yconic - Brock: Health Sciences vs. BioMed Science
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Brock: Health Sciences vs. BioMed Science

A photo of SolipsismGT SolipsismGT
Hello. I have been accepted to Brock. Which of these programs is more health-oriented, and which one sets you up better for Medical School?

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Health Sciences focuses more on preparing you for studies to become a medical professional in the Health field where as BioMed is more to prepare you for graduate studies in medical research, however both crossover a lot. That's not saying someone in Health Sci can't go into research, or vice versa. I find Health Sciences at Brock to be more flexible in comparison to Biomedical Sciences.

In both programs you have access to courses such as Clinical Epidemiology, Pathology, and Pharmacology, which are restricted courses only available for these 2 majors.

So yeah essentially Bio-Med is more research prep where as Health Sci is more professional school prep for like Med School, Physiotherapy, etc.

In terms of preparing you for Med School, both do a good job really. You have access to courses other than your generic Organic Chem, Molecular Bio, etc.

You also have courses such as The Sociology of Health and Community Health Studies, classes like these are good for preparing a student to learn about the broader aspects of medicine rather than the hardcore science classes you'll be required to take.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you very much for the reply. Since Health Sciences prepares you better, I might go with that option.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No problem, congratulations on the acceptances btw!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks a lot! Good luck to you too on your programs! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of code07 code07
But why is the cut-off for Brock Health Sciences is much lower than that of McMaster for example? Last time I checked they said they want an average in the high 70s, or am I wrong?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@code07 wrote
But why is the cut-off for Brock Health Sciences is much lower than that of McMaster for example? Last time I checked they said they want an average in the high 70s, or am I wrong?

McMaster is one of the best universities in the world for health science and medicine, so their cutoff is much higher.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Brock's cutoff is mid-80's. McMaster's cutoff is 90% for Health Sciences and mid-high 80's for Life Sciences.

The reason for Mac's high cutoff for Health Sci is the sheer number of applicants they receive. Since so many people are applying, a higher cutoff is needed to ensure top individuals are selected. That's why they have the Supplementary Application, also.

However, most people forget it doesn't matter where you do your undergrad *wink wink*
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of code07 code07
So let's say we have two people applying for med school: one did his undergrad degree in health sciences in a desired university (mind you, it's the program that's desired) like McMaster and the other did the same undergrad degree at a university like Brock, with the only real difference (I assume...) is the entrance average req. for Mac being higher than that of Brock. And let's also say both applicants have the same GPA and same everything, will the one from McMaster have any sort of preference(s) or advantage(s)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A lot also depends on their volunteering services and how much they have done. If anything, that would prove to be the turning point in either favour. Med Schools don't care which University you did your undergrad at, or even which undergrad you did (you could do music and get into Med School, for all they care).

As long as you have sufficient volunteering work, excellent MCAT scores and an excellent GPA, they won't care if you went to Mac or Brock.

EDIT: To answer your question about University preference: No. Before they accept you, they interview you. You could have gone to Mac and gotten a 100% average but you could be a total jackass, or vice versa. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@code07 wrote
So let's say we have two people applying for med school: one did his undergrad degree in health sciences in a desired university (mind you, it's the program that's desired) like McMaster and the other did the same undergrad degree at a university like Brock, with the only real difference (I assume...) is the entrance average req. for Mac being higher than that of Brock. And let's also say both applicants have the same GPA and same everything, will the one from McMaster have any sort of preference(s) or advantage(s)?

You really think the school you go to will be a preferential deciding factor for the admissions board @ Medical School?

You need a high GPA, you need excellent extra curricular activities, some experience in the medical field (volunteer at a hospital, CPR instructor, etc), and the rest is up to you. If they notice that your application is stellar then you'll be invited to the interview stage and from there it doesn't matter whether or not you went to Brock or Mac.

Both applicants might get invited to the interview, and from there it'll be determined who will be offered admission.

People seriously have to stop thinking that someone from say from U of T will be given preference over someone from York. (I used those schools simply as examples)

Was this helpful? Yes 0