yconic - Brock Accounting
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Brock Accounting

A photo of amped860 amped860
Just letting anybody who accepted to Brock's Accounting Program without the CO-OP they have a couple spots left with it! PM me if you have any questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of apark17 apark17
what percentage of students get CATO or BIG 4?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround

@apark17 wrote
what percentage of students get CATO or BIG 4?

It's pretty low. probably in the 5% range. But it's partly due to the fact that most kids don't want big 4 placements. I have interviews coming up. maybe i'll raise the rate
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dreamswharton dreamswharton
5% Really? I expected more from a specialized accounting program with co-op?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@dreamswharton wrote
5% Really? I expected more from a specialized accounting program with co-op?

There are still more prestigious schools out there they can recruit from. Not saying Brock isn't good! It definitely is! If you're set on accounting it's a good program. To put it into perspective, there are also better schools than Queen's.

@kiddinaround wrote
It's pretty low. probably in the 5% range. But it's partly due to the fact that most kids don't want big 4 placements. I have interviews coming up. maybe i'll raise the rate

Why don't many people want it? :o

And good luck man (or girl)!:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@TKBCOM14 wrote
Too bad laurier is not one of them.

LMFAO the only words you hear are Queen's so I'm not too worried.

And FYI, yes the Big 4 DEFINITELY, not only recruit, but offer co-ops with Laurier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dreamswharton dreamswharton
I know but still only 5%? what's the point of being so specialized then...and ^ don't listen to TKB that dude knows less than a high school kid.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dreamswharton wrote
I know but still only 5%? what's the point of being so specialized then...and ^ don't listen to TKB that dude knows less than a high school kid.

Yeah I still would have thought it would be like ~10-15%

But this is just the Big 4, so obviously that's going to be one of the toughest to get as they're pretty well-respected. They still probably have a bunch of other firms which recruit from it which still pay great and stuff.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dreamswharton wrote

Well, I would say 5% of kids who ENTER the program get it. You have to take out the kids who don't meet the minimum requirements, so 100 or so of the 250, that leaves you with 150 or so kids, then you have to take out the kids who are already placed with family/friends and not going through co-op process, so about 10 of 150, then you have to take out the kids who do not want big 4 (roughly 50%) so that leaves you with about 70 kids. Around 6-8 students get placed at big 4 yearly (average over last 3 years). So taking the median of 7 students/70 or so applicants you get about a 10% rate. I have also not excluded the ones who don't want to work in the Toronto as well. I could really be overstating the amount of kids applying for big 4 positions. Many are happy to be in medium or smaller sized firms in the burlington, oakville, missisauga, and Niagara regions. Even some in Ottawa.

@Username81 wrote

Why don't many people want it? :o

And good luck man (or girl)!:cheers:

I found a lot of Brock Accounting students come from much smaller towns then Waterloo or Laurier students (just from asking around and my own observations with friends at Laurier and Waterloo (no real statistics, a generalization). Some of them seem to really dislike working in Toronto because they think its unsafe, expensive, or simply don't want to deal with traffic. Seeing this, many of the big 4 applicants apply for big 4 offices outside the city, which have less positions available, hence a lower placement rate.

Taking a survey of about 10 people in the program who I was friends with this year:
- 2 were from the Niagara region, both strongly disliked Toronto, and got local placements within the Niagara Falls and St. Catharines area, one at a small firm, and the other at a medium sized firm.
- 1 was from Oakville, he got a placement this summer at a family connection's firm in Oakville, no interest in big 4 whatsoever.
- 4 from Missisauga and Brampton, 2 are interested in big 4 but both did not get summer placements (still have yet to interview for the Winter yet), 1 got a placement in Niagara, and the other withdrew from co-op because he didn't think he had the marks
- 1 from Northern Bruce Peninsula - Got a placement at a LOCAL BDO office and will be working there for Co-op
- 2 from Ottawa - 1 currently looking for placement in Ottawa (not specifically big 4) and the other withdrew from co-op

I don't hang out with a lot of kids who study all day so this is an extremely biased survey, But as you can see there is very little interest in big 4 among this crowd. Some of the other students I have met at our Accounting networking programs seem to frequently brag about applying to small firms that I have never heard of as well.

My point is don't be discouraged by statistics. The student crowd and locality is different at Brock then say a Waterloo or Laurier. Most people who are really serious and die hard big 4 seekers go there, based on statistics. This makes sense. But if you want big 4 at Brock, work hard and you can get it. I am currently in the process right now and am having succeess.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kiddinaround wrote
I found a lot of Brock Accounting students come from much smaller towns then Waterloo or Laurier students (just from asking around and my own observations with friends at Laurier and Waterloo (no real statistics, a generalization). Some of them seem to really dislike working in Toronto because they think its unsafe, expensive, or simply don't want to deal with traffic. Seeing this, many of the big 4 applicants apply for big 4 offices outside the city, which have less positions available, hence a lower placement rate.

