yconic - Can't decide, UBC or Queens?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Can't decide, UBC or Queens?

A photo of sarrakii sarrakii
I have no idea which one to pick, I live in vancouver so everyone I know is going to UBC but i hear Queens is great and homey, but on the other hand I hear Queens is snobby and very unmulitcultural. But on the other hand, UBC is fromm what I've seen mostly asians.I also really dislike the UBC campus and dorms but is it worth the cost of the trips back home if I got to Queens? I'm just really confused :/ anyone want to convince me to go to one of these school or give me some advice? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of sarrakii sarrakii
haha nothings wrong with asian people, i'm asian , just want to go to a place where there's a bit of everything :cheese: i know for both winter and fall term together rez at queens is max 12,000. I live too far from UBC to commute there so I'd also be staying in res there, but there trip back home is true thats expensive :/

in terms of social scene and spirit and university feeling like home and being friendly which one has a better reputation for those things?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@sarrakii wrote
haha nothings wrong with asian people, i'm asian , just want to go to a place where there's a bit of everything :cheese: i know for both winter and fall term together rez at queens is max 12,000. I live too far from UBC to commute there so I'd also be staying in res there, but there trip back home is true thats expensive :/

in terms of social scene and spirit and university feeling like home and being friendly which one has a better reputation for those things?

I'm on the exact same boat as you are. I posted a few similar threads about UBC vs. Queen's, but I'm from Ontario. I think I'll be going to Queen's because there are more honours programs available that UBC lacks and it's also cheaper than going to UBC.

In terms of school spirit and social scene, I've heard that Queen's excels at both because they have a lot of traditions such as the Oil Thigh and Grease Pole and also that 90% of students live in residence. It is true that it is majority Caucasian but I've seen Asian students there as well, being Asian myself. I don't think they are very snobby or unfriendly. When I visited the campus for a tour everyone seemed pretty down-to-earth and welcoming, I think you'll have a good time at either school though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I go to UBC myself, but I don't live on res but even I can say that the social scene in Vancouver is a lot better in Vancouver as opposed to Kingston. I have friends at Queens and they're constantly travelling to Toronto, Montreal, and New York because there is nothing to do in Kingston.

Also, if you really don't like the fact that there are a lot of Asians at UBC, Queens will definitely be a 180 degree change. There are a lot more Caucasians there, but like you said.. lots of elitists.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@cyynthiia wrote
I go to UBC myself, but I don't live on res but even I can say that the social scene in Vancouver is a lot better in Vancouver as opposed to Kingston. I have friends at Queens and they're constantly travelling to Toronto, Montreal, and New York because there is nothing to do in Kingston.

Yeah, when I visited Queen's, going from Toronto to Kingston is a big change. It feels much smaller and more suburban than what you're used to if you come from a large metropolitan city. I'm sure there are venues and clubs at Kingston, but not as much as there would be in Vancouver.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@Razear wrote

@cyynthiia wrote

Yeah, when I visited Queen's, going from Toronto to Kingston is a big change. It feels much smaller and more suburban than what you're used to if you come from a large metropolitan city. I'm sure there are venues and clubs at Kingston, but not as much as there would be in Vancouver.

I just realized how terrible my grammar was in that first post, WOW.
But yes, that's what I heard from all my friends who attend Queens too!
But I'm sure there's a lot of things to do on campus, especially if you live on res.
Was this helpful? Yes 0