yconic - Business Vs. Science Vs. Computers
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Business Vs. Science Vs. Computers

A photo of waazup waazup
Okay. I think that today these are the three main competitors for when it comes to what field of study you want to choose.

I am having the trouble also, although I am 99.99% towards business and also haven't taken any science courses!

So, the competition is:

Business (eg. CA or Finance) VS. Science (eg. doctor, pharmacist, surgeon) VS. Computers (eg. software programmer, engineer)

I know that this question is so broad and fairly off-topic but I really want to know. I want to have a strong reason for why I chose business, as some people say it is easier than science and how science is better. Personally, I dislike Science - main reason why I didn't go into it. I am very good at it, just don't connect with it. For computers, I am good at them - but I have a feeling that the number of software programmers have increased a lot.

This is why I chose business. Even my parents say I should have done science or computers (they claim that you typically make $120,000 at age 26 with software programming) but I don't think thats true as it seems too high. It would sound appropriate for business though. The only thing that is (scaring) me is the job employment. If I graduate out of the top universities (Ivey, Queens, Schulich) - is there actually a GOOD chance of employment? I tend not to believe the massaged figures in the employment reports.

So, here I am, in the business forum, asking YOU guys, please contrast the pros and cons of each field. Feel free to say anything. And also include why YOU chose business, if you don't mind.

I need some guidance and confidence on my back that this is the right field for me!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
54 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
Only Asian parents would be dissatisfied with their kid choosing business.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDonShotZ iDonShotZ

@Zion wrote
Only Asian parents would be dissatisfied with their kid choosing business.

LOL +999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

Honestly, you have to pick something that you enjoy doing and that your good at.
I was just like you, never liked science and I always do poorly.If you go into the field of science you are probably gonna hate your job no matter how much money you make. Sometimes its not always about money.

So in grade 12 I dropped all my sciences and took business courses. Also, science courses will bring your average down.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
Do what you enjoy...

How do you expect to code if you aren't interested in programming?

How do you expect to perform audits, build business models, analyze the market, etc... if you aren't interested in economics?

How do you expect to understand a plethora of facts regarding the body and its functions if you're sleeping in your biology class?

Money isn't made by your choice of field...it's made in your efforts. You aren't going to become a doctor if you aren't interested in science, you won't make it to any high finance position if you can't stand economics and you aren't going to manage a programming firm if java bores you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LampShade LampShade
I suggest you take the senior sciences first and then decide what you think of it (since you're already taken it so far). Bio4U and physics4U are very interesting and can blow your mind! And if you don't like it... you can always drop I guess. Grade 11 sciences are just a prelude to grade 12, so the stuff you learn there is just baby stuff :P..

But do what you want to do, but keep in mind taking sciences courses next year will keep your options VERY OPEN so you can exercise all options next year (when you have an idea what you're gonna do, Grade 11 is a bit early to know what u want IMO)

Alot of computer programs require physics too.... heads up.

Therefore a Science student in HS can basically apply for ANYTHING in uni while a full out business student in HS can't apply for sciences and SOME computer programs. So KEEP that in mind.

I took my Bio, Chem, Physics, and Exercise Science all in grade 12 and had many options because of it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Show your parents the CA salary report.... pretty impressive:

http://cica.ems01.com/CA_Profession_Compensation_Survey_2009-En.pdf
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
^ okay the thing is, I never took them in grade 11! haha, they do bore me.
and taking them will close my doors to business, I know it as the 4U Bio course in my school is tough. If I took them, my average would (probably) drop, or at least it would be lower than what I can achieve without them. Also, taking all 3 sciences in grade 12 and not doing it afterwards to me sounds a bit of a waste.

To the others - thanks for the advice I know that I don't like programming and science. But can you guys back me up or provide some info on job, employment and other stats? Don't get me wrong - It's not about the money. I would like to feel somewhat great at what I am doing (although I already do) but I don't want to feel that I am missing out on something that could have been done.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Mhmmmmm well a lost of opportunity is even more of a waste haha.... but anyways i wont elaborate on that BUT

If you didn't take 3U sciences... you cant take 4U sciences cuz they are pre reqs LOL..

So you are probably stuck with business (i hope you took functions and not the mixed math)

Unless you wanna go into arts of course

PS: GR.10 science was kinda lame... it gets MUCH better in gr.11 and EVEN more better in gr.12, just a heads up haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

That's probably the stupidest thing you can do. You don't want yourself or your parents choosing your future based on money (let alone a salary report for people holding a title).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Just to add onto one earlier point...
Last year, I was pretty much in the same position you are in. I signed up for all three science courses(SPH/SCH/SBI) and ended up dropping 2 of them. I wanted to take all three to open doors for me and to assess whether or not I would be good doing sciences... Unfortunately, I am not. :P

Grade 11 sciences are really just a joke. There's no other way of getting around that fact. Grade 11 sciences, especially chemistry and physics are ridiculously easy. You can get by with a ~90s just by listening in class and doing the assigned homework, nothing else. Grade 12 sciences are much harder and if you really don't like it, I'd suggest you drop them now. I got lucky and I was able to change my courses pretty extensively, but many aren't that lucky. Chemistry in particular is the hardest course at my school(or so I've heard)

All in all, don't do it if it already bores you. It bored the crap out of me last year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

HAHA.... yah chem was challenging. Physics was amazing though, changes your out look on the world! Class average between first two tests was 55% though....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

That's probably the stupidest thing you can do. You don't want yourself or your parents choosing your future based on money (let alone a salary report for people holding a title).

