yconic - Can I get into waterloo computer science?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Can I get into waterloo computer science?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

WILL YOU GET INTO WATERLOO FOR CS?

I dunno. But there's way to many people asking if they will, without doing any research.

-If you can't do math, forget it.
-If your average is below 85, forget it.
-If you're lazy, forget it. You'll fail out even if you get accepted.

-If your average is above 85, you've got a shot. Extra-curricular really helps out here.
-If your average is above 90, you'll probably get in.
-OMG I haz a 70 in one of my classes! Oh well. It might be a bit harder to get in (esp. if your bad mark is math or English) but you've got a shot.

Anyway, no matter your qualifications, it can't hurt to apply. If you don't get in, so what. Another fine school might take you. If you do, well, that was your objective wasn't it?

If I haven't convinced you, go to the Student Life board. Damn near every thread is exactly what you want to ask.

http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=28155
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of blurX blurX

WILL YOU GET INTO WATERLOO FOR CS?

I dunno. But there's way to many people asking if they will, without doing any research.

-If you can't do math, forget it.
-If your average is below 85, forget it.
-If you're lazy, forget it. You'll fail out even if you get accepted.

-If your average is above 85, you've got a shot. Extra-curricular really helps out here.
-If your average is above 90, you'll probably get in.
-OMG I haz a 70 in one of my classes! Oh well. It might be a bit harder to get in (esp. if your bad mark is math or English) but you've got a shot.

Anyway, no matter your qualifications, it can't hurt to apply. If you don't get in, so what. Another fine school might take you. If you do, well, that was your objective wasn't it?

If I haven't convinced you, go to the Student Life board. Damn near every thread is exactly what you want to ask.

http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=28155
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of blurX blurX

@shirlx wrote
that didn't help.
you didn't mention AIF, EC or any contests at all.
I had legitimate excuses for a mark drop too.

What do you expecting me to say? Of course a complete filled AIF with some decent ECs helps.

I'm not the admission officer, how the hell do I know if you will get accepted or not?

All I know is that you have got a slim chance to get in since your average is on the bottom line. Sure you have some legitimate excuses...it's not my concern. Don't take yourself too seriously.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of waazup waazup
Hi, I know comp sci or any sciences is not a requirement for Comp Sci, but can I still get in if I have an avg of let's say, 90+? Does not taking comp sci or having any exp. in comp sci, but involved in EC's and a good average still get me a good spot? (I love math)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX

@shirlx wrote

whoa calm down, I know your not the admission officer and I know all the basics to the acceptances and such. I'm only on this forum to seek information that I do not previously know. I was hoping that ppl could give me some extra tips. I don't need you to tell me what everyone already knows.
Your tone is rather harsh.

Well, when someone took their time to reply this thread and you told him that doesn't help, how would you feel? Me being too harsh? lol.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of pepper pepper

@shirlx wrote

@blurX wrote

@shirlx wrote
that didn't help.

What do you expecting me to say? Of course a complete filled AIF with some decent ECs helps.

I'm not the admission officer, how the hell do I know if you will get accepted or not?

All I know is that you have got a slim chance to get in since your average is on the bottom line. Sure you have some legitimate excuses...it's not my concern. Don't take yourself too seriously.

whoa calm down, I know your not the admission officer and I know all the basics to the acceptances and such. I'm only on this forum to seek information that I do not previously know. I was hoping that ppl could give me some extra tips. I don't need you to tell me what I can get from a pamphlet.

What did you expect him to say. He can't tell you much more information then he already did, and even if he did tell you something else about how to boost your chances, how is that going to help, the last wave of acceptances starts in less than a week so anything you could do to help your chances is to late anyways. I doubt you will get in, many people with high 80 averages and higher math marks don't get in. This is a math program and you have a 70% in advanced functions which really hurts your chances, they don't care about your excuses they aren't going to let you in because they feel sorry for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of PaperPen PaperPen

@shirlx wrote

@pepper wrote

@shirlx wrote

@blurX wrote

@shirlx wrote
that didn't help.

whoa calm down, I know your not the admission officer and I know all the basics to the acceptances and such. I'm only on this forum to seek information that I do not previously know. I was hoping that ppl could give me some extra tips. I don't need you to tell me what I can get from a pamphlet.

