yconic - calculus
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

calculus

A photo of jaqmccomb jaqmccomb
should i take calculus? is it worth while if i'm going into science? perferably forensics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
36 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I think you should..
Most first year science programs require their students to take first year calculus anyways..
So if you take calculus now.. you'll have a better understanding of it.
:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kenissetrotman123 kenissetrotman123
it's definitely worth it
even if you don't do that well in it during high school, when you get to university you'll do a lot better because you'll have previous knowledge of the course. think of it as a practice class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
First year calculus is pretty easy so if you have time for it then you might as well take it. But research your prof before you choose a class just in case they're really bad
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tashaajones tashaajones
I'm a first year student taking Calculus, and it is sometimes a prerequisite or co-requisite to some courses. Specifically, I've noticed that we've begun using Calculus in Chemsitry. I'm not sure if it's necessary for Biology, since I haven't seen it there yet, but Physics is another Science that needs Calculus to be able to continue in it. Of course this varies from school to school, but I think it would mostly be the same at a majority of schools. Try talking to an Academic Advisor, maybe they can help you with decisions in your courses!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BugNerd BugNerd
Calculus is definitely worthwhile to take. It will get used in most scientific fields at some point or another. It's also handy to have so you can use it as a critical thinking tool in your professional life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AaronJ AaronJ
I personally do not take calculus because its way to difficult trying to figure out and memorizing all the formulas and calculations
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Brianmai7 Brianmai7
If you're in High school, you should definitely try AP calculus,plus you don't have to take the AP credit, so your first year of uni will be easier since you already know what it is
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ProteinPowder ProteinPowder
I've been told that first year calculus is just a review of high school calculus, so yeah, take it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@AaronJ wrote
I personally do not take calculus because its way to difficult trying to figure out and memorizing all the formulas and calculations

And you're going into science?

Take Calculus. It will make your first year much easier to have previous knowledge.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chelseyskeoch chelseyskeoch
I don't know much about forensics science but I have heard that it is a good idea to have calculus for university in general because usually first year university calculus is similar to high school calculus so it will help to at least have heard the terms and information once before.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chelseyskeoch chelseyskeoch
I don't know much about forensics science but I have heard that it is a good idea to have calculus for university in general because usually first year university calculus is similar to high school calculus so it will help to at least have heard the terms and information once before.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@chelseyskeoch wrote

This is in line with what I've heard. If you don't do so great in high school, then you'll probably do better seeing it for a second time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Aplinee Aplinee
Yes! Definitely take AP or just calculus if your in highschool, so first year university math should be review.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is it really worth it to take calculus in high school even if i fail?
I do have more credit than I need at the moment and an empty block next semester, but I don't want to take calculus if I'm not going to be able to handle it
Especially if universities and such dislike seeing non-passing grades ><
I don't know if i will pass, because I took math 12 as a summer course and have forgotten it all by now. It is somewhat of a prerequisite for calculus, is it not?
Maybe it's completely unrelated =p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I spoke to my school's calculus teacher last week and she said that Calculus 12 had little to do with Math 12. There was some overlap, but it certainly wasn't a prerequisite.

However, if you can't do Math 12, there's no chance you'd be able to do Calculus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of V21Jays V21Jays
Just take it in high school anyway. It'll be an easy A in university when you do it for the second time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nahal Nahal
YES, take calculus because university questions are usually presented in word problems and if you have no previous knowledge of the basics to answer these questions you will have to resort to memorization and in a test, its hard to morph your knowledge to help with each possible question that may arise.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nahal Nahal

@CLAMichelle wrote
Is it really worth it to take calculus in high school even if i fail?
I do have more credit than I need at the moment and an empty block next semester, but I don't want to take calculus if I'm not going to be able to handle it
Especially if universities and such dislike seeing non-passing grades ><
I don't know if i will pass, because I took math 12 as a summer course and have forgotten it all by now. It is somewhat of a prerequisite for calculus, is it not?
Maybe it's completely unrelated =p

If you did good in the logs and proofs units then calculus will be fine. It's about logical sequences and steps that you memorize and then apply in different orders.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of eritz eritz

@AaronJ wrote

Yes, you quite obviously didn't take calculus.
Or math, by the sounds of it.
Memorizing calculations? There's no such thing.
And calculus is all derivatives.

This is a shout out to everyone questioning calculus!
It's really not that bad :)
Trust me, I just finished the course at my Ontario high school and it was pretty easy, to be quite honest. Obviously this is coming from someone who has an affinity for math, but i'm assuming in the science forum everyone does :)
I recommend you take it, just for the sake of the subject. It's fascinating!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jbn046 jbn046
Calculus is a requisite for physics and chemistry courses in my university. I am taking a biology major however I still have to take chemistry and physics, where calculus is a requisite for my physics course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ashleymacedo ashleymacedo
If you are in forensics you are required to take calculus first year, well that is how it is at u of t mississauga. It's pretty difficult so I'd suggest you really try hard, study, do homework to understand or else you will fail the class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jameses Jameses
economics would be good
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of slinger7 slinger7

@tashaajones wrote
I'm a first year student taking Calculus, and it is sometimes a prerequisite or co-requisite to some courses. Specifically, I've noticed that we've begun using Calculus in Chemsitry. I'm not sure if it's necessary for Biology, since I haven't seen it there yet, but Physics is another Science that needs Calculus to be able to continue in it. Of course this varies from school to school, but I think it would mostly be the same at a majority of schools. Try talking to an Academic Advisor, maybe they can help you with decisions in your courses!

Have you noticed a large amount of Calculus in Chemistry? I'm really interested in taking Biochem or chemistry but calculus isn't exactly my strong point.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It all depends on the pre-requisites to the programs your applying to for after high school. If it's not needed to get into the program, and you won't be taking it university/college, I personally would not take it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of softbalkay softbalkay
My math teacher says the fail rate for university calculus is 40%. And that is after the final after tons of people drop it. If you are gonna take it in university you definitely should take it in high school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0