His parents seem to think that business isn't very profitable compared to the other fields. He said he is/was 99.9999% sure he wanted to go into business/accounting.

If he does what he wants, and is able to satisfy his parents that business can be profitable, then what is wrong with that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Serendipity Serendipity
Show them the Ivey/Queen's/Schulich salary reports.
then tell them to ask a first year engineering student what they're making.
then ask them what % of Bio/Health Science people actually make it into Med School.

The software engineering average salary = 130k is BS, maybe if you make it into Silicon Valley then it's 130k, but since you're from Canada then chances are relatively smaller.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote
His parents seem to think that business isn't very profitable compared to the other fields. He said he is/was 99.9999% sure he wanted to go into business/accounting.

If he does what he wants, and is able to satisfy his parents that business can be profitable, then what is wrong with that?

If your parents value money in regards to your future, then disregard their opinion or kindly tell them to pursue that field.

@Serendipity wrote
Show them the Ivey/Queen's/Schulich salary reports.
then tell them to ask a first year engineering student what they're making.
then ask them what % of Bio/Health Science people actually make it into Med School.

The software engineering average salary = 130k is BS, maybe if you make it into Silicon Valley then it's 130k, but since you're from Canada then chances are relatively smaller.

Not sure if you're implying that engineers make less than business grads, because they don't. Unless you're comparing a Ryerson Engineer with a Queen's Commerce grad, they're fairly equal for the most part and probably higher on average (saw an actual report comparing them somewhere, will try to find).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

If your parents value money in regards to your future, then disregard their opinion or kindly tell them to pursue that field.

Most people do respect their parent's opinions.

And most parents want their children to be able to support themselves financially in the future.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
I've been in a similar position as you since gr11 as well, except only being torn between the medical sciences and business. I truly can't speak for you, and I encourage you to actually try to get a realistic glimpse of professions you would want from each field. I'm pretty sure that the high school covered material is EXTREMELY different from how each job actually works. Also, it's really important to make sure that your parents are involved in your decision and you should try talking to them about it, but ultimately it is YOUR decision. You want to be able to justify your own reasons and be confident in your choice, and your parents can definitely help you reach that point.

If it's a question of money vs. say medicine, CA's tend to make much more on average. Although there's inherent risk in business, the ceiling for salary can be much higher. Also, it's important to note that you can start out in science or computers and transfer to business much easier than you can transfer from a business undergrad into a career of science or computers. There's also a % of people who tend to switch careers down the road. It's impractical for you to assume that the decision you make now is absolutely perfect, which makes it good to be flexible and reasonable with future circumstances that may occur. Good work ethic is something that is ubiquitous in all three of these jobs.

Personally, between the prospect of medicine and business, I chose business. Although I'm still definitely open to the idea of either of those and to a certain extent, engineering, at this point I definitely like business more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

And most parents want their children to be able to support themselves financially in the future.

And most people think Justin Beiber has talent, the world's going to end in 2012 and that they'll all be making six to seven digit salaries. Doesn't mean it has any merit.

Generally, most parents don't know much about the field their child's interested in, so why would you respect their opinion in regards to your future? Research it yourself (and that doesn't mean looking for salary reports).

You don't want to pick a field because of money. You won't be successful and that's the unfortunate truth. Becoming a doctor isn't as simple as grade 12 biology and making any sort of decent salary in business requires all the right tools. You don't want to spend the next 45 years of your life waking up with regrets so you can buy the next iPad a little faster.

When you enjoy what you're doing, it's not work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

And most people think Justin Beiber has talent, the world's going to end in 2012 and that they'll all be making six to seven digit salaries. Doesn't mean it has any merit.

Generally, most parents don't know much about the field their child's interested in, so why would you respect their opinion in regards to your future? Research it yourself (and that doesn't mean looking for salary reports).

You don't want to pick a field because of money. You won't be successful and that's the unfortunate truth. Becoming a doctor isn't as simple as grade 12 biology and making any sort of decent salary if business requires all the right tools.

My parent are both very intelligent people. They have worked extremely hard to get to where they are today and have learned quite a lot more than I have. I have a tremendous respect for their opinions. It also turns out that one of my parents knew quite a lot about business and one quite a lot about engineering, and those were the two fields I considered going into. I know a lot of my friends' parents are intelligent people too and they welcome their parent' input, for the most part. I'm sure this isn't always true, but that's my experiences.

