yconic - Calculator?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Calculator?

A photo of krankd krankd
Hey any current engineering students, what type of calculators do you guys use? I have to buy a new calculator, and i figure i might as well buy one i can use next year in university. Any help would be appreciated!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of krankd krankd
Alright thanks. Do the calculus professors not allow calculator use?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel
In my undergrad (mechanical engineering at the U of A) I was never allowed a calculator for any calculus exams. Most of my other courses a calculator was allowed, but it had to be from a list of approved ones with a sticker showing that it was acceptable.

I used a graphing calculator ALL THE TIME for homework though. The larger screen is invaluable. I use it a lot now in grad school too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Not in Engineering but our first year math courses are similar:

"Calculators are evil" - Every Math prof I've had so far.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
You simply don't need a calculator for calculus. You don't do any complicated algebra. A calculator isn't exactly going to help you do integrals and derivatives, for example
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of engineersrock engineersrock

@ktel wrote
You simply don't need a calculator for calculus. You don't do any complicated algebra. A calculator isn't exactly going to help you do integrals and derivatives, for example

Well, in high school I remember checking my derivatives with a calculator using first principles haha

That used to be funny, it would be so easy to verify answers in high school calculus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
The one I've had since Grade 10 and can still be used in my Algebra, Stats, Phys, and Chem courses: http://www.shopcasio.com/product/1933

Some schools restrict you on calculators from not having graphing and calculus functions. This one's perfect.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of avp avp
^..That's wat i use currently..! I absolutely love this calculator and cant think of changing it by any means! Its almost perfect for me! p.s. im in grade 12
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WaterfallOfDestiny WaterfallOfDestiny
I'm allowed to bring a calculator (either non-programmable or "approved" model) to all my test/exams. Like the others said, of course, you probably won't need a calculator for first-year calculus.

Depending on your school, there might be cases where you're only allowed an "approved" calculator. For example, I found this list for McGill engineering. Waterloo engineering, on the other hand, is fine with any non-programmable calculator as long as it has no memory.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
Haha I was told to get a graphing calculator for high school math, but I guess I won't be needing it next year..
Was this helpful? Yes 0