yconic - Business Degrees Questions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Business Degrees Questions

A photo of gottawin gottawin
Hello, I'm in Grade 11. I was just wondering what the difference is between these degrees:

BBA/MBA
Degree in Accountancy
Commerce Degree
Economics Degree

I don't know any other business degree tbh but I hear MBA usually translates to a good job and big bucks. I like doing accounting but I haven't really taken any other businesses yet. So my question is, once you take BBA and then get MBA after 2 years, can you get a job as a CA? or do you need BBA and then some specialized course in accountancy?? Also, what degrees do I need to become a CA or a CFA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK
All right... I will try to post a very long answer to answer your questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
BBA is bachelor's of business administration. It's an undergrad level degree (what you enroll in right after high school, usually 4/5 years)
MBA is master's of business administration. It's a graduate level (meaning you do it after you already have a bachelor's degree) degree. You don't need a BBA to do an MBA. Lots of people get their MBA with an engineering degree or law degree among others.
An accounting degree is pretty uncommon except at Waterloo where they have BAFM and Brock, where they have BAcc. You don't need an accounting degree to be an accountant, you can have a BBA or BComm and major in accounting. There's a few difference but I'm not particularly knowledgeable about this so maybe someone else can help you :)
Commerce degree is the same thing as BBA pretty much, just a different name.
Economics degrees are art degrees with majors in economics. There's another thread in the business section that talks about economics degrees vs business degrees, you should go search it up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Oops I didn't answer the other half of your questions, lolz
Anyways an MBA can mean big bucks and whatnot but it's only really useful if you go to a top-10 b-school for it. No one ever gets an MBA right out of undergrad (except at some accelerated programs like Skoll). Most MBA programs won't even consider you if you don't have at least 2-3 years of job experience.
You can get a job as a CA with just an undergrad degree.
To get the CA, you need to graduate from an undergrad business program and major in accounting (you might not HAVE to, but why wouldn't you?). Again, I'm not very knowledgeable about this but I know there's lots of exams you need to pass and hours to fulfill. Lots of people on this site know lots about it so hopefully they will answer.
For the CFA you don't even need a business degree, it's just a set of exams that you need to pass. Of course, being in a business program has some overlap with what you need to know for the CFA, but isn't a requirement.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@gottawin wrote
Hello, I'm in Grade 11. I was just wondering what the difference is between these degrees:

BBA/MBA
Degree in Accountancy
Commerce Degree
Economics Degree

I don't know any other business degree tbh but I hear MBA usually translates to a good job and big bucks. I like doing accounting but I haven't really taken any other businesses yet. So my question is, once you take BBA and then get MBA after 2 years, can you get a job as a CA? or do you need BBA and then some specialized course in accountancy?? Also, what degrees do I need to become a CA or a CFA?

BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration), BCom (Bachelor of Commerce) and BA (Bachelor of Arts in Economics) are undergraduate degrees. MBA (Masters of Business Administration) is a graduate degree which you can only pursue after you get an undergraduate degree in any discipline, with some restrictions on the courses you might need to take, depending on the MBA program you would like to enter.

As far as I know, there is no degree in accounting on the undergraduate level, but some schools offer Masters of Accounting. However, in both BBA and BCom you can take accounting courses and receive a BBA/BCom degree with accounting specialization.

Main difference between BBA and BCom is that BBA is more general and looks an business studies from a broader perspective. BCom is more specialized in each area of the business. If you would like an analogy, BBA is sort of like a manager, looking over a department as a whole and not into every little detailed role within the department. BCom would look at more specific roles within the department. This is not to say that BBAs are always managers and skip more junior positions and that BComs cannot become managers. With both degrees you are able to work in every area of business, but the general scope of your degree would align with the general theme which I described above.

BA in Economics is focused on studying economics and is mainly very useless in Canada, unless you were to pursue masters and PhD in it afterwards. However, Financial Economics could be a good degree if you would want to work in finance.

CA and CFA, on the other hand, are designations and not degrees which you take in university. There is no job called CA nor is there a job cold CFA, so you can't really work as a CA. If you choose, you can earn those designations after your undergraduate program by taking required courses in your undergrad and then writing 3 exams for each of the designations. You don't need to have a specific degree for these designations, as long as you take some required courses.

Accounting which you seem to enjoy is High School is actually called book keeping and if you are enjoying it because it is easy, you should really reconsider the plan which you are probably already making in your head. University accounting is quite different from HS and is focused more on analytical skills rather than your ability to copy numbers from one column into another. Uni accounting gets significantly harder and more interesting and it is definitely a lot different from HS.

Another comment on money. You can make in any field. You don't need an MBA to "make big bucks". If money is all you are looking for, get a job this summer which pays 100% commission (that means no hourly wage). If at the end of the summer you are going to be happy with the lifestyle, you can drop out of school and keep working in sales. In the end, you can make more money than an average MBA. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki

@MINTOK wrote

As far as I know, there is no degree in accounting on the undergraduate level, but some schools offer Masters of Accounting.

I think Brock offers bachelor of accountancy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0