I was most interested in business and engineering. I love both of the fields. I also want to make money. It may not be important to some people, but it is to me. Not to the point where I hate my job, but it is important. I would love to be a mattress tester or chocolate taste-tester, but I don't think they are economically-viable careers for the most part, plus I don't know what schooling you need for those careers. But I wanted a career that I would enjoy and that I would be able to make money off of.

My parents wanted me to do what I enjoy. I know that they supported any choice I would make. But they did want me to choose something where I could make at least decent money. I am sure that if I told them that I wanted to be an artist, or try and forge myself a professional hockey career, they would have said no go to school and get a job. But if I wanted to be a marine biologist, cartographer, nutritionist, youth addictions counsellor, firefighter etc. they would support me.

/rant
Was this helpful? Yes 0

And btw, it's not like I am telling him "become a CA, they make lots of $$money$$"

He wants to go into business. Business is financially-rewarding (or at least can very well be), so why not do something you love and make good money at it.

If his parents are worried about him not being able to support himself, show them that there is money in business and he should prove to them that business is what he wants to do, regardless of money, and hopefully they will support his decision. If not, ignore them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Lol, woah woah guys! Relax, my parents do not care about the money only!!! I may have said that but did not imply it as heavily as you guys are. They will support me no matter what, but I think the biggest problem is exactly as stated above, they think business is not where the money is.

Apparently they think business is "average" and anyone can do it. They are definitely underestimating it. Sure, I and they would like a financially rewarding career, but it does not mean that I give my dream up for it.

I just dislike science and computers seems fine, but math + business just come naturally to me. It's a yes vs. no thing.

I know that I have made my mind pretty set, but you guys are not answering my "real" question haha, what types of employment rates are there in Canada for these programs? What's the DEMAND for them?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ haha, I think I know what you're talking about

Just wait for g93 to come post some info
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@waazup wrote
Lol, woah woah guys! Relax, my parents do not care about the money only!!! I may have said that but did not imply it as heavily as you guys are. They will support me no matter what, but I think the biggest problem is exactly as stated above, they think business is not where the money is.

You just contradicted yourself. It doesn't matter where the money is as long as it's what you enjoy.

Unfortunately, I think the "answers" you're looking for are some stupid salary reports claiming that CA's average almost 200k and that it's the best career aspect for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I don't know a lot about the pros and cons but (from what I hear) Software Engineers have one of the highest quality's of living.

I chose/am choosing business because, although I've been strong at most subjects (except stupid biology, ugh), but sciences just seemed too tough, require too much effort, and I couldn't get above 86 in them. I'm not saying I won't work hard, but it's just so bloody frustrating at times. Also, for the amount of work and for how smart you had to be...the salaries don't overly show that (except for doctors and whatnot). But if you like that stuff go for it, I mean I never really enjoyed it from the start and this was just another reason why I didn't continue with it.

In grade 12 I stopped taking all sciences and focused on business classes and I just liked them better - it seemed more "real". Like I could actually relate this to real stuff happening (honestly I've never used a Bohr-Rutherford diagram in my life except for chemistry). But in economics I could be like "oh yea, so that's why the prices went up" or whatever lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@waazup wrote

Apparently they think business is "average" and anyone can do it. They are definitely underestimating it. Sure, I and they would like a financially rewarding career, but it does not mean that I give my dream up for it.

I just dislike science and computers seems fine, but math + business just come naturally to me. It's a yes vs. no thing.

I know that I have made my mind pretty set, but you guys are not answering my "real" question haha, what types of employment rates are there in Canada for these programs? What's the DEMAND for them?

There is and, at least for the forseeable future, will be a demand for accountants and other business professions.

I don't know about specific employment rates really.

Here a couple links you might find useful, both accounting-related:

http://www.icao.on.ca/MediaRoom/MediaCoverage/2006mCoverage/1009page6887.pdf

http://www.icao.on.ca/Resources/Publications/1009page7789.pdf
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^See, told ya he'd post some random inofmation. He's always good for that.

I am a little disappointed though. I was expecting him to come in with all guns a-blazing. Kind of a fail almost.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@IanSharer wrote

@waazup wrote

You just contradicted yourself. It doesn't matter where the money is as long as it's what you enjoy.

Unfortunately, I think the "answers" you're looking for are some stupid salary reports claiming that CA's average almost 200k and that it's the best career aspect for you.

No...I didn't contradict myself. My parents will support me for anything, sure. But that doesn't mean they support me being a garbage man or carpenter, etc. They want me to have a good financial aid too. Don't get me wrong, my parents are not cheap, I am not cheap, we are definitely not poor nor are we greedy. I have everything plus more I could ask for. They just think business is too basic, there is no money in there and "I can do better". You understand?

The "answers" I'm looking for are not salary reports. Sure they seem great but I'm not like that. The stuff that was posted by g93 is the type of stuff I'm looking for (btw, thanks for that! great read). Nowhere have I mentioned I want salary reports. I'm looking at employment rate/job opportunities/security/demand/region, etc. for jobs in these fields such as CA or Finance VS. doctor or pharmacist VS. software engineer or programmer...

Hope you understand me now. Thanks, good night!
Was this helpful? Yes 0