yconic - Can I get into Laurier [Please Reply]
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Can I get into Laurier [Please Reply]

A photo of universityapplier universityapplier
I have a 83.8 avg
i sent in an ABS, my teacher told me it was excellent, but I aint willing to get cocky off it.
I applied for laurier in the order

1. BBA
2. BA econ and acc

what are the odds of me getting in? I am willing to go to either program.
What do you guys believe the BA cutoff is? if you say 83, will my 83.8 with my ABS form be good enough for it?

THANKS GUYS
Was this helpful? Yes 0
25 replies

A photo of g93 g93
The cutoff for BBA is likely staying at 87, which means that your ABS would not be looked at unfortunately. If it does happen to drop after midterms (not likely, but possible) then your ABS would be considered and if it is found to be as good as you say it is, then you have a chance of getting an offer.

As for Honours Ec, I have heard that the cutoff will be 82. Even if it is 83, you will definitely receive an offer. They will not even need to review your ABS.

I hope that helps, and good luck :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote
The cutoff for BBA is likely staying at 87, which means that your ABS would not be looked at unfortunately. If it does happen to drop after midterms (not likely, but possible) then your ABS would be considered and if it is found to be as good as you say it is, then you have a chance of getting an offer.

As for Honours Ec, I have heard that the cutoff will be 82. Even if it is 83, you will definitely receive an offer. They will not even need to review your ABS.

Thank you for your post, those words were quite significant in my confidence.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of amhsirak amhsirak
Laurier enrolls a lot of students into it's BBA program. Bc you filled out the ABS form, I don't think you should lose all hope just yet. The fact is, many students opt to apply to Laurier BBA as a back-up, and when they get accepted into their preferable programs, they reject Laurier. I believe you still have the ability to get into the BBA program; however, I suspect that your offer will come very close to the deadline. Don't lose hope bud :colors:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@amhsirak wrote
Laurier enrolls a lot of students into it's BBA program. Bc you filled out the ABS form, I don't think you should lose all hope just yet. The fact is, many students opt to apply to Laurier BBA as a back-up, and when they get accepted into their preferable programs, they reject Laurier. I believe you still have the ability to get into the BBA program; however, I suspect that your offer will come very close to the deadline. Don't lose hope bud :colors:

I understand. Its funny though, I play lots of sports in good leagues and never lose confidence, but when it comes to acceptance in university, I simply fall on my behind. Thanks a lot dude, i appreciate your comment (I wish there was like a rep button like BodyBuilding.com)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SKing16 SKing16
Trust me, you don't have much to worry about. In fact, you have a good chance of getting accepted.

Firstly, the cutoff for Laurier certainly is not 87%, that's just absurd. I already know of students who have around 85% averages or sometimes lower, that have gotten into Laurier BBA.

Secondly, I knew of an individual that got into Laurier BBA with an 82 or 83 average WITHOUT even writing his ABS. He got the acceptance near the end of May though, so don't lose hope.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rohan Rohan

@SKing16 wrote
Trust me, you don't have much to worry about. In fact, you have a good chance of getting accepted.

Firstly, the cutoff for Laurier certainly is not 87%, that's just absurd. I already know of students who have around 85% averages or sometimes lower, that have gotten into Laurier BBA.

Secondly, I knew of an individual that got into Laurier BBA with an 82 or 83 average WITHOUT even writing his ABS. He got the acceptance near the end of May though, so don't lose hope.

Yes it is, I've spoken to Laurier reps about it. For BBA, anyway. It's 83 or so for the Econ program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@SKing16 wrote

Wrong. This has been confirmed by multiple Laurier reps. Those people that you know that you first mentioned are either:

1) Lying
or
2) More likely, don't know how to calculate their average properly (Laurier has a different system).

As for the latter, that person is definitely lying. Laurier DOES NOT consider people below the cutoff if they don't hand in an ABS. Either they were lying, or they got into Honours Ec and said they got into BBA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SKing16 SKing16

@johnnycanuck wrote

@SKing16 wrote

Wrong. This has been confirmed by multiple Laurier reps. Those people that you know that you first mentioned are either:

1) Lying
or
2) More likely, don't know how to calculate their average properly (Laurier has a different system).

