yconic - Can u guys post ur avg and EC's if u got accepted/denied for UT or UWcomputer science?????
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Can u guys post ur avg and EC's if u got accepted/denied for UT or UWcomputer science?????

A photo of JohnC JohnC
Basically I'll be applying for computer science/software engineering at UT and UW this year.So can u guys share ur avg and EC's if u got accepted/denied. So we can make a chart or summarize some tips or info to those who will be applying for the same program this year. thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of phylloconcrete phylloconcrete
Got in with 90.66% average to uw cs co-op. Most of my curriculars were drama related, as well as reach for the top and fed-prov. I also had a well-written supplementary.

I got into utsg cs as well after first semester, with no application and ~88 average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of premachb premachb
I hope by UT you mean UofT right (University of Toronto).

I'm going there next year for Comp sci, got in with an average of 83.8
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of arviny arviny
I'm sure you know this but UofT has no software engineering program, just computer science or electrical and computer engineering. They have the software engineering courses except your degree won't say software engineer =P

I got early acceptance in February for UW CS Co-op with 86% average in 5 grade 12 credits [physics, chem, adv fncs, compsci, sociology] all daytime regular school. UW SE, UofT ECE, and UofT CompSci got in with the same 86% average during march break. Funny thing is my final top6 average is 90% GG....

I might one of those exceptions, I've seen a friend with an 88% average get rejected for ECE and we went to the same school and a few other friends with about 86 averages and around there were all rejected. In my school for UW CS people with bellow 82 averages were rejected and bellow 85 in math and for UofT CS people with bellow 80 averages all got rejected. For UW SE it was variable, some 86s and 88s were rejected.

Best tip would be to accumulate an average of >90% and do very well in the prerequisite subjects >90%. Also ECs and essays can save your but! I really think that's what got me into engineering at UofT, I had a really STRONG essay and extracurricular with lots of leadership [as in I didn't just join a bunch of random school clubs] that compensated for my crappy average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kbs Kbs
I got accepted into Waterloo Computer Science co-op with a 90% average. My EC's were Robotics club, some volunteering, and a summer part-time job.

I got an alternate offer for Waterloo's Software Engineering though. I had an 89% average (it's different than my previous average because they required different courses and some of the SE ones didn't make it into my CS top 6). Same EC's though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
I got Waterloo CS co-op (alternative from DD) with an 88% (this was last year). My Ec's were DECA VP, DECA internationals x2 (including a top 10 finish), DECA provincials x2 (including a #1 finish), head coach of a baseball team for 4 years, volunteer swim instructor, working as a lifeguard/swim instructor, Finance Director for a Relay for life fundraiser. Thats all i can remember.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of arviny arviny

@noxx98 wrote
I got Waterloo CS co-op (alternative from DD) with an 88% (this was last year). My Ec's were DECA VP, DECA internationals x2 (including a top 10 finish), DECA provincials x2 (including a #1 finish), head coach of a baseball team for 4 years, volunteer swim instructor, working as a lifeguard/swim instructor, Finance Director for a Relay for life fundraiser. Thats all i can remember.

Whoa those are some good ECs D: surprised that you didn't get in! And I did the volunteering as a swimming instructor as well and worked as a LG/swim instructor during the school year and summer :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@arviny wrote

@noxx98 wrote

Whoa those are some good ECs D: surprised that you didn't get in! And I did the volunteering as a swimming instructor as well and worked as a LG/swim instructor during the school year and summer :P

my marks werent good enough, simply enough.
started volunteering till i got a job offer, worked during the school year for about 7 hrs a week or so, then 40 hrs during the summer
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JohnC JohnC
thanks for all the reply,do anyone of you know if waterloo and UofT have bias on nigh school/private school/summer school course?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Pretty sure Waterloo deducts marks off if you took courses in summer/night/private school. Its only explicitly stated for their Faculty of Math, but SE and CS are classified under it, as well as engineering, I think.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
UofT CS at 85% overall and 94 in Computer
Was this helpful? Yes 0