yconic - CA Career Through Laurier, UofT, Schulich
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

CA Career Through Laurier, UofT, Schulich

A photo of VivekanJey VivekanJey
Hey I've applied to Laurier BBA/Financial Math, UTSC Coop Management, Rotman Commerce, Schulich BBA, AFM-CA and Math/CA
I wanna get my CA Designation following my post-secondary education and was wondering:

1) Asides from the two Waterloo programs which of the other four programs would provide the best/easiest/fastest path towards getting a CA designation?

2) Are any of the other schools asides from Waterloo accredited with the ICAO? Do any of the other schools offer the required credits or hours or whatever it is, to write the three CA exams/become a CA?

3) How do the Co-Op/Internships options differ between these programs?

4) Is internship at Rotman/Schulich as effective as co-op at Laurier/UTSC?

5) Overall what would u do in those programs in order to get your CA designation?

Sorry for all the questions but I have yet to understand how all of this works. I'm aware of how everything works with the Waterloo programs and have heard from friends and others about the other programs but any kind of information would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
1) In terms of speed, Brock is probably the school that will get you the CA the fastest, assuming you land a co-op position and pass all of your exams.
- Brock Co-op 4 work tems: 1 fall 3 wintes
- Waterloo 4 work terms: 1 summer 3 winters
I don't know Laurier's structure as well but I know 1 of their work terms is a summer.
In your average CA program, you will get more hours working a fall term than you will working a summer term. The winter is obviously the term that gets you the most hours. Brock will give you a very very slight advantage on timing, assuming your vacation is in line with the average CA student, and depending on your clients i guess.

In terms of easiness, Brock is probably again the best choice. It is not as competitive as other programs such as Waterloo. This makes it marginally easier to be in the top tier of your class.

Brock is also the cheapest way to get your CA, with tuition costs much lower than other schools, especially Waterloo. Living costs are also dirt cheap in St. Catharines

However of the ones you have picked, Waterloo would be the fastest. I cannot comment on easiness between Waterloo vs. Laurier vs. Schulic vs. Rotman.

2) There are a lot of schools that are fully accredited. http://www.icao.on.ca/Public/ICAOFundinginAccountingInOntario/1014page4565.aspx
Some require that you take additional schooling however (Queens for example).

3) Waterloo has probably the best co-op structure of your choices. 3 winter terms and 1 summer. Schulic has no co-op, so all of your placements at CA firms will be summer ones (which tend to be the most fun from what my co-workers tell me).

4) No. You don’t get nearly as much experience in the summer.

4) Waterloo, Laurier, Schulic, Rotman (with a wildcard Mississauga MMPA in there)

I would advise you not to pick a school based on how fast you can get a CA. You need to like accounting. I strongly advise against doing something you hate just so you can get a designation that might get you a job way down the road. There are other designations just as valuable. Also, school is supposed to be fun. I love school, and will dread the day when it comes to an end. I would stay in school my entire life if I could. Visit all of the campuses; you need to picture yourself living there for 4+ years.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman
1. At Schulich you can complete the 51 credit hours within 4 years. At the other programs, you need an additional semester. So it's potentially a bit faster. But other than that they're the same (ignoring gaining work through co-op vs other)

2. All except for UTSC are fully-accredited by the ICAO. UTSC also has the 51 credit hours. The only real difference is you don't have to worry about counting credits, filling prereqs and you only need a cumulative B- average, among other minute details. You can read more of this on the ICAO website: guidetorulingtheworld.com

3. Waterloo has 4 co-op terms, 3 of which can be in the winter term, and 1 in the fall (there is flexibility based on what your employer wants, but most students working in public practice will do it this way). Laurier has 3 co-op terms, 1 each in fall, winter and spring (apparently you can switch it up to get an extra in the winter term, but I'm not sure how this works). UTSC has 3 terms, and I believe there is flexibility for when you can do them (not sure how much). Rotman and Schulich have internships. You apply to basically be a co-op for the summer, but it's external of the school. You only get to record half of your billable hours towards the ICAO's experience requirement if you're not on co-op, which is definitely a downside.

4. See the last point made within 3. Since you're working in the summer, you do not get to experience working during the busy season, which is a major loss. Other than that you gain the same experience, and there's really not much difference.

