yconic - Can I relax after 2nd semester midterm?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Can I relax after 2nd semester midterm?

A photo of gebraroest gebraroest
If I got accepted to the university and I accepted their offer; after they saw my 2nd semester mark, can I relax for the rest of the semester or can they still not accept me?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of NerdmobileDriver NerdmobileDriver
If you accept their offer by June 2, they can't refuse you a spot in the program, as long as you meet the conditions of the offer (usually the conditions are to get your OSSD by the end of June and to maintain a certain average). However, you may miss out on some scholarships if you drop your marks, but if you only care about acceptance, then you should be fine.

Edit: I'm assuming your talking about an Ontario uni? Also, it wouldn't hurt to double check what I just told you with a guidance counselor or something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gebraroest gebraroest
I want to go to Mcmaster, and I want to get the 90+ scholarship, say If I got accepted to the school for $1.2k entrance scholarship. My average then drops to 85 after the midterm, would my scholarship drop as well? I've heard from a representative that your scholarship can only go up after you get accepted, I don't quite remember because it was a few months ago
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NerdmobileDriver NerdmobileDriver
I'm not sure about specific scholarships b/c some are based on your marks at the time of acceptance while others are awarded based on your final marks. You should call McMaster and ask them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711
Usually scholarships have a condition attached to them too. As long as your marks don't drop below that cutoff, your scholarship shouldn't drop. Double check your offer, as it should say there, but if your still not sure definitely call and ask.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AimForTheStars AimForTheStars
I wouldn't relax because if you drop too much they can take back their offer
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Yes.. They gave you a scholarship based on the 90 average, you shouldn't be dropping 5%, that's way too much
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
Most schools say right under the entrance scholarship info on their site that they take your final average, so no, you can't just slack off.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of poeticallydemented poeticallydemented
I'm pretty sure that if they're giving you a scholarship for having a 90 average you have to maintain the average to keep the scholarship. The only school I know of that doesn't do this is uOttawa, where if they promised you $2000 for getting an 85 average and you drop to a 78 they still let you keep your 2k.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Work hard until the very end because you never know!
Also getting an extra thousand bucks is better than not getting it ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@gebraroest wrote
If I got accepted to the university and I accepted their offer; after they saw my 2nd semester mark, can I relax for the rest of the semester or can they still not accept me?

No. I would turn on panic mode and don't let anything slide or your transcript will be spoiled.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
btw, What do you mean by "relax"? Do you mean "relax" as in not go to anymore classes, write anymore tests/exams, do anymore assignment/projects, etc.? lol, you pbly mean not to try as hard, which is still risky, so no, don't relax.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
You can relax, but don't let your grades drop past a certain point or a school can take away your offer (even though you already accepted it)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ghana1994 ghana1994
It depends if your scholarship is conditional or not. If you have to get a certain minimum marks, then you shouldn't relax. If it's a fixed unconditional scholarship, then it doesn't really matter. But it also depends on the university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of A23C A23C
Relax, but do not take your courses too lightly or you may lose your entrance scholorship.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of joey4231 joey4231
I remember hearing at the presentation for Queens at the University Fair that if they offer you the 90 average admission scholarship ($1000) and your final average is less than a 90, then they don't take it away.
Was this helpful? Yes 0