yconic - Can Universities take back scholarships?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Can Universities take back scholarships?

A photo of Finance27 Finance27
First of all, do you get all entrance scholarships with your offer of admission?

If yes, let's say I get accepted at midterm, and qualify for the 95%+ scholarship (which they would also offer me).

Then if by the end of the semester my average slips to something like 94.5%, will they take the scholarship back and offer me the 90-94.9% one instead? What if it slips to something lower, like a 93, do they have the ability to take it back? Or is it something like once you get it, you get it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of aeryn aeryn
You get an offer for an entrance scholarship with your offer of admission. If your average falls, they will offer you the one based on your final average, so the 90-94.9 one (or at least, this is the case with York. I hear some schools only change the scholarship amount if you bump it up). I remember that they sent the final confirmed scholarship offer after final high school marks were out, so it wasn't based on my admission average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tyop Tyop
I'm fairly certain that the admission scholarships offered to all high school applicants are calculated during the summer, thus admission scholarships are tentative assuming you are able to maintain your grades for the scholarship bracket you are in. i.e. If I currently qualify for the 95%+ scholarship bracket and my grades fall to say 93%, I will than be demoted to the 90-94.9% scholarship bracket.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GWrap GWrap
Universities can do whatever they want. They have no rules. But good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Just a tidbit someone else mentioned - Waterloo apparently does not decrease the amount of your scholarship if your final average lowers a bit from your admission average; they will, however, increase the amount of your scholarship if you increase your final average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Totally depends on the school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0