Although I'm going to Laurier, this is basically me lol. What does the bolded part mean? Can you elaborate on that please? Because that would really interest me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

Although I'm going to Laurier, this is basically me lol. What does the bolded part mean? Can you elaborate on that please? Because that would really interest me.

For example, the people applying to offices like such:
- Deloitte and Touche offices in London and Guelph etc.
- PwC offices in Hamilton, Burlington, St. Catharines etc.
- KPMG in Hamilton, Cambridge, St. Catharines etc.
- Ernst & Young in Hamilton or Guelph etc.

Basically working specifially at Big 4 offices outside of Toronto. At Brock, we apply for co-op based on regions. So people will exclude Toronto from their list of regions they would like to work in, hence limiting SOME big 4 opportunities
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@kiddinaround wrote

@Username81 wrote

Basically working specifially at Big 4 offices outside of Toronto. At Brock, we apply for co-op based on regions. So people will exclude Toronto from their list of regions they would like to work in, hence limiting SOME big 4 opportunities

Although at times it can work in your favour since there is less competition at the Big 4 offices in smaller cities.

-

And you mentioned someone from Northern Bruce Peninsula getting into a local BDO office - that has to be Owen Sound, right?Wwhich isn't really Northern Bruce :P Cuz I am 98% sure there's nothing north of that (1.9% says Wiarton).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

And you mentioned someone from Northern Bruce Peninsula getting into a local BDO office - that has to be Owen Sound, right?Wwhich isn't really Northern Bruce :P Cuz I am 98% sure there's nothing north of that (1.9% says Wiarton).

Yeah Owen Sound. You are correct, I just consider Bruce Peninsula really far north haha. Wiarton and Tobermory are farther north but I doubt there are many accounting firms up there, especially the size of bdo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

Yeah Owen Sound. You are correct, I just consider Bruce Peninsula really far north haha. Wiarton and Tobermory are farther north but I doubt there are many accounting firms up there, especially the size of bdo.

First time hearing about these places, where are the they? Nvm just I'll just google map it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

I am 99% sure there is nothing in Tobermory. I am thinking there is one small firm in Lion's Head, and then a couple in Wiarton. Definitely nothing the size of BDO. I know almost every inch of the Bruce Peninsula (massive hyperbole) so the North threw me off for a second. I highly, highly doubt Mar or Shallow Lake would have anything either.

@ goldmansachs - you need to get out more :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Theres a ferry in Tobermory! And Wiarton has a TD bank, a beer store, and a grocery store! haha no firms though (that I know of).

I should know more about the area seeing as I have a cottage in Sauble
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@kiddinaround wrote
Theres a ferry in Tobermory! And Wiarton has a TD bank, a beer store, and a grocery store! haha no firms though (that I know of).

I should know more about the area seeing as I have a cottage in Sauble

That kind of surprises me - that's a long way for businesses in Tobermory to go to get accounting services. There must be a bookkeeper working out of their house somewhere along the Bruce.

And yes, Tobermory has the Chi-Cheemaun ferry to Manitoulin, plus Thorncrest Outfitters, Diver's Den, G&S, The Sweet Shoppe, Foodland, and some tiny stores and restaurants. Wiarton has a Home Hardware and a Tim Horton's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JKid JKid

@kiddinaround wrote

@Username81 wrote

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, what was the average requirements for the Big 4 that recruit at Brock?
Also, was it hard to maintain your high school average going to Brock?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream
My 4th yr BAcc friend works for one of the big 4 firms. He maintains a good mid 90's avg at brock...
I heard from a couple of BBA students that Brock's first year is not too hard but gets very challenging in senior years.. i dont know if this is true though :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@JKid wrote

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, what was the average requirements for the Big 4 that recruit at Brock?

Mid 80s or so major average with something interesting on your resume (Volunteer experience, sports, or some sort of interesting job) would be my best guess. I'm pretty sure Ernst & Young told us they don't even look at people under 85%, but don't quote me on that. If you know people and have networked a bit, you might be able to land an interview with slightly less qualifications, but I doubt they'd take anyone under 80%.

Not really. I did very very little in high school, went into the program with an 84 average. I currently have an 83 at Brock. I went out a lot (like 4 nights a week) but I worked hard when I had assignments due, tests coming up, and studied my butt off for exams. It is very managable to maintain your high school average.

If you have more questions feel free to pm me
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JKid JKid

@kiddinaround wrote

@JKid wrote

Mid 80s or so major average with something interesting on your resume (Volunteer experience, sports, or some sort of interesting job) would be my best guess. I'm pretty sure Ernst & Young told us they don't even look at people under 85%, but don't quote me on that. If you know people and have networked a bit, you might be able to land an interview with slightly less qualifications, but I doubt they'd take anyone under 80%.

Not really. I did very very little in high school, went into the program with an 84 average. I currently have an 83 at Brock. I went out a lot (like 4 nights a week) but I worked hard when I had assignments due, tests coming up, and studied my butt off for exams. It is very managable to maintain your high school average.

If you have more questions feel free to pm me

Thanks for answering my questions, appreciate it :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0