yconic - Business with only one math?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Business with only one math?

A photo of tomatosoup tomatosoup
Which business schools can I get into with only one grade 12 math? I'm unable to take two and I'm planning on taking a second math during the summer to help prepare me for university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of sleeporfoodorfriends sleeporfoodorfriends
This year, Ryerson only required one math course. They've been talking about changing it, though I'm unsure as to which year they want to implement the new requirement.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@sleeporfoodorfriends wrote
This year, Ryerson only required one math course. They've been talking about changing it, though I'm unsure as to which year they want to implement the new requirement.

You don't think it'll be for the 2012 school year, do you? My marks are very high, however, I'm unable to attend any other school in Toronto (I live there) due to math.. I honestly can only take Data because the prereq I have can be only used for that 4U course. This is my passion and I know I'll be prepared as I am very good at math. I can't afford res and do not want to leave my grandmother alone. It's making me very nervous. However, I will look into schools that will accept me outside Toronto.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sleeporfoodorfriends sleeporfoodorfriends
I would try to call into admissions to confirm - I really don't know much about the math requirement. Sorry! Best of luck with everything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
My counselor told me that they are going to implement the two required maths for 2012-2013 admission.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of foreveryoung foreveryoung

@tomatosoup wrote

You don't think it'll be for the 2012 school year, do you? My marks are very high, however, I'm unable to attend any other school in Toronto (I live there) due to math.. I honestly can only take Data because the prereq I have can be only used for that 4U course. This is my passion and I know I'll be prepared as I am very good at math. I can't afford res and do not want to leave my grandmother alone. It's making me very nervous. However, I will look into schools that will accept me outside Toronto.

is it too late to do summer school this summer?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@foreveryoung wrote

@tomatosoup wrote

is it too late to do summer school this summer?

Unfortunately, I can't attend summer school this summer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Oxidize wrote
My counselor told me that they are going to implement the two required maths for 2012-2013 admission.

Is there any way I can confirm this? A link perhaps?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I would try to call into admissions to confirm - I really don't know much about the math requirement. Sorry! Best of luck with everything.

Thank you. I plan on contacting admissions tomorrow.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Just to confirm in case anyone was wondering. Ryerson will not be changing their admission requirements until admission for the 2013-2014 year... meaning if anyone wishes to requister for Ted Rogers this coming school year, they qualify for admission into the school with the current one math requirement. I called admissions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
Can't you get into the regular York bba with only one math (advanced functions)?

I'm pretty sure you can also get into York's Business and Society program with any grade 12 math.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mvplayur mvplayur
I'd recommend Beacon, TIA, or another private school where you can complete an additional math course.

Expensive, yes, but it opens up so many more options for you.
At the end of the day, I don't think you'd want to say, I had the marks to attend this school, but couldn't because I didn't have space in my timetable to take another math course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vince1266 vince1266
If you're so heart-set on taking anything business-related in university, then its best if you take two maths (preferrably functions and calc, but data is pretty easy too). Off the top of my head, the only programs I know of that require only one math are: Rotman Commerce at UTSG(English and Calc), U of Windsor bcomm, and Western BMOS - Marketing (I've been told that the marketing stream only requires one math, while the others require two, but don't quote me on this).

Another alternative for you would be taking an online class. I would suggest doing English since its required for every university program, and plus, since you're doing it online, its a lot easier than doing it at school and its not really needed for any business programs in university (By that, I don't mean as a prerequisite. You really don't have to take any English courses in university). No, universities don't care if you take one, unless its specified (None, which I know take online courses into consideration).

And if you don't mind me asking, why don't you have room for two maths in your schedule? Is it because you would be missing required credits (ie. art)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brandonholmes brandonholmes
Economics at Western only requires Data Management. If you can get Ivey AEO status then that's not too bad of a deal.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@tomatosoup wrote
Just to confirm in case anyone was wondering. Ryerson will not be changing their admission requirements until admission for the 2013-2014 year... meaning if anyone wishes to requister for Ted Rogers this coming school year, they qualify for admission into the school with the current one math requirement. I called admissions.

Your right! I asked e-mailed them and they said

Thank you for your email.

For Fall 2012 Admission, 2 math are strongly recommended. The requirement will still be just 1 Grade 12 U Math.

However, effective Fall 2013, 2 math courses will be required (Calculus and Vectors, and Advanced functions).

For additional information, please check out our Client Service blog by visiting www.ryerson.ca/undergraduate/admission/.
Was this helpful? Yes 0