yconic - Brock BBA vs. Guelph Commerce
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Brock BBA vs. Guelph Commerce

A photo of caledunham caledunham
So I've been accepted to Brock BBA Honours Business Administration and Guelph Bachelor of Commerce (Management Economics & Finance) and I was wondering if anyone has any information on either schools and the programs I mentioned. I am having trouble deciding which one to accept since they are both very similar in the admission requirements.

Anybody know anything about which has the better campus/residences, more prestigious program (even though both aren't ranked near the top for business), and which one can offer a better chance at a finance/investing job?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I don't think either offer any (good) finance/investing jobs- sorry to be a bit of a party pooper here. I would recommend you just PM g93, he applied to Guelph and seems to have done his research.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
I don't know a ton about the Brock BBA program.

I have not visited the Brock campus, but supposedly it's really nice. I do know someone that went to Brock (BAcc) and they said that they loved it and that St. Catharines is a real nice city, and the Niagara area is nice and gets pretty good weather.

Guelph has a very nice campus. Overall the campus is pretty green- lots of trees and open space. Probably what it is most knwon for is THE FOOD. Everyone knows Guelph has the best food. Definitely a plus. The campus has a real homey feel, it's fairly down to earth, lots of agri students, there's some farmers attending wearing cowboy boots or workboots and a plaid shirt and make most of the city kids giggle.

Academic-wise, the Brock BBA program is decent, but nothing spectacular. It's probably a more well-known program than Guelph, that could be due to the fact that Brock receives lots of attention for their BAcc program (many people put it as their back-up too). However, Brock and Finance aren't exactly synonymous (nor is Guelph for that matter).

Guelph I can tell you about. It's a decent program actually. It has a pretty good co-op program. The jobs are actually pretty good all things considered. The wages aren't half-bad either. I would suggest checking out this link. The co-op jobs in finance aren't going to be the same as at Quee's or Ivey, or Laurier or Schulich or even McMaster. The jobs are more like "finance administration" and "junior financial analyst", and you're going to be doing some pretty basic stuff.

I hope that helps somewhat. I can't answer much more about Brock, but if you have any more questions about Guelph, feel free to PM me or w/e.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
Maybe I'll see you at Guelph ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cDef cDef

@johnnycanuck wrote
I don't think either offer any (good) finance/investing jobs- sorry to be a bit of a party pooper here.

How did you come to that conclusion?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cDef wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote
I don't think either offer any (good) finance/investing jobs- sorry to be a bit of a party pooper here.

I think he partially meant that neither is well-known for finance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote

@cDef wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

I think cDef was being sacastic. And I think johnnycanuck was using an euphemism.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@cDef wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

I think cDef was being sacastic. And I think johnnycanuck was using an euphemism.

lol oh, well sarcasm can be difficult to detect online :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mikey12y mikey12y
g93 says good things (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DecaPresident DecaPresident
In terms of the program. How good is it compared to other business programs such as McMaster Bcom, Laurier BA Economics, Ryerson Bcom? I'm trying to convince my friend not to go to Brock because of the horrible reputation it has but I need some facts to prove it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@DecaPresident wrote
In terms of the program. How good is it compared to other business programs such as McMaster Bcom, Laurier BA Economics, Ryerson Bcom? I'm trying to convince my friend not to go to Brock because of the horrible reputation it has but I need some facts to prove it.

Not near as good as Mac or Laurier Honours Ec

I would put it behind Ryerson as well, but the gap isn't as big.

What other programs is your friend considering? The ones you listed?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DecaPresident DecaPresident
Yes, he has been accepted into the following: Ryerson Bcom, Geulph Bcom, Mac Bcom, Brock BBA.

He is leaning towards Brock BBA because he believes he has the highest chance of coop at that school. He isn't the brightest person, so he doesn't think he will be able to obtain an internship at McMaster if he chooses to go there. Supposedly Brock has "garunteed" coop or a very high chance of getting a position compared to the other programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@DecaPresident wrote
Yes, he has been accepted into the following: Ryerson Bcom, Geulph Bcom, Mac Bcom, Brock BBA.

He is leaning towards Brock BBA because he believes he has the highest chance of coop at that school. He isn't the brightest person, so he doesn't think he will be able to obtain an internship at McMaster if he chooses to go there. Supposedly Brock has "garunteed" coop or a very high chance of getting a position compared to the other programs.

You are guaranteed to be in the co-op program, but you still have to find a placement. And if you don't get a placement, you are kicked out of the co-op pogram. I have been told (and this is by some Brock students as well) that although Brock claims the co-op placement is extremely high, this is because the later years will have almost everyone getting co-op but very few actually in co-op so it's not really indicative. The actual co-op rate for BAcc isn't very spectacular, and from what I have heard BBA is worse. Hard to say what jobs you will get as well. I'm sure there will be a few good ones, but not too many.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
Well, if you're comparing Guelph Business vs Brock Business, Brock wins everytime. I only found out this year that guelph had a business program.

Brock BBA you have a co-op option. Yes the placement is lower than they say because of the recession, but I am pretty sure the BBA co-op placement is as high if not higher than any other school that offers co-op. The co-op office will be very helpful in preparing you to find a placement.

Course wise you should find the first year at Brock rather interesting. They force you to take a Business Modeling course (ITIS 1P97 or some equivalent) which I found very interesting, and is definetely relevant toward any business career. Other than management, courses are taught very well and class sizes are relatively small.

Brock offers some good finance and economic courses throughout. They also have a Finance and Investment club (BFIG) which I am a member of. I found it very interesting and the upper year students in the club were some of the most knowledgable people I have ever met. There is faculty interaction within the club as well as Bloomberg terminal access which they just put in this year.

For finance and investing, Brock wins. Co-op option, small class sizes, and an interesting city to go with it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0