yconic - Can't stand my current degree, must transfer to UofT Engineering - advice appreciated
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Can't stand my current degree, must transfer to UofT Engineering - advice appreciated

A photo of engineersrock engineersrock
Step 1: Contact someone at U of T engineering about the transfer process. They will have all the information you need.

You have a very strong case for transfer. Your grades are great, which is all that really matters. You will likely have to almost start from scratch, but you said you would be fine with that. Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
28 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Step 1: Contact someone at U of T engineering about the transfer process. They will have all the information you need.

You have a very strong case for transfer. Your grades are great, which is all that really matters. You will likely have to almost start from scratch, but you said you would be fine with that. Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote

Thank you very much.

I have done a lot of research about the process, and know the steps and deadlines.

I am more scared about not getting in to be honest, but many thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
As much as your business courses frustrate you, they are your ticket into a transfer. Your GPA will be the biggest decider in whether or not you get accepted. So hang in there- business is always a good tool for engineers anyhow. Pretend like its a prereq before you get to the good stuff.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@threepointonefour wrote
As much as your business courses frustrate you, they are your ticket into a transfer. Your GPA will be the biggest decider in whether or not you get accepted. So hang in there- business is always a good tool for engineers anyhow. Pretend like its a prereq before you get to the good stuff.

You really think so? I mean, I was thinking that my highschool grades would be more relevant.

Thanks for your advice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
No your high school grades will NOT be more relevant. Your university grades will be very important. threepointonefour is right, business courses are very useful to an engineer. My boyfriend, a civil engineer, took an extra years worth of business courses and did a M.Eng. in Engineering Management, for example.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of WaterfallOfDestiny WaterfallOfDestiny
Should you get into U of T engineering, you could also ask about the possibility of getting transfer credits for an Arts & Science minor related to business - just so your first two years weren't "wasted."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
lol I find it funny how you were pressured into business when engineering is a more useful degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel
Yes, I think a 3.8-3.9 should be enough to transfer. If it's not that's ridiculous
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of kraken kraken

@WaterfallOfDestiny wrote
Should you get into U of T engineering, you could also ask about the possibility of getting transfer credits for an Arts & Science minor related to business - just so your first two years weren't "wasted."

Engineers can't get artsci minors I don't think. However, one or two could potentially count for elective courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kraken wrote
Engineers can't get artsci minors I don't think. However, one or two could potentially count for elective courses.

I am a current engineering student at U of T, who has also worked within the Division of Engineering Science. Yes, engineers can get artsci minors, subject to approval by their program department and the Faculty of Arts & Science.

The real question is whether or not, for this particular situation, transfer credits would be awarded to help satisfy a minor (perhaps even in Engineering Business, which is actually part of the engineering faculty).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Fingers crossed that you'll be accepted!

As with a lot of transfer admissions, chances are that only the admissions officers will know exactly how they take transfer marks into account. Maybe they take your percentage grades and convert to GPA from there; maybe they use your current GPA; maybe they'll take a glance at your university marks and go back to your high school grades for the math/science course marks (and, you know, the fact that they offered you admission once before).

Also, a 3.9 GPA puts you in a pretty good spot if you ask me. =D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of broodp4 broodp4
Wow that's 2 years of wasted time. However I believe u should be doing something u love and not something that gets u a job and some cash. U are definitely going to start in first year if u get accepted, and faculty trasfers are very tricky especially if it's from liberal arts/business/social science into something like engineering. I however recommend u find out when some of the engineering/physics lectures are and attend them if u have time to spare. My friend had a similar situation to yours(trasferred from Econ to CS, and found CS to be too hard for him) and he ended up going back to Econ. It is important to know that the program ur going into is exactly what u want to do, cuz there's no going back afterwards.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

You wouldn't get in trouble if you entered a random engineering lecture - you'd just need to invest some time and figure out when and where a first-year EngSci lecture is held. Might I suggest CIV102 (Structures & Materials) because Prof Collins is highly regarded across the faculty and amongst EngSci students for his entertaining and informative lectures.

Of course, this is all just to reinforce your decision to transfer. But I take it that you've already thought this through long and hard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well I don't mean to discourage u, but at waterloo it's very hard to switch to engineering programs, even from within the engineering faculty(eg:mechanical to electrical). Some programs are outright closed after the first year, and don't accept any new students. So when u choose your engineering specialty choose carefully. Also I should note that u mention engineering science which is an absolutely killer/competitive program and u should note that universities are always going to give priority to new students over the existing ones, just because they are already taking your money. I would personally not consider applying to eng science in your situation, cuz no matter how good my grades are there's a very high chance of me getting rejected. Your first priority should now be getting your faculty change through, considering ur already in second year. Choose a program u will likely get accepted to, work hard in first year, and then in second year apply to your preferred program. First year engineering is general anyways, so ur not going to miss anything. I actually did change my program once and that's how I know this stuff.
Talk to a counsellor and see if u can get trasfer credit for at least some of ur courses. It's highly unlikely but you should give it a try anyways. Also try to do some of the courses in your engineering curriculum this year itself of u can get permission. Not only will u get a feel for what it's like, but will also help your application, if u do well on the courses.
Finally I wont worry about going to lectures. They are huge rooms and nobody cares. When I was in first year I went to 2nd year lectures sometimes to see what it's like, and what to expect.
Anyway Gl on your transfer, and as someone said before, now ur univ markscome first, hs second. So keep getting good grades and u will get there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

I don't understand your reasoning behind wanting to go into eng science other than that your friends are there? From what u are describing I would think u would be better suited to do something like aerospace, mechanical or electrical, cuz truth to be told eng science majors don't do much of the interesting design stuff that other engineering students do. They are likely going to join the phys majors and do complicated math all the time(not fun). Eng science is very good if u want to do research and become a prof for example but if it's designing things that u like u are barking up the wrong tree. I recommend u research a little more before making your decision.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I do want to do research and pursue graduate studies, which is why I want to go into Eng Sci.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well my brother did a Meng in elec, and he was planning on doing a Phd afterwards, only he got a good job offer after he completed his masters. He couldnt say no so there goes that Phd dream down the drain. This is just to show that you dont have to be in Eng science to do research. Anyways after all, its your decision, I wish u the best of luck!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0