yconic - Business University Question
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Business University Question

A photo of BrittCo BrittCo
Hey

So I know a lot of people always ask this question but i need some advice. In your opinion what is the best University for business in Ontario? I heard about Rotman and Shullich which one do you think is better overall? The thing i don't like about Shullich is that it is in the middle of no where... Rotman seems to be in a good location and pretty accessible to everything. Im not going to be driving a car in University so Im not sure if that is going to be an issue..

What do you think?
Any other information or advice would be great thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of bubbletea bubbletea
The answer to that question really has numerous answers. If you're talking about MBA programs, Rotman and Schulich stand out as the best in Canada. If you're referring to undergrad, the general concensus is that Ivey HBA and Queen's Commerce are the best. Then you can go into specifics, like accounting, where Schulich has the best program out of all of these. The best school really is about what you're looking for, since they all have their own strengths and you need to take into consideration opportunities on campus (networking events, case competitions) that would give you a leg up. Rotman isn't really known for its undergrad, so if you wanted to narrow it down you should be looking at Ivey, Queen's and Schulich for a strong undergraduate background and job opportunities in business.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@bubbletea wrote
The answer to that question really has numerous answers. If you're talking about MBA programs, Rotman and Schulich stand out as the best in Canada.

Queen's and Ivey still have very reputable MBA programs.

@bubbletea wrote
Then you can go into specifics, like accounting, where Schulich has the best program out of all of these.

I think you forgot Waterloo AFM.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of bubbletea bubbletea

@caveman wrote
I think you forgot Waterloo AFM.

That is true, I was focusing on the best "business" programs as the OP was asking. AFM is the best accounting program to become a CA, but Schulich has both a strong overall business curriculum as well as being the strongest for accounting out of the big 4 Ontario business schools. So in the end there are quite a lot of options, you'll have to do research to figure out which one suits you best (Ivey=2 years of biz, the others are 4), Queen's international exchange is really strong, Rotman and Schulich are in Toronto, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@bubbletea wrote
The answer to that question really has numerous answers. If you're talking about MBA programs, Rotman and Schulich stand out as the best in Canada. If you're referring to undergrad, the general concensus is that Ivey HBA and Queen's Commerce are the best. Then you can go into specifics, like accounting, where Schulich has the best program out of all of these. The best school really is about what you're looking for, since they all have their own strengths and you need to take into consideration opportunities on campus (networking events, case competitions) that would give you a leg up. Rotman isn't really known for its undergrad, so if you wanted to narrow it down you should be looking at Ivey, Queen's and Schulich for a strong undergraduate background and job opportunities in business.

Yeah im talking about undergrad sorry I forgot to mention that! Queens looks really expensive :$ So im not sure if i will be able to afford that unless I get a scholarship and i don't want to just count on that. I looked at Ivey but its very far from where I live now its almost 2 hours and I wont really be able to go home that often. Im pretty sure those are crossed off for me. Its such a hard decision. It would be easier to decide if York wasnt in the middle of no where! Thanks for the info!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Ivey is really damn expensive too. I think its somewhere around 20+ grand per year for the 2 years you're in the program? Something like that, don't quote me though.

If you're really concerned about the price of tuition, Schulich probably has by far the best reputation vs. tuition cost ratio.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote
Ivey is really damn expensive too. I think its somewhere around 20+ grand per year for the 2 years you're in the program? Something like that, don't quote me though.

If you're really concerned about the price of tuition, Schulich probably has by far the best reputation vs. tuition cost ratio.

Yeah i was shocked! I defiantly cant afford that! I think im pretty much debating between Rotman and Schulich. Im not sure if i can get over Schulich being in the middle of no where!I like the fact that Rotman is right downtown and close to everything.I also am not sure if i can get my marks high enough to get into Schulich Ive heard its really competitive and 90 is the low average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of viii viii
I can't speak for Rotman, but I can speak for Schulich.

York University is kind of isolated, but it does have its community. Personally, it doesn't appeal to me too much outside of York Lanes (a stretch that is like a mall) where I can hang out with friends and get food. I really just spend most of my time at Schulich when I'm at school though, and I personally enjoy it. There's always somebody to talk to, people to hang out with, and people to work together with.

There's a subway system that's being built right now, that is reported to be completed in 2016, and it will link to Downsview station. Even without the subway system though, the 196A or 196B from York Lanes will take you straight to Downsivew where you can hop on a train and get downtown.

The program is competitive, with the admissions average in the low 90s, but I think it was worth it.

If you have any questions, just feel free to post or message me and I'll reply as soon as I can.
Was this helpful? Yes 0