yconic - CA Summer Jobs - Help
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

CA Summer Jobs - Help

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
Hey everyone,

I want to apply for a summer job at some CA firms.

As you can see, I go to Laurier. I have a high GPA, some previous work experience (including some related work experience), what I feel is a pretty good resume (my mom works in HR, but I plan to take it to a business writing professor or something as well), some decent ECs and what I feel are pretty good interviewing skills (we shall see).

I wanted to get into the Big 4 (who doesn't?), but I hear that recruiting season is in September-October. Do I have any chance at these places? If so: I know some people that work in the Big 4, should I try emailing them or something?

What about other firms? What are the chances of getting in there? I don't take accounting until second year, so I can't be overly useful.

If anyone has any information/advice, that would be much appreciated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of Gymmonkey Gymmonkey
Do you mind sharing your GPA in a pm? It usually is a high indicator of whether you get recruited by a CA firm or not.

Since youre only in first year you probably wont get much of a look from national firms (they hold out for Co-op students). Id say your best bet would be to apply at small local firms and brag about your experience in cover letters/resume once you're in co op after second year. It will be a huge leg up on the competition to get into a CATO.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
You've missed recruiting season at this point. Try some smaller firms to get experience. By recommendation is to get into co-op. Recruiting for accounting co-ops for first years just wrapped up now actually - had a friend get an offer from EY. To be competitive you need a 10 GPA, with higher desired of course. If you feel you have great EC's/experience, you may get in with a 9.5ish.

Also, if you think your resume is good, it probably sucks (sorry). If you want you can pm me a copy with identitying parts blacked out and I can offer some tips.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster

@Nick0rz wrote
Also, if you think your resume is good, it probably sucks (sorry). If you want you can pm me a copy with identitying parts blacked out and I can offer some tips.

Well as I said my mom works in HR and I have done a lot of research/spent a lot of time working on my resume. I also have a family friend who has his own CA firm (small gig but still his own) and he's looked it over and provided some advice. I was also planning to take it into a business writing professor or something similar. I heard they're the ones to go to for resumes (not sure if they exist in Canada or at Laurier).

Thanks for the offer though, and thanks for the other information.
Was this helpful? Yes 0