yconic - Can't focus !
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Can't focus !

A photo of Nithl Nithl
All I can think about is universities, and where I'll be next year. I can't focus on the work I'm supposed to be doing now. Stupid universities, getting you all excited now when it's still so far away.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
22 replies

A photo of Nyx Nyx
I know eh?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Ehhhh.
A lot of us on this forum can probably relate to that, I know I can.
Better not let it get to your head too much, though.. Gotta focus on school or this will really be stressing you out at the end of the year when you flunk and really have no idea where you're going!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MaryWalton MaryWalton
I have the same issue when I have big workloads, and what I do is concentrate on one thing at a time. It might seem like no big deal but when you just sit down and tell yourself to concentrate on that one piece of homework or filling out that one scholarship application, your workload doesn't seem as big and you can focus so much better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kreitmeier kreitmeier
Considering deadlines have come up, passed, and are near the best way is to just do what you need to do in terms of applying for uni or college, do your scholarships, and once its all out of the way then you can focus on school and graduating. I know that I'm in the same position. I'm school president, i have three jobs, and i play hockey for two teams. I really don't know how I'm still sane.. but as we speak I'm going through scholarships, i made an appointment with the university counselor, and figuring out what I wanna take. Then, once it's all settled I can focus on this semester and have all my attention on my school work to have good grades when i graduate. Good luck!! Just stay calm and don't stress and have to-do lists.. it works for me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Haru Haru
just out of curiosity. how many ppl are doing extra-curriculars not because they want to but because they have to (for university reasons)? i know for me, i would NOT be running some of the clubs I do right now if I didn't HAVE TO (kinda). Let's be honest here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aej aej
the stress is really getting to me too let me tell yeah you are not alone!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of softbalkay softbalkay
Me too! But make sure you have fun now because you'll never be in high school again!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MoyenneFleur MoyenneFleur
Well your post is a bit vague for me, but yeah I get that too...

the point is if you`re stress go take a break to de-stresss yourself; such as a bath or reading etc

then come back to whatever you were doing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@Haru wrote
just out of curiosity. how many ppl are doing extra-curriculars not because they want to but because they have to (for university reasons)? i know for me, i would NOT be running some of the clubs I do right now if I didn't HAVE TO (kinda). Let's be honest here.

I don't really do ECs, as I'm not going into business. If I did them, though, it would be just for university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of adilafzal adilafzal
Is listening to music while studying helpful for focus?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of adilafzal adilafzal
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@adilafzal wrote

It depends on the person and the kind of music.
Some people find it distracting while others find it helpful.
Only one way to find out.. Try it out for yourself!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Newki Newki
Their are lots of different ways to focus. For example some people listan to music. When i new to focus I find chewing gum always help, but one the down side to that most schools don't allow Gum.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jumpinletgo jumpinletgo
Oh man, I totally feel you. I have a lot of difficulty concentrating sometimes, especially when it's something I don't want to do. If you find that it's getting really bad, take a break and go do something fun for like half an hour; personally, I play some Professor Layton when I get too distracted. I also find that listening to classical music or to anything without lyrics while I work helps me stay concentrated on boring things without getting bored.

I also find it helps to really diversify your interests, so that having something different every day to do helps you buckle down and get whatever has to be done get done. It helps make life less dreary I guess.

Good luck with your focusing! ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I feel the same way. All I can think about is university almost all the time. I'm very excited for September.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bobbobby bobbobby

@adilafzal wrote

it depends on how you learn. from careers class, if you are a musical learner, it probably works for you.
apparently, listening to music while studying is only beneficial when you listen though the left ear.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of christlin christlin
I think the problem is that we spend way to much time thinking about what college/university because we ease-drop on our parents conversating about her teen heading off to university or college. It is great that they are excited, but they seemingly put pressure on us when post-secondary is a time of independence and not really relying on parents to be there 24/7. Instead of stressing yourself out that it ends up making you out of focus, try thinking about what you want to do and how you are going to get there. That's what Im doing as I type this. Think about the places you wish to see and learn about. When you realize what you want, go for it. There will be obstacles in your way and there will be people who will throw the negativity ball at you. Brush it off and keeping going!! You will get there sooner than you think.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tessa Tessa
I'm just getting distracted by all the scholarships there are. Its ridiculous.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AmyH AmyH
I get distracted because applying for university and scholarships is so scary! All of us are under pressure from parents, teachers and family, but we're also under pressure from ourselves. I have trouble sleeping - does anyone have any tips on how to relax at night?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I wish I could graduate from grade 12 now and time warp to college.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pattersonmd pattersonmd
Im going to do a 3year college 2 university so my stress levels are down.
Was this helpful? Yes 0