yconic - Can someone please help me with Data Management?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Can someone please help me with Data Management?

A photo of cocoappleli cocoappleli
I'm currently taking Data Management, and getting an 87%, which to me is really bad, especially because last year in grade 11, I took Advanced Functions and got 98%. It doesn't make sense how I got such a high mark in that class but getting such a low mark right now in Data Management. I understand everything, mostly is because sometimes I make some careless errors, and that sometimes I think a way to do a question is logical, but in the end I get it wrong...

I want to drop it, but I know the school won't let me.

Right now, I'm worried about this mark, and I don't know if I can get at least a 90% in it by the end of January...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Don't worry; one mark in the high 80s won't kill you. The top 6 calculation acts a cushion for situations like this. (:

Besides, you don't need data that badly. You're taking calc, right?

Plus, data and advanced functions are very, very different. Data relies a lot more on logic. From my experience, you either get it or you don't, whereas advanced functions can be learned.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
Don't worry; one mark in the high 80s won't kill you. The top 6 calculation acts a cushion for situations like this. (:

Besides, you don't need data that badly. You're taking calc, right?

Plus, data and advanced functions are very, very different. Data relies a lot more on logic. From my experience, you either get it or you don't, whereas advanced functions can be learned.

Then what should I do in order to improve it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
With data, the only way to get better is to solve as many questions as you need to understand it well.

The chapters covered in data are also pretty different. For us, we did permutations and combinations in the beginning so most people's marks were low before midterm. All I can say is practice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
With data, the only way to get better is to solve as many questions as you need to understand it well.

The chapters covered in data are also pretty different. For us, we did permutations and combinations in the beginning so most people's marks were low before midterm. All I can say is practice.

So all I can do is to practice?
We did those first, too. Now we're learning about statistics, indexes, etc... Don't know how that will go...Are the other things in Data Management different than permutations and combinations? Are they easier to get a high mark?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Statistics and indexes and graphs are the easiest unit. Later on you'll talk about probability, expected value, variance, standard deviation, all that fun stuff. You might find it easier since it's less logic and more of plugging into a formula. It's easy once you know which formula to use.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
Statistics and indexes and graphs are the easiest unit. Later on you'll talk about probability, expected value, variance, standard deviation, all that fun stuff. You might find it easier since it's less logic and more of plugging into a formula. It's easy once you know which formula to use.

Thanks.
Do you have any suggestions on how I could get a better mark of at least 95% in it other than practicing?
May I ask what is variance and standard deviation?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tukr tukr
Does your teacher do the end-of-term culminating research project? It's pretty common in a lot of schools.... Me and my friend dummied that project and that brought up both of our data marks (I ended with a 92). The statistics units are going to be the easiest ones, probability is the unit that wrecks most people/permutations and combinations sometimes too. Make sure you understand permutations and combinations WELL, because then it makes probability easier, which makes probability distributions easier.

When I took it I didn't really do any work, and I still got a decent mark (class average was like 68 though). Just make sure you know what you're doing when you try a couple of practice problems - if you don't, do your homework. My bad homework habits followed me into advanced functions which I got an 88 in because you actually have to spend time on and learn all of the functions as opposed to data which usually I could just scrape by with some cram time and logic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@tukr wrote
Does your teacher do the end-of-term culminating research project? It's pretty common in a lot of schools.... Me and my friend dummied that project and that brought up both of our data marks (I ended with a 92). The statistics units are going to be the easiest ones, probability is the unit that wrecks most people/permutations and combinations sometimes too. Make sure you understand permutations and combinations WELL, because then it makes probability easier, which makes probability distributions easier.

When I took it I didn't really do any work, and I still got a decent mark (class average was like 68 though). Just make sure you know what you're doing when you try a couple of practice problems - if you don't, do your homework. My bad homework habits followed me into advanced functions which I got an 88 in because you actually have to spend time on and learn all of the functions as opposed to data which usually I could just scrape by with some cram time and logic.

We're learning statistics right now. The thing is that our teacher makes us go to E-STAT to look at things such as CPI. He also wants us to look at stock markets, etc, and says there are going to be test questions on them. I really don't get how he's going to ask questions on what we did on the computer...
For statistics and indexes, is it more similar to Advanced Functions, where we just need to know how to do stuff, and not a lot of logic are involved?

I do homework, and I get them. Maybe just because sometimes I make a careless mistake on it. Also probably because on the test he put a really hard question on it, which no one got correct.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tukr tukr
I thought one and two-variable statistics were pretty mindless units... We learned like standard deviation, r-values, lines of best fit, which basically you need to know how to plug numbers into formulas. Understand the formulas... its very tedious math but sooo easy. Then there's just the stuff about correlations and variables. Another thing that will get tricky are matrices, probably within the probability unit though...
If you want a 95 though, you'll probably have to start getting those hard questions that no one else gets right :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@tukr wrote
I thought one and two-variable statistics were pretty mindless units... We learned like standard deviation, r-values, lines of best fit, which basically you need to know how to plug numbers into formulas. Understand the formulas... its very tedious math but sooo easy. Then there's just the stuff about correlations and variables. Another thing that will get tricky are matrices, probably within the probability unit though...
If you want a 95 though, you'll probably have to start getting those hard questions that no one else gets right :P

so do you think that I will have chance to get 90's on the next few tests?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz

@cocoappleli wrote

@tukr wrote

Yes. Data is a relatively simple course, you should be able to do well at it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Nick0rz wrote

@cocoappleli wrote

@tukr wrote

Yes. Data is a relatively simple course, you should be able to do well at it.

I'm really not confident in it anymore... After receiving only high 80's on the permutations and combinations tests...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SBStudent SBStudent
Permutations and Combinations were the topics where I received my lowest grades. I found that after those sections, I did really well in the other topics, including probability (which I found the hardest of them all, personally). Those questions are hard to answer, because sometimes there is difficulty in understanding the logic behind them and it's possible to interpret the question in more than one way. I just did every question that I possibly could and asked a lot of questions. I think if you're holding a high 80 so far that you'll be able to maintain it or bring it up to a low 90 by the time the term ends.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SBStudent wrote
Permutations and Combinations were the topics where I received my lowest grades. I found that after those sections, I did really well in the other topics, including probability (which I found the hardest of them all, personally). Those questions are hard to answer, because sometimes there is difficulty in understanding the logic behind them and it's possible to interpret the question in more than one way. I just did every question that I possibly could and asked a lot of questions. I think if you're holding a high 80 so far that you'll be able to maintain it or bring it up to a low 90 by the time the term ends.

So basically all the other units are easier?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SBStudent SBStudent
I found them easier, yes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0