As for the latter, that person is definitely lying. Laurier DOES NOT consider people below the cutoff if they don't hand in an ABS. Either they were lying, or they got into Honours Ec and said they got into BBA.

Yes, they were "DEFINITELY" lying since I know them personally and personally know that they go to Laurier for BBA as I see them on a regular basis. Although, my mistake, he actually had an average of 84. Nonetheless, he still made BBA, I don't need to argue about if he's lying or not and waste my time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@g93 wrote

+ 1

g93, your inbox is full
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@SKing16 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@SKing16 wrote

1) Lying
or

Yes, they were "DEFINITELY" lying since I know them personally and personally know that they go to Laurier for BBA as I see them on a regular basis. Although, my mistake, he actually had an average of 84. Nonetheless, he still made BBA, I don't need to argue about if he's lying or not and waste my time.

Johnny is correct, if applicants fall below the cutoff, they will not be considered unless their ABS is completed and handed in. You are receiving some false information from this person, or maybe some half-truths.

Or maybe their parents donated large sums of money to the school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@johnnycanuck wrote

@g93 wrote

+ 1

g93, your inbox is full

Cleared, and check your inbox.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK
I know people last year who got accepted with around 84, 85 averages. So as long as you filled out the abs, don't lose hope yet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@g93 wrote

+ 1

g93, your inbox is full

Cleared, and check your inbox.

-

@AZK wrote
I know people last year who got accepted with around 84, 85 averages. So as long as you filled out the abs, don't lose hope yet.

Key is: filled out the ABS
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bta1993 bta1993
does anyone know when the next round of acceptances goes out?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster

@bta1993 wrote
does anyone know when the next round of acceptances goes out?

After midterms (early-mid May). I'm so pumped/scared.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Same. I just wanna know if im gonna be in BBA or BA econ because my average is really close to the cutoff, and my ABS is pretty good.

for the record: the cutoff is not 87 it is 86 at the moment.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@bta1993 wrote
Same. I just wanna know if im gonna be in BBA or BA econ because my average is really close to the cutoff, and my ABS is pretty good.

It's definitely 87
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@thecookiemonster wrote

@bta1993 wrote

It's definitely 87

no, my friend got in with 86 in march and theres no way possible her average was 87
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@bta1993 wrote

@thecookiemonster wrote

@bta1993 wrote

It's definitely 87

no, my friend got in with 86 in march and theres no way possible her average was 87

They must have calculated it wrong. A LOT of people were, especially on this forum. I have talked to multiple Laurier reps and they said it is currently at 87, I wanted to know because I doubt I get 87 at midterms but may get an 83 or 84 which means my ABS is reviewed and the cutoff makes a big difference then.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
what is the ABs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@thecookiemonster wrote

@bta1993 wrote

@thecookiemonster wrote

@bta1993 wrote

It's definitely 87

They must have calculated it wrong. A LOT of people were, especially on this forum. I have talked to multiple Laurier reps and they said it is currently at 87, I wanted to know because I doubt I get 87 at midterms but may get an 83 or 84 which means my ABS is reviewed and the cutoff makes a big difference then.

how does laurier calculate your avg? dont they use top 6 gr 12 marks with pre req's included?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PaperPen PaperPen

@Jack555 wrote
what is the ABs?

ABS stands for Applicant Background Summary. It's an optional supplementary which you can fill out when applying for programs at Laurier. It doesn't hurt to fill it out, but it only applies to your first choice program at Laurier, and only helps if you're within 3% of the cut-off mark for that particular program. It's a long tedious thing, with references and essays.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@universityapplier wrote

@thecookiemonster wrote

@bta1993 wrote

@thecookiemonster wrote

@bta1993 wrote

It's definitely 87

how does laurier calculate your avg? dont they use top 6 gr 12 marks with pre req's included?

At least 3 Grade 12 U/M courses, and your best remaining 3 Grade 12 U/M or Grade 11 U/M courses. Prereqs weren't included. (this was for the "March" offers. The original "Dec/Jan/Feb" offers were all Grade 11, and the main offers (May) will be all Grade 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0