yconic - Brock or Trent???
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Brock or Trent???

A photo of chiqua99 chiqua99
Hi everyone,

So I'm having difficulty deciding which of the two university programs to apply to.In your opinion, which concurrent education program is better (in terms of quality of education, reputation and university experience): Brock for Integrated Studies or Trent-Queens Concurrent ed?? What are your views on the programs? I hope to become an elementary school teacher (I haven't chosen my teachable subjects yet :s)

What are some other good con ed programs to apply to?

Also what are the admission averages this year?

Thanks so much and happy holidays! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
All I can say is that most of my teachers went to Brock lol!

Sorry I couldn't be any more help:cheers:

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
Biased Trent student, but I honestly do think it offers the better program. You get to experience 2 schools. Queen's has a very respected Faculty of Education (Brock does too though). Trent is very teacher-oriented (I'd say about 1/3 of students want to be teachers) so there's lots of related involvement opportunities. Queen's-Trent also offers placements starting in year 1 which is something that Brock does not do. I'd say Brock and Trent have comparable undergrad programs, and Brock and Queen's have comparable education programs.

Admission averages for Queen's-Trent are usually in the mid-high 80s (with some getting in with lower marks than that and exceptional ECs).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi thanks for your response Ba Ba Blue :) It really helped.
I'm really considering applying to Queen's-Trent; it really appeals to me. My issue is that my parents do not think highly of Trent university (no offense to anyone who goes there- I think it's a great school!). In Canada, is Queen's-Trent program a well known program? And what is its reputation?

Also is becoming a teacher in Canada even a worthwhile career nowadays, since there is a surplus of teachers and thus siginificantly lowering the demand for them? What teaching jobs are in demand? Gahh i ask too many questions! :s
Was this helpful? Yes 0

To be frank, the only thing "reputation" would do in the teaching field is give your parents bragging rights that you got into a harder program. In reality, it's more of who you know than where you go. I chose Trent in large part due to the larger scholarships since the school doesn't really matter (asked pretty much every teacher I ever had that question - they just said go to a school that gets you a lot of placements).

As for what it's reputation is, it's definitely up there. Most people apply to Queen's (which is seen as pretty much the hardest to get into). Queen's-Trent is the exact same program as Queen's in almost every way (difference is the BA or BSc you end up getting). In fact, the Queen's Con.Ed program is based on the Queen's-Trent program, not the other way around like your intuition might make you think (the Queen's-Trent one is older). From what I know talking to people, it seems to be agreed upon that it's a second place finisher.

Finally, we come to the jobs market. Again, I'll be honest with you. Getting a job in Canada (more specifically Ontario) is a real challenge, but do remember that there are still jobs available! What you need to do is differentiate yourself from the other people who are applying. Do as many professional development opportunities as you can fit into your life. Teach a language, especially French. Take AQ courses after you graduate with your B.Ed (like Special Education, Part 1 for example - it's the most common). If you put a lot of effort and passion into your time in school, it'll be much easier to find a job after you graduate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you very much for this info; it's really helpful. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to apply to Queen's-Trent. I don't think I can convince my parents to change their minds about Trent :(

Anyways, I know that Queen's has a concurrent ed program. What is its admission average around? I'm hoping to get around 88-90 depending on what happens by Feb. Also how much harder is it to get into Queen's than Trent-Queen's? Sorry I keep asking so many questions...I'm only applying to one con ed program and I need to make the right choice!!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

For Queen's, your marks may be OK if your PSE and essay are superb but they also might be too low. I'd aim for a low 90's average if your goal is to get into Queen's Con.Ed. Getting into Queen's-Trent is much easier because it's less competitive, in part due to people such as yourself who don't want to attend Trent (well I know you do, but it appears as though your parents' opinions are winning here). As I've said several times before and keep saying, they are the same program.

My parents had a hard time accepting Trent as well. I explained that it's the more financially viable option and that the Queen's-Trent program was a great program at a less reputable school. If you look into things, you'll see that all schools have a program for which they are good to attend - con.ed is just Trent's. I didn't want my parents to control my adult life, so I fought hard to attend Trent.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think I'll try Trent U...Queen's university is not really for me xD I have a question about your scholarship program. I know it says that if a student has an admission average of 90%+ he or she are eligible for free tuition. My question is suppose the marks entered in February are almost 90% but by the end of the year, the marks are 90%+. Could I still be awarded the scholarship? Thanks! (That might be my only way to get into Trent U!)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Trent doesn't decide if you get the scholarship until they have all your marks (July or August...can't remember - don't think summer school is considered). It also might be good to know that they only use the same top 6 that are included in your overall entry average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0