My Feed Money for School Explore Academic Subjects Explore Schools Explore Student Life Topics Student Help Brands Winners Support Center
About yconic Partner with Us Contact Us
Uthink Fund Your Future
Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy Copyright
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More

CA, CGA, and MBA requirement 2+ years of work experience. Does CMA require any work experience?

A photo of studentofcommerce studentofcommerce
CA, CGA, and MBA requirement 2+ years of work experience. Does CMA require any work experience?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of missblair missblair
Yes, it's 24 months of practical work experience related to management accounting I believe.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

Once you have passed the Entrance Exam, CMA Ontario requires you to acquire two years of practical experience relevant to the management accounting profession. Previous Canadian experience may qualify. The guidelines are outlined through the following link: www.cma-ontario.org/work

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gassergasser gassergasser
I want to be a CMA, thanks for the info!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

Once you have passed the Entrance Exam, CMA Ontario requires you to acquire two years of practical experience relevant to the management accounting profession. Previous Canadian experience may qualify. The guidelines are outlined through the following link: www.cma-ontario.org/work

Who is going to hire us? It's really hard to find an accounting job after undergrad.

Can anyone help give more info?

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@studentofcommerce wrote

@g93 wrote

Who is going to hire us? It's really hard to find an accounting job after undergrad.

Thanks.

There are many places you can work. You can work in industry, you can work in public practice.

Lots of places will hire CMAs, or any of the designations.

http://careers.cma-ontario.org/files/compensation/CompensationSurvey_2009.pdf

Check out the salary report. It includes information about pay, where people work (industry type and geographical areas), # of years of employment, etc. It's really good information if you spend some time looking at it.

There is also an employment connection where you can search for jobs through the CMA website.

I don't know if that answers your question or not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@studentofcommerce wrote

@g93 wrote

Thanks.

There are many places you can work. You can work in industry, you can work in public practice.

Lots of places will hire CMAs, or any of the designations.

http://careers.cma-ontario.org/files/compensation/CompensationSurvey_2009.pdf

Check out the salary report. It includes information about pay, where people work (industry type and geographical areas), # of years of employment, etc. It's really good information if you spend some time looking at it.

There is also an employment connection where you can search for jobs through the CMA website.

I don't know if that answers your question or not.

Yeah I know CMA can get jobs, but I'm asking like you know how you said CMA require 2 years of work experience before we do that. Can a university grad get accounting jobs? I doubt firms will hire university graduates.

then how are we going to fulfill CMA's 2 year work experience requirement?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Most firms or businesses love co-op students. They get tax breaks and they are cheap labour. And some are looking for intelligent people who can learn the ropes early and then later fulfill an important role in their company.
Was this helpful? Yes 0