in BBA co-op already at that point).

BBA Co-op is a pretty general business degree with a summer co-op option. Brock does have some pretty decent connections within the Niagara region and the GTA. The co-op office will set up a job board where all of Brock's affiliate companies, ranging anywhere from banks to mining companies, will post openings for summer positions which is very helpful. Any co-op program is competitive in general, so getting good marks should be one of your top priorities if you are set on a co-op position at a top company.

There are no supplementry forms to fill out at Brock and you will be VERY safe witha low 90s average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of refresh905 refresh905
What are the requirements for transfer students with completion of 3 year college diploma in accounting and finance to Bacc Accounting co-op and non co-op?

Gpa of 3.7-3.8

thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@refresh905 wrote
What are the requirements for transfer students with completion of 3 year college diploma in accounting and finance to Bacc Accounting co-op and non co-op?

Gpa of 3.7-3.8

thanks

Very good question, and one I don't think I really have the answer to...

Without going back to first year, you are automatically ruled out of the co-op stream. It depends what Brock accepts from the courses you have already completed as prerequisits for later years in BAcc non co-op. My reccomendation is to contact Brock admissions as they might have a better answer for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of refresh905 refresh905
I got accepted to Bacc (non-coop) and ryerson bcomm-accounting. Do think bacc non-coop is reputable among employers? and should I choose it over ryerson?

thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of thewright thewright

@CMA2014 wrote

@aeryn wrote

@TheGnarlyKid wrote

Best ones are Waterloo and Schulich. Other great ones are Ivey, Queens, Brock, and Laurier.

Queen's is the best.

It goes like this for accounting - Queen's > Schulich > Ivey > Waterloo > Schools for idiots

You should hit the weights and get off studentawards, dumb f*cking troll.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of thewright thewright

@CMA2014 wrote

@thewright wrote

@CMA2014 wrote

@aeryn wrote

@TheGnarlyKid wrote

Queen's is the best.

It goes like this for accounting - Queen's > Schulich > Ivey > Waterloo > Schools for idiots

You should hit the weights and get off studentawards, dumb f*cking troll.

already did, this morning. f@g. how much do you squat?

Calling me a bleep? Can you stop discouraging others by calling other schools crap? I'm sure there have been some successful people from " school for idiots" that have gone further in life then the schools you recall greater.

And I Bench 250, Squat 230, DL 275.
Was this helpful? Yes 0