yconic - Can your grade 11 marks play a decision in your admission to Waterloo
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Can your grade 11 marks play a decision in your admission to Waterloo

A photo of LWilliams LWilliams
Most universities said that your grade 11 marks can't really hurt your admission. But is this the same for Waterloo?
I know that your grade 11 marks may be looked at if you apply to AFM but thats only for your invitation to write the afmaa test.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of truongalong truongalong
for early admittance they will. my friend got early acceptance. This is only for some faculties @ waterloo. she applied for life sciences.

for hurting your application, I don't think it would be a huge factor unless your grade 11 marks were REALLY poor.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of missblair missblair
They say that they will only look at your grade 11 marks when giving out AFMAA invites (so if you have English second semester, they will look at your your grade 11 English mark). I emailed one of the recruiters and she said that the AFM Admission Committee won't be getting our semester 1 midterms until February (so it's pretty late and we shouldn't expect them to see our semester 2 midterms before the AFMAA invites are sent).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@missblair wrote
They say that they will only look at your grade 11 marks when giving out AFMAA invites (so if you have English second semester, they will look at your your grade 11 English mark). I emailed one of the recruiters and she said that the AFM Admission Committee won't be getting our semester 1 midterms until February (so it's pretty late and we shouldn't expect them to see our semester 2 midterms before the AFMAA invites are sent).

Semister 1 midterms? Don't you mean finals?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of missblair missblair

@LWilliams wrote

@missblair wrote

I meant midterms but I will copy and paste what the recruiter replied back saying:

AFMAA invitations are based on the overall average that you have from your 6 courses. Within these 6 courses, we are looking for a grade 12 English, Advanced Functions and Calculus and Vectors mark. If we have not received marks for these courses at the time when AFMAA invites are sent, the AFM Admission Committee will be looking at your grade 11 marks for these courses (i.e. If you are not taking English until second semester and will not have a mark for us when invites are sent, then we will look at your grade 11 English mark). Please note that the AFM Admission Committee may not have received the marks that you have (i.e. we have midterm marks from first semester in February).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of living4themoment living4themoment
So as a direct answer to your original question, your grade 11 marks are not necessarily part of the decision of your acceptance, only in the decision of WHEN you will get your acceptance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Blistex Blistex
YES GRADE 11 MARKS DO MATTER FOR THIS PROGRAM! Well atleast to get your invitation to write it. If you have crappy grade 11 marks, you shouldn't be getting an invitation because they WILL be using those marks to determine your eligibility to write the test.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of reddy16 reddy16
I'd say grade 11 marks matter, but not as much as grade 12 marks.
(Wish I knew that in grade 11)
I know McGill says they my look at grade 11 marks to make a better decision.
But Grade 11 marks I find are the most important for scholarships usually outside of the university ones.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@missblair wrote

@LWilliams wrote

@missblair wrote

I meant midterms but I will copy and paste what the recruiter replied back saying:

AFMAA invitations are based on the overall average that you have from your 6 courses. Within these 6 courses, we are looking for a grade 12 English, Advanced Functions and Calculus and Vectors mark. If we have not received marks for these courses at the time when AFMAA invites are sent, the AFM Admission Committee will be looking at your grade 11 marks for these courses (i.e. If you are not taking English until second semester and will not have a mark for us when invites are sent, then we will look at your grade 11 English mark). Please note that the AFM Admission Committee may not have received the marks that you have (i.e. we have midterm marks from first semester in February).

That sounds about right. Would I get an invitation if I have an 80 in grade 11 english? 91 overall average in grade 12 first semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Blistex wrote
YES GRADE 11 MARKS DO MATTER FOR THIS PROGRAM! Well atleast to get your invitation to write it. If you have crappy grade 11 marks, you shouldn't be getting an invitation because they WILL be using those marks to determine your eligibility to write the test.

+ 1

Grade 11 and Grade 12 get invitation to AFMAAA

Grade 12 only for actual decision on acceptance
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of eedensp eedensp
I got early acceptance to waterloo based on my grade 11 marks, the school uses your prior marks to predict how successful you'll be in grade 12, so if you show improvement or high marks across the board they'll consider you :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0