5. You choose the accounting specialization/option w/e. You usually declare in 3rd year or something. You complete the program in the accounting specialization, and if it's fully accredited you satisfy the education requirement. Then you get set on the exams (if you go to Waterloo you'll be exempt). The experience requirement can be started at any time.

Any of these programs, and any of the fully-accredited programs (Brock, Queen's, Ivey and Mac) are excellent schools for accounting. Many people say Waterloo and Schulich are the best, but that's an opinion. Look into the opportunities the school presents, and consider all of the factors like social life, residence experience, campus size, cost, etc. and figure out which one seems best for you. My opinion was that Waterloo was undoubtedly the best, but that's just my opinion and there's others that will say Schulich, QC, Brock, Laurier or w/e are the best.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround

@caveman wrote

3. Waterloo has 4 co-op terms, 3 of which can be in the winter term, and 1 in the fall (there is flexibility based on what your employer wants, but most students working in public practice will do it this way).

The Waterloo students I work with have a double term Winter-Summer setup in their third year. This is the most common atleast for big 4.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@kiddinaround wrote

@caveman wrote

3. Waterloo has 4 co-op terms, 3 of which can be in the winter term, and 1 in the fall (there is flexibility based on what your employer wants, but most students working in public practice will do it this way).

The Waterloo students I work with have a double term Winter-Summer setup in their third year. This is the most common atleast for big 4.

Yeah, that's because the program recently changed. For my year (2016) and onward, the co-op scheduling has changed (biggest change is for the FM/Business & Finance kids). But yes, before that's how the co-op sequencing worked.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Junction Junction

@kiddinaround wrote
1) In terms of speed, Brock is probably the school that will get you the CA the fastest, assuming you land a co-op position and pass all of your exams.
- Brock Co-op 4 work tems: 1 fall 3 wintes
- Waterloo 4 work terms: 1 summer 3 winters
I don't know Laurier's structure as well but I know 1 of their work terms is a summer.
In your average CA program, you will get more hours working a fall term than you will working a summer term. The winter is obviously the term that gets you the most hours. Brock will give you a very very slight advantage on timing, assuming your vacation is in line with the average CA student, and depending on your clients i guess.

In terms of easiness, Brock is probably again the best choice. It is not as competitive as other programs such as Waterloo. This makes it marginally easier to be in the top tier of your class.

Brock is also the cheapest way to get your CA, with tuition costs much lower than other schools, especially Waterloo. Living costs are also dirt cheap in St. Catharines

However of the ones you have picked, Waterloo would be the fastest. I cannot comment on easiness between Waterloo vs. Laurier vs. Schulic vs. Rotman.

2) There are a lot of schools that are fully accredited. http://www.icao.on.ca/Public/ICAOFundinginAccountingInOntario/1014page4565.aspx
Some require that you take additional schooling however (Queens for example).

3) Waterloo has probably the best co-op structure of your choices. 3 winter terms and 1 summer. Schulic has no co-op, so all of your placements at CA firms will be summer ones (which tend to be the most fun from what my co-workers tell me).

4) No. You don’t get nearly as much experience in the summer.

4) Waterloo, Laurier, Schulic, Rotman (with a wildcard Mississauga MMPA in there)

I would advise you not to pick a school based on how fast you can get a CA. You need to like accounting. I strongly advise against doing something you hate just so you can get a designation that might get you a job way down the road. There are other designations just as valuable. Also, school is supposed to be fun. I love school, and will dread the day when it comes to an end. I would stay in school my entire life if I could. Visit all of the campuses; you need to picture yourself living there for 4+ years.

Kiddingaround is right; Brock Co-op is the fastest way to get your CA designation out of all the universities in Ontario, but it is not because of the 3 winters/1 fall thing; it all comes down to the time added to Waterloo students because of the MAcc program.

To qualify to be a CA, you need not only CA hours, but 30 months of work experience to qualify. As both Brock/Waterloo has 4 co-op terms, you can get up to 16/30 months done before you graduate.

The difference between Brock and Waterloo is that once you finish your undergrad at Brock, you immediately start full time (8 months before Waterloo grads). The reason is Waterloo students have to go through the MAcc program to finish their 51 credit hours (as well as bypass the CKE + SOA).

But going back to your original question, I believe UTSC Co-op would be the next fastest way of getting your CA the fastest (and UTSC lands quite a few people into Big4 too). Laurier is also a good choice (the BBA option, I'm not sure about the double degree).

Hope that helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0