yconic - Business VS. Engineering admission averages.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Business VS. Engineering admission averages.

A photo of Muirhead11 Muirhead11
The admission averages for business seem to be higher than that of engineering. This is odd to me since engineering is generally a tougher program. Why do you think business' admission averages are higher compared to that of engineering's? Is business just more in demand, or is it the fact that for business you need english and calculus and you can take 4 bird courses, whereas engineering you need to take basically the 5 most difficult courses in high school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@Muirhead11 wrote
or is it the fact that for business you need english and calculus and you can take 4 bird courses, whereas engineering you need to take basically the 5 most difficult courses in high school.

This. Good luck finding inflated 95%s if you have to take Eng, Calc and at least 2 other sciences. High school economics and accounting are VERY easy, and most students take that along with other bird courses (like world issues >.>).

Besides, some engineering programs have high admission averages as well (and a 93% engineering student is much more impressive than a 93% business student).

And for your other point on business being in high demand: I'd actually say there's a better supply/demand in engineering (in general).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@IanSharer wrote

@Muirhead11 wrote
or is it the fact that for business you need english and calculus and you can take 4 bird courses, whereas engineering you need to take basically the 5 most difficult courses in high school.

This. Good luck finding inflated 95%s if you have to take Eng, Calc and at least 2 other sciences. High school economics and accounting are VERY easy, and most students take that along with other bird courses (like world issues >.>).

Besides, some engineering programs have high admission averages as well (and a 93% engineering student is much more impressive than a 93% business student).

And for your other point on business being in high demand: I'd actually say there's a better supply/demand in engineering (in general).

Most, but not quite all.

And this does assume that business students do not take sciences (most don't, but some do).

Your points still stand for the most part.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AsianFail93 AsianFail93
Everything up there and the fact that they probably do have some sort of compensation factor for dropouts to have a decent amount of graduating students...

My guess is mainly the fact you have 5 prerequisites compared to 2-3 and sciences aren't the courses to take
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kb4 kb4

@Muirhead11 wrote
The admission averages for business seem to be higher than that of engineering. This is odd to me since engineering is generally a tougher program. Why do you think business' admission averages are higher compared to that of engineering's? Is business just more in demand, or is it the fact that for business you need english and calculus and you can take 4 bird courses, whereas engineering you need to take basically the 5 most difficult courses in high school.

bro using the word bird is not cool. i mean stop using the word it's not cool to use it all the time and the context ur using it in makes no sense. A course can't be a bird that's like calling a course a *aggot. Imean calling it a course gay would work but not bird. Try to limit ur use of the word bird it's annoying. And why do you care if business has a higher average if ur going into engineering? this was a waste of bytes bro, a waste of bytes. Go fly with ur flock, bird!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele
I'm pretty sure business programs are currently more popular among university applicants than engineering programs. I mean, just look at the forums here. The business section has 2x more posts than the engineering section. Larger pool = tougher acceptance criteria. That's my bet as to why business acceptance requirements are higher.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Muirhead11 Muirhead11

@kb wrote

@Muirhead11 wrote

bro using the word bird is not cool. i mean stop using the word it's not cool to use it all the time and the context ur using it in makes no sense. A course can't be a bird that's like calling a course a *aggot. Imean calling it a course gay would work but not bird. Try to limit ur use of the word bird it's annoying. And why do you care if business has a higher average if ur going into engineering? this was a waste of bytes bro, a waste of bytes. Go fly with ur flock, bird!

unless you're white, don't talk to me
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yaroslav64 Yaroslav64
It's not hard to get a good average when all you have to take is Data managemnet, Functions and english. Meanwhile I'm over here taking chemistry calculus, physics, and functions and english. I have a lot friends who are not all that smart that have better averages than me yet worse grades in classes that we share.
Was this helpful? Yes 0