yconic - can someone compare rotman vs. waterloo afm?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

can someone compare rotman vs. waterloo afm?

A photo of jtsai jtsai
Hi, I got accepted to waterloo AFM, and UTSC Co-op, and I am awaiting a response from Rotman
Commerce. Can someone help me rank these three programs? Rotman has a BComm, utsc has a BBA, and
Waterloo has a BAFM. I want to become a CA. Would my decisions effect my career path?
Also, which program is better, and which would you choose and why?

Lastly, how would you rank them?

I know the co-op at waterloo is great, though its not the same pool as the pa-line.
Does co-op or looking for your own job make that big of a difference?

Is the co-op worth it in terms of choosing one program over he next?

Iknow its a lot of questions, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
PA or FM?

And the degree (BAFM, BCOM, BBA) will not matter.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jtsai jtsai
I got into FM. But i want to know, which program is better, if money and transportation is not an issue.

Waterloo AFM Co-Op vs. Rotman Commerce vs. UTSC Co-Op Management?

I want to be a Chartered Accountant.
Can someone help me rank these three programs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jtsai wrote
I got into FM. But i want to know, which program is better, if money and transportation is not an issue.

Waterloo AFM Co-Op vs. Rotman Commerce vs. UTSC Co-Op Management?

I want to be a Chartered Accountant.
Can someone help me rank these three programs?

AFM and Rotman are pretty close, with UTSC lagging behind a little IMO. Comes down to school environment I would think: which schools do you see yourself preforming better at?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Slowwy Slowwy
I would prefer to go to Rotman over AFM-FM.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Junction Junction

@jtsai wrote
Hi, I got accepted to waterloo AFM, and UTSC Co-op, and I am awaiting a response from Rotman
Commerce. Can someone help me rank these three programs? Rotman has a BComm, utsc has a BBA, and
Waterloo has a BAFM. I want to become a CA. Would my decisions effect my career path?

I know the co-op at waterloo is great, though its not the same pool as the pa-line.

Thanks!

If you are 100% sure you want to become a CA, I would say UTSC Co-op. The Big 4 hires a modest amount of students for Co-op (the most being from UW) and you end up with a BBA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Slowwy Slowwy

@Junction wrote

@jtsai wrote

Thanks!

If you are 100% sure you want to become a CA, I would say UTSC Co-op. The Big 4 hires a modest amount of students for Co-op (the most being from UW) and you end up with a BBA.

First of all, a BBA and BComm is the same thing. THey're both business degrees. Secondly, i believe that if THe Big 4 hires a modest number from UTSC, then they would hire even more or equivalent at Rotman?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Junction Junction
A BBA/BComm is the same thing, but a BAFM is on its own.

The stats I'm providing is skewed as I only know the number of students hired for CO-OP positions at the Big 4. So as Rotmas Commerce doesn't have a Co-op program, I am in no position to give any comparison in regards to that matter.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jtsai jtsai
Thanks to everyone who replied above!

One question though, If I want to become a CA, after I finish my BComm at Rotman Commerce, how much more work would I have to do compared to a BAFM at Waterloo?

I know that AFM lets you skip 2 essential exams required to become a CA. While Rotman doesn't.

Are there any other noticeable differences?

Also, if i ever decide that i want to do something else, and not get my CA. Is my BAFM useless compared to a BBA?

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Slowwy Slowwy

@jtsai wrote

One question though, If I want to become a CA, after I finish my BComm at Rotman Commerce, how much more work would I have to do compared to a BAFM at Waterloo?

I know that AFM lets you skip 2 essential exams required to become a CA. While Rotman doesn't.

Also, if i ever decide that i want to do something else, and not get my CA. Is my BAFM useless compared to a BBA?

Thanks!

It's pretty much the same if you go for a CA. The 2 exams you skip to become a CA is relatively easy compared to the final one.Since BAFM doesn't guarantee you CATO jobs, it would take you the same amount of time to become a CA if ur at Rotman. The only difference between Rotman and AFM is that AFM has coop and Rotman doesn't. Other than that, i dunno any differences between them.

I believe BAFM is still a business degree. Some people do go into finance and other fields, but BComm/BBA are more common business degrees that are more recognized by employers as opposed to BAFM which is more accounting and finance focused?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheGoat TheGoat
My cousin graduated from UTSC and she received a job offer from each of the big four. She is a chartered accountant.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Slowwy wrote

@jtsai wrote

Thanks!

It's pretty much the same if you go for a CA. The 2 exams you skip to become a CA is relatively easy compared to the final one.Since BAFM doesn't guarantee you CATO jobs, it would take you the same amount of time to become a CA if ur at Rotman. The only difference between Rotman and AFM is that AFM has coop and Rotman doesn't. Other than that, i dunno any differences between them.

I believe BAFM is still a business degree. Some people do go into finance and other fields, but BComm/BBA are more common business degrees that are more recognized by employers as opposed to BAFM which is more accounting and finance focused?

AFM might not guarantee you CATO jobs, but there is a very high chance of you getting CATO jobs when compared to other programs (and same for Big 4 jobs). You must complete the MAcc to be exempt from the CKE and SOA, which may be considerably easier than the UFE but if you don't have to write them it's just much less hassle. Also, you need to be working at a CATO in order to write the UFE, so you have a better chance at UW than Rotman.

Employers know that Waterloo is one of, if not the most reputable/prestigious program for accounting, it is similar to how Ivey graduates only have an HBA, yet they do alright for themselves.
Was this helpful? Yes 0