yconic - Business learn
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Business learn

A photo of Keiser561993 Keiser561993

@Keiser561993 wrote
Hello Guys!

I applied in McMaster Commerce Undergraduate program last week
and I just want to ask what courses from grade 12 u/m that will help me to prepare for this program? Can you give me three or four courses other than Math and English that will benefit or give me some background of business.

Are SocSci and Humanities courses are recommended?

I look forward for your reply!

Thanks! =)

Only courses are Economics and Accounting... And I guess Calculus too
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of Kargo93 Kargo93

@Keiser561993 wrote
Hello Guys!

I applied in McMaster Commerce Undergraduate program last week
and I just want to ask what courses from grade 12 u/m that will help me to prepare for this program? Can you give me three or four courses other than Math and English that will benefit or give me some background of business.

Are SocSci and Humanities courses are recommended?

I look forward for your reply!

Thanks! =)

Only courses are Economics and Accounting... And I guess Calculus too
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
Calculus, economics, and accounting are definitely recommended. I'd also take data management.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Blistex Blistex
I Applied too and it's my first choice as well!

and from what I've heard Calclus and Advanced will definately be helpful. Data would be as well
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mianguyen mianguyen
What about marketing? Would that help too?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Trooper Trooper
Data and Advanced Functions.
Accounting. Marketing.

Mac for business? Really?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream
all 3 math, accounting & economics
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93

@Keiser561993 wrote
Tnx guys... I'm taking calculus, economics and accounting next semester =)
Would that the work load be that much on next semester?
What you guys think? Focus to strive an A in Calculus as a top priority?
Eh?

Wouldn't be that hard.
First year accounting courses are often the same as Gr 12 accounting, so if you understand it now you'll be golden for first year. They teach it like you haven't taken it before as it's not a prereq. I'm assuming Mac will be like the others (Laurier, Brock, Waterloo, Western, etc.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 120513 120513
so is mcmaster good for business?
how does it compare to other business programs in other universities
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maddie_271 maddie_271
I have applied for the McMaster business program (undergrad). I haven't gone there so I may be way off but from what I've heard they're the most innovative program, everyone I've talked to LOVED it, their scores on the exit exam are higher than other programs (such as queens), it's a great campus location (like a little community), and the teachers are AWESOME. I've heard that the cut-off is 83-84 for the undergrad. I have above a 92 and it's Feb and I haven't been accepted yet :( They don't start that stuff until later though (so I've heard). Another point is that McMaster has the best co-op program running (for business). They allow students to work for 2 terms straight which is long enough to get to know a business and start to get a real idea about what the work world will REALLY be like. It's nothing like those 4-month stints, McMaster=real-life preparation!

The majority of students major in finance/accounting so it's definitely becoming the school's specialty. You can skip the CA enterance exam if you take a few extra classes too which is great!

I have heard that the program is very math-intensive so you better like numbers :p They DO accept repeated classes as a part of your final average. Take as many business courses as you can! Accounting, economics, international, ecommerce, english, management, law, calc, data, functions. All that they can do is help you and make the transition smoother
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maddie_271 maddie_271

@mianguyen wrote
What about marketing? Would that help too?

yes, I would for sure take marketing. All the business classes in high school can do is help you, no harm possible. You may even be able to re-use a project or two :batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0