What did you expect him to say. He can't tell you much more information then he already did, and even if he did tell you something else about how to boost your chances, how is that going to help, the last wave of acceptances starts in less than a week so anything you could do to help your chances is to late anyways. I doubt you will get in, many people with high 80 averages and higher math marks don't get in. This is a math program and you have a 70% in advanced functions which really hurts your chances, they don't care about your excuses they aren't going to let you in because they feel sorry for you.

Really?? People with high 80s and high math marks don't get in?? But their websites says individual selections in the mid-80s. isn't that a bit misleading?
But I heard that people with low 80s got into SE because of their AIF.

Individual selection being the key word there. Also, these mark ranges are often lower than what they actually accept. Waterloo CompSci isn't lacking applicants. They would want to choose the best ones.
The AIF can help your chances, provided you filled it out well.
I agree with Pepper, it's too late to really do anything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of pepper pepper

@waazup wrote
Hi, I know comp sci or any sciences is not a requirement for Comp Sci, but can I still get in if I have an avg of let's say, 90+? Does not taking comp sci or having any exp. in comp sci, but involved in EC's and a good average still get me a good spot? (I love math)

you will get in, even if you had computer science if it wasn't in your top 6 it wouldn't help you out anyways. They always start teaching the basics anyways. Have fun next year at waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@pepper wrote

@waazup wrote

you will get in, even if you had computer science if it wasn't in your top 6 it wouldn't help you out anyways. They always start teaching the basics anyways. Have fun next year at waterloo.

Thanks! That makes me feel much better. I'm not really into Comp sci, I'm a Finance guy. I was seeing HBA + Comp Sci DD opportunities at UWO. You telling me that they go over the basics anyway makes me feel much better. If I practice A LOT in summer (before year 1) and also give insane amounts of time during year 1, you think I can be on par with the other, experienced in programming kids? Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pepper pepper

@waazup wrote

@pepper wrote

@waazup wrote

Thanks! That makes me feel much better. I'm not really into Comp sci, I'm a Finance guy. I was seeing HBA + Comp Sci DD opportunities at UWO. You telling me that they go over the basics anyway makes me feel much better. If I practice A LOT in summer (before year 1) and also give insane amounts of time during year 1, you think I can be on par with the other, experienced in programming kids? Thanks.

ya I think so. I did computer science in grade 11 and 12 so it gives me a bit of an edge at the beginning when they teach the same stuff, but you will be learning just as you need it anyways. I like the idea they teach everything over again it helps me remember the stuff as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of iRamie iRamie
Pepper, grade 11 marks aren't that important to Waterloo right? But what if i jump from like a low 80 grade 11 average to a 90 average in grade 12, will they question that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pepper pepper

@iRamie wrote
Pepper, grade 11 marks aren't that important to Waterloo right? But what if i jump from like a low 80 grade 11 average to a 90 average in grade 12, will they question that?

No they won't question that. The only thing grade 11 marks are good for is early admission.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@blurX wrote

@shirlx wrote

whoa calm down, I know your not the admission officer and I know all the basics to the acceptances and such. I'm only on this forum to seek information that I do not previously know. I was hoping that ppl could give me some extra tips. I don't need you to tell me what everyone already knows.

Well, when someone took their time to reply this thread and you told him that doesn't help, how would you feel? Me being too harsh? lol.

LOL
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@iRamie wrote

Yeah, they just will (probably) wait for your second semester mid terms to give you an offer, which a lot of people on here qualify as a "late" offer. So exactly like a year from now..you may be getting your offer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted