yconic - Canadian kids versus American kids
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Canadian kids versus American kids

A photo of tobywashere tobywashere
Why is SA so soft compared to College Confidential?
I'm a Canadian kid who applied to American Ivies. I didn't get in lol. But I did notice that kids in the States are way more hardcore than kids here. College Confidential is the American equivalent of SA, and reading the threads makes me depressed about not being an inhuman overachiever.
Here's a really intense thread:
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/yale-university/1043318-official-yale-class-2015-scea-results-thread.html
Here's another one. You can spot me in it:
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-pennsylvania/1102778-university-pennsylvania-class-2015-official-rd-decisions-thread-3.html
Do Canadian kids achieve less than American kids? Why doesn't Canada have something as intense as the Ivy League?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
38 replies

A photo of SaugasFinest SaugasFinest
The better question is, why do they have a lower standard of learning? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Canada has higher standards of leaning amirite? It just doesn't add up that their Uni's seem to be harder than ours tho..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tobywashere tobywashere
I should rename this thread: Canadian kids versus American kids.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Canada probably does have a slightly higher standard of learning, but there's much more variability in the States. The SAT, private universities, and sheer greater numbers mean that some universities there are going to be super-competitive, while others will just require you to be able to wipe the drool off your face. I also find that Canadians are just culturally more modest than Americans.

Canadian universities just really aren't that competitive. Even McGill, arguably the most competitive university in Canada, is not unattainable. I know a few people from my graduating class who were accepted to McGill and they were not necessarily the top students in my class, and they certainly weren't the best students in my school board. And, really, all it takes to get into McGill is some hard work in your grade 12 year. Can't say the same for getting into Ivy League schools. More competition = less decency.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
Canada probably does have a slightly higher standard of learning, but there's much more variability in the States. The SAT, private universities, and sheer greater numbers mean that some universities there are going to be super-competitive, while others will just require you to be able to wipe the drool off your face. I also find that Canadians are just culturally more modest than Americans.

Canadian universities just really aren't that competitive. Even McGill, arguably the most competitive university in Canada, is not unattainable. I know a few people from my graduating class who were accepted to McGill and they were not necessarily the top students in my class, and they certainly weren't the best students in my school board. And, really, all it takes to get into McGill is some hard work in your grade 12 year. Can't say the same for getting into Ivy League schools. More competition = less decency.

This.

No school in Canada will turn you away with a 99 average. The Ivies? Not so much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I think Matt's already covered most of it.

The biggest difference is private vs public education. Most of the top universities in the US are private, so they have ridiculous amounts of funding and can afford to be way more selective. While in Canada, virtually every institution is public and reasonably accessible.

There's also just a general atmosphere in the US that whatever university you attend will determine whether or not you're successful in life, whereas here most of us here are pretty reserved about the issue of prestige. Admission to Ivies and schools of a similar caliber is fiercely competitive because of SATs and ECs. I wouldn't mind seeing Canadian universities increase their standards, but it's not that easy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uncharted1111 uncharted1111
LOL CollegeConfidential. Best site to go to if you ever want to lose any of your self-confidence or if you want to stress yourself out until you explode.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
Does anyone know if this is the case with applying to graduate schools? I can't see graduate schools caring about what extracurriculars you've done, for instance. In other words, does the gulf of achievement between Canadian and American students level out after their undergraduate years simply because of the graduate admissions system?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
For grad school they care much more about research experience and publications. ECs do play a role though, they ask for a full resume.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Also, the GRE is a common requirement for American grad schools, while it is an uncommon requirement for Canadian grad schools.

