yconic - Business undergrad question
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Business undergrad question

A photo of sunny1011 sunny1011
hey i was juut wondering what the best ungergrad would be to get me into an investment banking job or a stockbroker job
also does english have to be one of your top 6 marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
31 replies

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@sunny1011 wrote
hey i was just wondering what the best undergrad would be to get me into an investment banking job or a stockbroker job
also does English have to be one of your top 6 marks?

Yes most universities require English as a prerequisite...but you if you don't like English try one of the other types of English...i.e. writer's craft

Also Business schools are picky when it comes to English marks

P.S. Prerequisites are used for top 6 marks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Viking21 wrote

@sunny1011 wrote
hey i was just wondering what the best undergrad would be to get me into an investment banking job or a stockbroker job
also does English have to be one of your top 6 marks?

Yes most universities require English as a prerequisite...but you if you don't like English try one of the other types of English...i.e. writer's craft

Also Business schools are picky when it comes to English marks

P.S. Prerequisites are used for top 6 marks

okay thanks that kinda sucks for me cause english isnt something im good at i might only be able to get an 80 in it and i wanted to go to richard ivey or schulich
but in calc im getting a 95 right now and got 90 in advanced functions
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@sunny1011 wrote
hey i was juut wondering what the best ungergrad would be to get me into an investment banking job or a stockbroker job

For most business schools English is a prerequisite and it would need to be included in your top 6. Additionally, for some programs your Eng mark would need to be higher than a certain percentage. 85% for Rotman, 80% for Queen's, and 70% for Schulich.

The best business school for iBanking in Canada is considered to be Ivey. Queen's is really good as well. Then Schulich, Rotman, Waterloo, and Laurier at about the same level.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@sunny1011 wrote
okay thanks that kinda sucks for me cause english isnt something im good at i might only be able to get an 80 in it and i wanted to go to richard ivey or schulich
but in calc im getting a 95 right now and got 90 in advanced functions

Yeah, life is hard. Congratulations on becoming an adult. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@MINTOK wrote

@sunny1011 wrote

For most business schools English is a prerequisite and it would need to be included in your top 6. Additionally, for some programs your Eng mark would need to be higher than a certain percentage. 85% for Rotman, 80% for Queen's, and 70% for Schulich.

The best business school for iBanking in Canada is considered to be Ivey. Queen's is really good as well. Then Schulich, Rotman, Waterloo, and Laurier at about the same level.

Waterloo only for DD and Engineering. If you are applying AFM, that's not quite the case. It would be lower than Schulich/Rotman/Laurier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@g93 wrote

@MINTOK wrote

@sunny1011 wrote

Waterloo only for DD and Engineering. If you are applying AFM, that's not quite the case. It would be lower than Schulich/Rotman/Laurier.

I know of a few AFM-FM students who landed Ibanking coops. The fact that there are a few can definitely make it equivalent to Rotman/Laurier/Schulich :P

But yeah, the whole finance initiative for AFM is still very new.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ceeps ceeps
In Canada, if you want to do Investment Banking its:
1. Ivey
2. Queens
There are really no other choices. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what their talking about. If you get into these schools and you want investment banking, go there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Go to Ivey.

They put more people on Wall Street with the big U.S. banks (i.e. Goldmansachs and a crapload of others) than any other school.

They beat Queen's by a fair bit too. Ivey wins hands down for investment banking.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
1. Ivey
2. Queen's
3. Sauder PMF/McGill IM
Was this helpful? Yes 0

To the OP, do you even know what you do as an investment banker or a stock broker? The jobs aren't even that similar so that leads me to think you have no idea what both the jobs are about.

However, Ivey and Queens would be attractive programs to you based on what you apparently want. And yes of course English has to be in your top 6.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
To the OP, do you even know what you do as an investment banker or a stock broker? The jobs aren't even that similar so that leads me to think you have no idea what both the jobs are about.

However, Ivey and Queens would be attractive programs to you based on what you apparently want. And yes of course English has to be in your top 6.

yea i know of the differences of ibanking and stock broker work
ibanking is my top priority and i always saw being a stock broker as my back up plan
okay seems like ill try my best to get into ivey then
do you think high 80s with fairly good ec's could get me in?
whats the cut offfor ivey this year?
and thanks everyone

btw whats the minimum avg needed AFM-FM? ive never heard of that program before
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Why do you want to be an investment banker?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@sunny1011 wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

ibanking is my top priority and i always saw being a stock broker as my back up plan
and thanks everyone

As long as you write the AFMAA, you will be considered for both AFM PA and AFM FM. The minimum average to get an invite to the AFMAA is around an 83/84 I believe, plus a minimum of 75 in English (if you have not completed grade 12 Eng they will look at your Grade 11 Eng).

