yconic - Business Analyst
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Business Analyst

A photo of snowbunny snowbunny
Does anyone know what I would study if I want to be a business analyst and what kind of program would I study in university. What universities do you suggest to go to for this?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of AgriGen AgriGen
Business analyst is a very general title... and they can do very different things. Anyways, they usually look for a degree in bcomm, econ, finance, maths or something quant heavy. Best bet is probably a business degree from uwo ivey, queens, uoft, york schulich...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
What do you want to "analyze"?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

okay to be more exact I want to work for the business (user) group/dept documenting their requirements for new IT software and then communicating with the IT dept for them to develop the new software then I would test it to make sure it is what the business wanted then if so give it to the buisness dept to use, I would be the laison between the business and IT, so I should have a computer and a business background
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'd recommend either BBA/BCS or the Business Technology Management program at Ryerson. I will say however, this seems like a more CS oriented position then Business, and I'm not too sure about the amount of positions available for it.

A career path with some similarities that I would recommend is IT consulting. Working for a consulting firm like Accenture (or another that specializes in IT consulting), and then consulting with external businesses and then developing IT solutions for them. Similar to what you want, but a lot more career options.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rdawg204 rdawg204
You want that mysterious program that teaches you how to translate a business requirements document into secret programmer analyst language

:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Nick0rz wrote
I'd recommend either BBA/BCS or the Business Technology Management program at Ryerson. I will say however, this seems like a more CS oriented position then Business, and I'm not too sure about the amount of positions available for it.

A career path with some similarities that I would recommend is IT consulting. Working for a consulting firm like Accenture (or another that specializes in IT consulting), and then consulting with external businesses and then developing IT solutions for them. Similar to what you want, but a lot more career options.

What is your program is it bus adm + cs together or a DD? I might be interested in this program.
What do you plan to do when you graduate?
What is the cut-off mark for this program?
Are you living in res?
Are you in co-op and how does it work is it like UW with alternating work terms and lasting for 5 yr to graduate?
Is it a higher cut-off for the co-op version of this prg?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@snowbunny wrote

@Nick0rz wrote

What is your program is it bus adm + cs together or a DD? I might be interested in this program.
What do you plan to do when you graduate?
What is the cut-off mark for this program?
Are you living in res?
Are you in co-op and how does it work is it like UW with alternating work terms and lasting for 5 yr to graduate?
Is it a higher cut-off for the co-op version of this prg?

Im in the double degree program, so I get two degrees at the end.
Either consulting of some kind, or potentially finance
High 80's. Think 88, 89, although the program is still in its infancy, so it could change depending on the amount of applicants.
Lived in rez first year, off campus currently.
Here are the potential co-op sequences: http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/bbabcs/prospective_students/coop.html . If you are out of Laurier then the first work term would actually be an Off time.
There is no non co-op version.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

How many hrs/wk do you have to put in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@snowbunny wrote
How many hrs/wk do you have to put in?

Lots. DD is the most challenging program at Laurier, and one of the most challenging programs at UW. The workload is quite similar to that of engineering science.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dd14fin dd14fin

@snowbunny wrote
okay to be more exact I want to work for the business (user) group/dept documenting their requirements for new IT software and then communicating with the IT dept for them to develop the new software then I would test it to make sure it is what the business wanted then if so give it to the buisness dept to use, I would be the laison between the business and IT, so I should have a computer and a business background

There are a ton of co-op positions of the type you described, mainly at large companies like banks (TD, scotia, cibc, rbc ...) and insurance companies (manulife, sunlife). Suggested programs: business programs, math programs, any computer science related program, IT programs. Even arts programs can get you there, just make sure you take the right courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0