yconic - Business career with a stutter
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Business career with a stutter

A photo of butters butters
So I'm currently a high school junior, and I'll be a senior after the summer is over. University is just down the road, and I've been really thinking about my future recently. I applied to many b-schools in canada and i will hopefully pursue a job related to business.

However, I am afraid of my speech impediment affecting my performance. Don't get me wrong, I consider myself a mild stutterer. I'm one of those stutterers that can fluently give a presentation if I am well rehearsed.

But after thinking about it real hard, I realized that I can't depend on rehearsing forever; especially in the field of business where interacting with clients face to face becomes a routine. I know the field of business is very competitive and clients will obviously look for the best people to work with. What I'm really worried about is that they will judge me based on my communication ability before they even get to my work ability.

Do you guys think its worth it to follow the path of business even with my speech impediment?

Any advice for a high school stutterer who's attending uni in the coming future?

Thank you guys so much for reading over my rant and answering my questions. I really really appreciate this .
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of JSH10 JSH10
"I've always aspired to major in finance because jobs like investment banking have very high paying salaries."

your problem right there buddy
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
I agree with him.
You shouldn't want to go into a profession thinking that you'll come out making 60k a year.
It shouldn't be based on how much you make. You should be doing it because you love it and have a passion for it.
But with that aside,
I don't think it'd be a huge problem if your stuttering is still manageable.
I know people with stutters who still pursued careers that they loved regardless of the fact that they would have to deal with customers/people everyday even with a stutter.
As long as you have confidence and believe you can do it, you can.
:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Imikulate Imikulate

@JSH10 wrote
"I've always aspired to major in finance because jobs like investment banking have very high paying salaries."

your problem right there buddy

Well, if you are going to go into a career because you love money then finance and ibanking would be the one.

Anyway, I'm sure if you do your best and do an amazing job and get good results they won't care about your stutter. Only the money, always the money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
If you are passionate and truly love and excel at what you are doing, nothing will stop you. People might even appreciate that you have not allowed your speech impediment to impede your dreams as well (haha).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
I was at a conference a month ago where one of the keynotes suffered from Tourettes, and he would have to pause frequently, or just made random sounds. But he was the most compelling speaker of the conference, and had great ideas. He was wildly successful even with his impediment.

Dont let it stop you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jevette Jevette
I won't sugar-coat this response.
Having a speech impediment will affect the way customers perceive you.

Alot of judgement/client's acceptance of you is based off of first impressions, and having a stuttering issue may just come off as lacking in confidence.

Try your best to work with it, it is possible, but I will not lie when I say you have alot more to work for to make up for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rourachnitchai Rourachnitchai
Imperfect speaking can often endear a speaker to his audience. Press it to your advantage. Allow the competition to think you are incompetent and then smite them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of asian123 asian123
^ he's right, just try to stay as happy and positive at all times.

i know that this is easier said than done, and no one hear understands ur problem, but please listen to my tips.

just try practicing speaking to random ppl on an occasional basis (e.g. librarian, worker from a store etc..)

also u have a mild stutter, this can be redueced with therapy. There are rapid improvements in research and science that are constantly being made so HOPEFULLY in the future, they will find something that can decrease it.

similar to winston churchill, who had a stutter, he just rehearsed and thogut very clearly about his speeches and what he was going to say beforehand, he also prepared many possible repsonses from the ppl he was going to speak to.

i checked online and found many succesful business leaders that had stutters:

http://www.stutteringhelp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=37

My dad has a friend that had a mild stutter, and he said that it doesnt affect him as much now as an adult as it did before. He said the worst times for him was during his childhood, but u passed that now. He was also really positive and thanked god that he didnt have a serious stutter that would prevent him from doing anything.

last thing, watch good comedy shows e.g The inbetweeneers, Its always sunny in philadelphia. this will keep u happy, and also exercise regularly as i heard it increases something in ur brain which keeps u positive and happy.

good luck on ur future
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bibin25 bibin25
so i am in high school and was wondering which the best university in canada for business? thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of butters butters
thank u everyone for the helpful responses, ill apply all of them and work hard on it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0