The admission average for FM is 89. That should give you an idea of what mark you will need to get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@goldmansachs wrote

Why else but this? And potentially this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

@goldmansachs wrote

Why else but this? And potentially this.

LOL good answer. The second video hurt me because my name on this thing is flipping GS -_- ahaha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thanks a lot guys
i was mainly wondering about ibanking in toronto
and im interested in ibanking because i love the idea of competign against my colleagues and workign with them at the same time to sign the most clients but i just simply love analyzing data and working 70+ hours for six figures

and does waterloo mind if you redo a course?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@sunny1011 wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

and thanks everyone

BS, read everything on mergersandinquisitions.com before you talk about ibanking again. and stock broking for that matter.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote

@sunny1011 wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

and thanks everyone

BS, read everything on mergersandinquisitions.com before you talk about ibanking again. and stock broking for that matter.

i already have and that was what got me interested in become an ibanking
and i just said stock brokering because i already trade and manage my family and friends' portfolio's so its a great back up seeing as how i already understand the stock market
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@sunny1011 wrote
thanks a lot guys
and im interested in ibanking because i love the idea of competign against my colleagues and workign with them at the same time [size=7]to sign the most clients[/size] but i just simply love analyzing data and working 70+ hours for six figures

Yeah no. Kids these days who want to become Ibankers ....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote

@sunny1011 wrote
thanks a lot guys
and im interested in ibanking because i love the idea of competign against my colleagues and workign with them at the same time [size=7]to sign the most clients[/size] but i just simply love analyzing data and working 70+ hours for six figures

oh never noticed i wrote that i meant to say dealing with many clients

and do you know anything about prop traders?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@sunny1011 wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

@sunny1011 wrote
thanks a lot guys

Seriously >< ... you're not even finished high school. You lack a fundamental understanding of the high finance industry and the careers in it and how they are linked.

Focus on school and ECs and getting into your program first.

If you really must know, Prop Traders are basically the same as any other traders except they basically trade to make money for their firm and not for clients.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote

@sunny1011 wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

@sunny1011 wrote
thanks a lot guys

Seriously >< ... you're not even finished high school. You lack a fundamental understanding of the high finance industry and the careers in it and how they are linked.

If you really must know, Prop Traders are basically the same as any other traders except they basically trade to make money for their firm and not for clients.

you only seem to be a year older than me...what makes you so much superior to me?
sure you got into a program but i doubt youve never had any financial experience either
and im justing asking about jobs that are available in finance...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@sunny1011 wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

@sunny1011 wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

@sunny1011 wrote
thanks a lot guys

you only seem to be a year older than me...what makes you so much superior to me?
sure you got into a program but i doubt youve never had any financial experience either
and im justing asking about jobs that are available in finance...

I didn't claim to have that fundamental understanding of the high finance industry but it's not hard to see at all that you don't. Read about Investment Banks (Specifically the Banks, not the Bankers), their role in the market, and the operations they have. I think that's a good, interesting place to start.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No I think it's great that you are looking into it so early, keep reading and gaining knowledge. I think when I first switched to business I wanted to do investment banking because of the prestige and the money and all that, but I'm leaning more into consulting right now. I will probably change my mind a 100 more times in uni but yeah definitely look into the jobs and see if that's what you want to do. I don't think I will do investment banking because of the lifestyle, I don't think I will be able to work 80-100 hours a week for like 3-4 years and be treated like a b*itch. It's just not me, my cousin is at a BB and he hasn't called/met his parents for like the last 3/4 months. Like I don't want to be THAT consumed into my work and not have a life out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote
No I think it's great that you are looking into it so early, keep reading and gaining knowledge. I think when I first switched to business I wanted to do investment banking because of the prestige and the money and all that, but I'm leaning more into consulting right now. I will probably change my mind a 100 more times in uni but yeah definitely look into the jobs and see if that's what you want to do. I don't think I will do investment banking because of the lifestyle, I don't think I will be able to work 80-100 hours a week for like 3-4 years and be treated like a b*itch. It's just not me, my cousin is at a BB and he hasn't called/met his parents for like the last 3/4 months. Like I don't want to be THAT consumed into my work and not have a life out.

yea i want to only do it for 6 months to a year
and then work for a hedgefund or something but i dont think thatll work right?
what are some other jobs in finance that only require you to work 60 to 70 hours?
Was this helpful? Yes 0