yconic - CALCULUS vs VECTORS
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

CALCULUS vs VECTORS

A photo of 311 311
For those of you who have already taken Calculus and Vectors....what part of the course was easier (your marks were higher in) the vectors units or the actual calculus stuff?

I've heard people say that vectors was a breeze and calculus was very difficult...however, i've also heard the opposite :S Right now, my class is doing vectors and I am finding it very hard and am getting horrible marks :S

Also, if you took advanced functions as well, do you think it helped you do better in calc?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I just finished taking advanced functions last semester and yes it does help you in calculus. Although every day our teacher tells us that everything you learned since your first day of math class brings you one step closer to calculus! We will be starting vectors in our next unit and he has told us that it is a bit more challenging to do vectors because I believe you have to be able to "See" the situation. If you need help with calc I am doing pretty good in the course so just ask!

Good Luck! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Calc was very easy, vectors was confusing (still got 90+ but a significant decline from my calc mark). I'm not good at imagining things in 3D planes.

Don't remember much of advanced functions.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stack444 stack444
the people in my class who did well with vectors were the ones who were also taking physics, with a few exceptions of course. but if you are good at physics then vectors should be a breeze
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DarthAlpha DarthAlpha
Vectors and Vector Spaces are also learned in Linear Algebra, if you took that course, it should not be that hard to work with it in Calculus.
Do not try to IMAGINE vectors as vectors can be anything. As long as a well defined operation is imposed on any collection of distinct things (set), that satisfies all vector space axioms then it can be a vector space.
I mean anything then it's anything, so don't worry about "ah, I have bad imagination in 3D" etc. They certainly help, but what about R ^ 6, no one can imagine it any way :P

Also, Calculus is a subset of Algebra, so if you took algebra, you should be fine. Even if you didn't, just think of vectors as baskets of things with operations.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
People usually do well in the Calc portion if they enjoyed / did well in Adv FUnctions. Vectors is more abstract .. and boring .. the curriculum wasnt bad though. took it @ the same time as i took physics, didnt give me that big of an advantage.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue

@DarthAlpha wrote
Vectors and Vector Spaces are also learned in Linear Algebra, if you took that course, it should not be that hard to work with it in Calculus.
Do not try to IMAGINE vectors as vectors can be anything. As long as a well defined operation is imposed on any collection of distinct things (set), that satisfies all vector space axioms then it can be a vector space.
I mean anything then it's anything, so don't worry about "ah, I have bad imagination in 3D" etc. They certainly help, but what about R ^ 6, no one can imagine it any way :P

Also, Calculus is a subset of Algebra, so if you took algebra, you should be fine. Even if you didn't, just think of vectors as baskets of things with operations.

Many of the people in MCV 4U will never take university linear algebra. For those people, ignore DarthAlpha because it'll only confuse you. I believe the reason that high schools don't extend the concepts you learn into more dimensions is because people cannot comprehend anything above 3. As such, I recommend you keep going with imagination aspect of vectors.

If imagining a third dimension doesn't work for you, I also recommend bringing a few extra pencils to class and using them as vectors (and use your paper for a plane) especially during class (provided your teacher lets you do this - I don't see why they wouldn't anyways).

As for which of the two is more difficult, without a doubt it's vectors, if for no other reason because there is not a geometry focus on what you've done thus far in high school, which would've really helped with vectors. Calculus at least has certain rules that are easy to understand using what you already know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Im almost done doing vectors. First part of vectors is really straight forward if you've taken physics the second part dealing with planes and intersections and lines etc. is a little more abstract but not too hard if you can visulize three dimensions. I kinda wish they still offered linear algebra as a course it would definately help for next year
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of linlinlin0109 linlinlin0109
i'm doing the calculus part, and I found it pretty easy. Haven't started the vectors part, cuz i'm doing the AP calc. But I heard people from regular classes said that vectors is hard..! but if u have physics background, then i think it will be easier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noble11 noble11
Im doing MCV 4U atm, and the vectors part is fairly challenging. Coming from someone who is decent at math and took gr 11 physics, not 12, and has some understanding of vectors, the concepts are not hard to grasp but on tests at my school the degree of "hardness" on the questions is substantial.

My teacher says ppl usually do better in calc, so im hoping as well. To be successful in the vectors, u need to be decent at visually and know a lot of little bits of info here and there that really help.

Hope that helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0