So, yeah, it's basically the same sort of process as applying to a prestigious American school for undergrad. GPA and GRE score matter to the school; your full resume matters to the supervisor you'd like to study under. If you have lots of relevant research experience and some good publications, you will likely be accepted so long as you meet the minimum GPA and GRE requirements. That's where the major difference between undergrad admissions and grad admissions lies: you can get in by just meeting the minimum requirements (though, obviously, other parts of your application would have to be stellar).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Grad admissions is also different because you need a supervisor. So if you can convince a professor that they want to supervise you, you will get into the school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ You still have to meet the minimum requirements set by the school, though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Obviously. For most Canadian grad schools you only need a 3.0 GPA, however most profs want someone with a higher GPA than that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoctorLawyerDentist DoctorLawyerDentist
One word: Population

That, and the fact that not succeeding in academia in the states means you'll either be poor and hated as an ignorant american or rich and hated for being a greedy american by the rest of the world.

Also, CollegeConfidential is like taking the top 0.1 percentile of try-hards, internationally, and grouping them together to motivate them to try even harder. What did you expect to find?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FloraandFauna FloraandFauna
Wow. That CollegeConfidential website is really depressing... That one guy who posted him getting accepted in the second thread, he made it seem as though if American kids get accepted into a Canadian school, it's a joke. Like they think that Canadians are stupid because they got accepted so easily. I dunno... I think I'd rather live without the whole Ivy League system. Canada's standards are just fine by me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
Deep down we all want to say that we're a Stanford or MIT grad. Whether that is worth the $50,000 tuition, I leave it to you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@LRooke wrote
Deep down we all want to say that we're a Stanford or MIT grad. Whether that is worth the $50,000 tuition, I leave it to you.

Better plan: do your undergrad in Canada for cheap, go to MIT/Stanford/whatever for grad school with funding. Win-win
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kelseyklipp kelseyklipp
Canada has a higher standard of learning however the U.S. has some of the top Universities in the world
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz

@uncharted1111 wrote
LOL CollegeConfidential. Best site to go to if you ever want to lose any of your self-confidence or if you want to stress yourself out until you explode.

Anyone here ever visit physicsforums? It's quite supportive, especially for students who are more interested in actually learning (and understanding to a very deep extent) the material presented in their courses as opposed to just getting high marks and a lot of extra-cirriculars.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cheers123 cheers123

@tobywashere wrote
Why is SA so soft compared to College Confidential?
I'm a Canadian kid who applied to American Ivies. I didn't get in lol. But I did notice that kids in the States are way more hardcore than kids here. College Confidential is the American equivalent of SA, and reading the threads makes me depressed about not being an inhuman overachiever.
Here's a really intense thread:
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/yale-university/1043318-official-yale-class-2015-scea-results-thread.html
Here's another one. You can spot me in it:
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-pennsylvania/1102778-university-pennsylvania-class-2015-official-rd-decisions-thread-3.html
Do Canadian kids achieve less than American kids? Why doesn't Canada have something as intense as the Ivy League?

U r right!
I checked it out.and yes, we r a bit soft.
I have noticed that the conversation is more for entertainment in this site.
But hey, cheer up a bit, Canada's not that bad.
u of t, Waterloo and MCgill are great.
I dunno about the achieving less thing but cummon,
Canada is a great place!:)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK

@cheers123 wrote

U r right!
I checked it out.and yes, we r a bit soft.
I have noticed that the conversation is more for entertainment in this site.
But hey, cheer up a bit, Canada's not that bad.
u of t, Waterloo and MCgill are great.
I dunno about the achieving less thing but cummon,
Canada is a great place!:)

Great post as an advert for a good education system ha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of gureenrangi gureenrangi
i would have to say im a fan of canada and in any kind of debate i will defend canada. America straight up is just another country who cant control their selves and maintain properly even though they got higher opportunites in universitites, marketing and etc. But for me to think , i would choose canada to do anything related with me instead of going to america. Canada to me is defined as a clean, protective, inspirable, responsible, countable and every other name i can think of. America is a job lossing country, no good health care, a mess and etc. This is why i love canada and always will. In fact i got lots of reasons to debate on this topic but just got no time right now but i hope this will do. :colors:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK

@gureenrangi wrote
America straight up is just another country who cant control their selves and maintain properly even though they got higher opportunites in universitites, marketing and etc.

what?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted