yconic - C++
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

C++

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats
I want to learn the programming language C++. Where should I start from? My friend recommended Dev-C++ to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of iRamie iRamie
Go watch some University lectures on YouTube.
Or get a book from the library (That's what i did), C++ For dummies.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@iRamie wrote
Go watch some University lectures on YouTube.
Or get a book from the library (That's what i did), C++ For dummies.

+1

I don't really have any specific recommendations, but I've used lecture videos and instructional books when learning Python, Java, and C#. I'd advise going on iTunes U and searching for videos, and then going to the library to find some books. Or you could go on Amazon so that you can see the reviews of each.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pandasbox pandasbox
MIT's opencourseware is pretty good, I learned calculus and physics from there, they have video lectures, notes, and assignments.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats
Thanks for the suggestions! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
I personally recommend Codeblocks over Dev C++ so you can see some colour. Plus it's more annoying to compile and check console output on Dev C++ cause you gotta put in a system pause line.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose
Hi! You seem to be in grade 10, so I am going to assume your knowledge of programming languages is quite minimal. (If it weren't, I doubt you'd be asking on a forum where to find resources for learning a language :P)

Well, all of these methods mentioned are fine for learning a new language--after you have a reasonable foundation. C++ is a bit of an abomination in terms of language size/syntax, and is definitely not good for a first language to be learning.

Basically, once you have a strong foundation of a functional language and a strong foundation for an imperative language, you can learn anything. So we want to develop the proper understanding and programming approaches first before we move on to the flavor-of-the-year languages, like Java, C++, or even something like Go. A couple of shining examples for each of these categories are Lisp and C. I highly recommend a formal, in-depth introduction to these two "pure" languages before you start to add to your toolset (in particular, the grossness of O(bject) O(riented) P(rogramming), which is why I recommend you don't start running after C++ just yet).

So: stay away from lousy books. Dev-C++ just looks like an IDE (to write C++ code in) so I can't imagine that would help you *learn* the language, unless you've already learned something with OOP features and C-like syntax.

If you want the imperative language, pick up a copy of K&R C and learn C first. Make sure you have a very comfortable understanding and command of pointers and the memory model before you move on to other nastier beasts like C++. Not sure I can help you much for compiling that code in windows though, try a google search.

If you're interested in Lisp or other functional languages, I recommend you check out this book, available free: http://www.htdp.org/

It's an introduction to Scheme, a dialect of Lisp, and is a totally different perspective on programming versus the imperative model. Also, you can use DrRacket, a powerful little IDE/interpreter environment for developing Racket (a dialect of scheme...), you can get that here: http://racket-lang.org/

You might find this second approach very interesting, as opposed to the typical imperative introduction to programming.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of merm123 merm123

@StudentAtStPats wrote
I want to learn the programming language C++. Where should I start from? My friend recommended Dev-C++ to me.

Wow, grade 10 wanting to learn C++! Now that's awesome :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0