yconic - Business and Pre-med
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Business and Pre-med

A photo of IronMan IronMan
I know this may seem weird, but I am interested in going with my further studies at a medical school and I also like Business as far as it is a good back up plan if not admitted in Medical school. Therefore, I would love to have some insight about being a Business pre-med ! I saw on many medical schools class profiles that they have admitted people from Accounting and Business administration but I really would love to know how could that be realizable ? oh and if anyone did it before it would also be considered to tell me what school you went to and why ? Also, is there any Health management program in any Top Canadian Business school ? I would love to know. Thanks in advance !

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of ilikeyork ilikeyork
You can apply to Western, Ivey HBA 2+2 doing Medical Sciences for the first 2 years
(Someone in my school did this because she couldn't decide)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
I went through this exact same thought process last year.

Firstly, there aren't many (if any) stand alone business undergraduate programs that will give you enough prerequisite courses to be eligible to apply to medical school. Some medical schools have no prerequisites, but as a business undergrad you'd be studying vastly different things. Theoretically, you could learn all of the stuff that are on the MCATs on your own time (the only thing that isn't taught at least briefly in high school is orgo). Being in a business undergraduate puts you at a certain disadvantage because you don't explicitly learn what pre-med programs would teach.

Your second option is to enter a science undergraduate and then enter business afterwards through means of an MBA or perhaps a minor in business. You won't be immediately eligible to do certain business certifications and your business technical skills could potentially be lacking. Also, you would most likely miss out on getting business experience during your summer years because you'd be in a science degree.

@ilikeyork wrote
You can apply to Western, Ivey HBA 2+2 doing Medical Sciences for the first 2 years

Lots of people do this. There are quite a number of bio-med students with AEO and have medicine as their first choice and business as a "back up". This logic doesn't resonate well with me because it supports the notion that the workload and difficulty of Ivey is easier than bio-med. If you have an 80+ in bio med, you're still eligible for medical school and can still pursue your fantasy of becoming a doctor. If you have below an 80, you won't be able to switch into Ivey. Also realize that there are going to be people in business that don't treat it as a back up and be much more prepared, keen, etc.

Also, I think most health management programs are all post-graduate. I know that Ivey MBA has a "health sector" field that seems to fit what you're looking for. I can't speak for other MBA programs, but I assume that many MBA programs offer something in the health field.

http://www.ivey.uwo.ca/mba/about/electives.htm

The only other health management program I know is offered at U of T.

http://www.gradschool.utoronto.ca/programs/Graduate_Units/Health_Policy__Management___Evaluation.htm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@onlymatthew wrote
I went through this exact same thought process last year.

Firstly, there aren't many (if any) stand alone business undergraduate programs that will give you enough prerequisite courses to be eligible to apply to medical school. Some medical schools have no prerequisites, but as a business undergrad you'd be studying vastly different things. Theoretically, you could learn all of the stuff that are on the MCATs on your own time (the only thing that isn't taught at least briefly in high school is orgo). Being in a business undergraduate puts you at a certain disadvantage because you don't explicitly learn what pre-med programs would teach.

Your second option is to enter a science undergraduate and then enter business afterwards through means of an MBA or perhaps a minor in business. You won't be immediately eligible to do certain business certifications and your business technical skills could potentially be lacking. Also, you would most likely miss out on getting business experience during your summer years because you'd be in a science degree.

Lots of people do this. There are quite a number of bio-med students with AEO and have medicine as their first choice and business as a "back up". This logic doesn't resonate well with me because it supports the notion that the workload and difficulty of Ivey is easier than bio-med. If you have an 80+ in bio med, you're still eligible for medical school and can still pursue your fantasy of becoming a doctor. If you have below an 80, you won't be able to switch into Ivey. Also realize that there are going to be people in business that don't treat it as a back up and be much more prepared, keen, etc.

Also, I think most health management programs are all post-graduate. I know that Ivey MBA has a "health sector" field that seems to fit what you're looking for. I can't speak for other MBA programs, but I assume that many MBA programs offer something in the health field.

http://www.ivey.uwo.ca/mba/about/electives.htm

The only other health management program I know is offered at U of T.

http://www.gradschool.utoronto.ca/programs/Graduate_Units/Health_Policy__Management___Evaluation.htm

I am really thankful for your response but if it is not possible to have all the pre-requisites done by the end of a business degree, how come people studied accounting and business administration be admitted to medical schools like McGill and McMaster, I am just wondering. I really like business especially finance, the thing is it doesn't have any relation to do with Medicine but I can't think of myself doing something as a career that is not medicine, I am so confused, I don't like to be a biology major because it doesn't have enough math for me and it doesn't involve thinking but only learning. I was thinking about health care management because it is related to medicine at least a little and I am also interested in that amazing MBA/MD program offered at McGill and other top US Medical school, so in my case I need a BIG Business school name known in the US and also that offers a program that relates to medicine or at least allow me take the pre-reqs during my college years !
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Again, there are medical schools that have course requirements and some that do not. I guess that McGill and McMaster don't have any requirements, but as a prospective medical school student, it's very nice to have as many options as possible. Just off the top of my head, I know that U of T has a couple of basic science course requirements.

If you really are that keen on continuing your education in both science and business, you should seriously consider a double major or at least a minor. Also ask yourself, why are you so set on working in the medical field?

Also, I enjoy your outlook on how biology is all "learning" and no "thinking" :cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I mentioned McGill and McMaster because they do have course requirements basically that all medical schools have and I ve never heard of a medical school that doesn't have basic science requirements, i think most of them require Bio, Chem, Physics, maths and english so I would be really surprised if there is a medical school out there that does not ! Do you know any ? because that would be really great safety schools ! lol

Is it possible to double major in Business and Health studies ? If so, what school you think is both good at these fields ?

What I am presuming about biology is from my high school experience ! All we do is learn things but there is no problem solving or thinking involved ! Quite few but not that much ! What I like about medicine is that it makes use your mind when it comes to patient cases, basically you have to think about the best treatment to something and solve the cases of course based on your biology knowledge so I would say Medicine is the technical application of biology and that is great ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I thought that McGill and McMaster didn't have any undergraduate course requirements? Or are you talking about high school courses? Also, I don't think ANY Ontario medical school counts as a "safety school", ha ha ha.

It is indeed possible to double major in health and business. The health science program at UWO seems to fit your criteria of "applying medicine" and can be studied concurrently with Western Ivey business. Health sci at UWO seems to be a lot more procedural and more about the administration than your typical science program, though. I would still recommend bio-med/Ivey to this; I'm not particularly fond of UWO health sci.

Another health science program which is vastly superior to the one at UWO in almost every way is the one offered at McMaster. I believe there's a public health specialization you can take in that program, and you can even minor in business or accounting if you would like to. I have heard that it's difficult to get all the courses required to fulfil a minor a McMaster because the course selection isn't necessarily geared towards people double majoring. At Mac Health Sci, you WILL have to still study basic biology and chemistry and the like, which I'm still not sure if you were trying to avoid or not.

However, if you're only now starting to apply to Mac Health Sci, you may be too far behind in the rat race.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
McGill has prerequisites (bio chem, physics, orgo).
McMaster doesn't have any prerequisites.
Western doesn't have any either.
There are a few more I think but that's it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0