yconic - Can universities still look at FINAL marks?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Can universities still look at FINAL marks?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
No. It's too bad your advanced functions teacher prevented you from achieving a high mark in that course, obviously with an easier teacher you would have actually been able to learn the material
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Powerfoe Powerfoe
No. It's too bad your advanced functions teacher prevented you from achieving a high mark in that course, obviously with an easier teacher you would have actually been able to learn the material
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bscit Bscit
You cant blame your mark on your teacher. I dont know any school that does mark inflations either (usually its teachers that do that individually).
But you Math teacher was apparently hard but he was likely a reasonable person, it might have been your fault. Maybe if you were not lazy, youd be able to answer any question. If your teacher was just a jackass, tough luck, you will get profs like that in Uni so what he did is he prepared you for uni. Man if only i got a teacher like that.

To your question, you can always repeat the class or take summer school to avoid that teacher. Some universities however, look down on repeat classes and classes outside of regular school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of cometmars cometmars
Your final marks come in the end of June.
Universities tend to give out their offers in May (last week of May - latest).
The final day for you to accept your offers is on June 1st.

Universities will be able to see your final marks. However, that will be more for scholarships etc. Most universities accept you based on your midterm.

In short, your final marks will not help you GET any offers. However, your final marks will help you KEEP your offers.

May I ask which university you have applied to and for which program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheCatherine TheCatherine

@mathisfun123 wrote
To start off with, I just want to say that my school is extremely hard (no mark inflation at all), and that all our math teachers tell us that universities add some percentage to our average based on our school.

I kind of goofed off this year (I had no idea where I wanted to go until recently, so I didn't have a need for high marks). So the following are my marks for final semester one and midterm semester two.

ENG4U 87
MCV4U 88
MDM4U 96
MHF4U 76
SBI4U 85
SCH4U 87
SPH4U 85
Top 6: 86.5

But I've talked to some teachers, and did some math, and if I were to start working harder and getting the better marks, the following marks are possible:

ENG4U 92
MCV4U 93
MDM4U 98
MHF4U 76
SBI4U 91
SCH4U 87
SPH4U 85
Top 6: 88.5

I was wondering if I can still get an offer after final report card marks if I get the marks listed above. Thanks!

And is there anything I can do to take care of that Advanced Functions mark or is it too late (the hardest teacher did Advanced Functions last semester, and 76 was one of the highest marks).

i have the same functions grade. i was able to justify it on my AIF (grade was impacted by insane extra-curriculars), and i managed to pull off a 96 in calculus. and i have a IB predicted grade of 7/7.
my point is, you cant change your functions grade, but you can do REALLY well in your other math courses and make your 76 seem like a fluke :)

AND, waterloo does look at individual math courses and your top 6 average. BUT they also look at the average made by the required classes. try to make that average 85+ too :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted