yconic - Carleton & Ottawa U
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Carleton & Ottawa U

A photo of canuckgirl canuckgirl
Okay, I'm not interested in any biased hate messages about one school or the other, just to be clear. I adore Ottawa and plan on going to school there at either Ottawa U or Carleton, and just want to hear some pros and cons about the two, some differences, things you liked/didn't like from personal experience etc... Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

This post was deleted

I've heard similar to that as well... Why is that, do you think? Also, why does Ottawa U have a seemingly better reputation if people are happier at Carleton?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of allison123 allison123
I was at a crossroads between the two but ultimately picked Ottawa U due to the fact that everyone was telling me mixed opinions but in absolutely no comparison Ottawa was better...

These were my reasons:

1) Location! Carleton is in the middle of no where, Ottawa was in an amazing location right by grocery stores, the mall, parliament, downtown, and I wanted that
2) The actual campus - Ottawa was just a nicer campus overall (in my opinion)
3) It was easier to remember, people I spoke to overall preferred Ottawa (like, the students who went there were demanding I go there, telling me about there favorite courses etc, seemed more passionate) and I fell in love with the campus!

That's my opinion but you should definetley go check out the campus. Either way I'm sure you will be satisfied as they are both awesome universities! Goodluck!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Haha well thank you! Those are actually the same sort of things I've been considering. Good luck to you too!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Arts. And as my mother has told me a thousand times over, I could just go to our local University for that and it would make no difference haha. My plan is to do my undergrad in Ottawa, but then come home to BC do my PDP and become a teacher.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Haha. I wish I could have had more than a glance at both campuses, but the several provinces in between me and them pose to be a bit of an issue. :P I really love downtown Ottawa though, so it seems like U Ottawa would be the logical choice. And again, if what I'm interested in academically is nothing all too specific, is the education really going to be much different from one place to another?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Respects wrote
Carleton's campus has more greenspace while Ottawa's campus is mostly concrete, but it is located downtown. Ottawa is a much older and more recognized institution. It is part of the G13, a group of leading research-intensive universities in Canada. G13 institutions receive about two thirds of all government research funding in Canada. Carleton receives large endowment money also. Carleton is a fairly new university but has topnotch programs in journalism, architecture and the arts while Ottawa is better for sciences and engineering.

This pretty much sums up an accurate assessment of both universities.

As for the person who said Carleton was in the middle of nowhere: what? Carleton is 10 minutes from downtown, it has all the amenities you need on campus, you're 5 minutes from 2 different, large malls, etc. It's definitely not in the middle of nowhere.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LukeB2 LukeB2
So I actally had this EXACT same dilemna. I'm also frm western Canada (Alberta) and I decided on Carleton over OttawaU. However, my difference is that with Carleton I applied into journalism whereas OttawaU was PoliSci. Carleton journalism is pretty well-recognised and I've seen many get rejected, so I jumped at the prospect of going there.

I have seen the OttawaU campus and it's absolutely gorgeous. It's 5 minutes away from parliament, a bunch of markets and HUGE museums, and Quebec (because let's be honest, youre going to want to party in Quebec). I was also offered a single room whereas in Carleton there is only double.

Carleton is very well-recognised for the arts and humanities. If you were to look at notable alumni, the vast majority of them are MPP's, MPs, lawyers and journalists. (Can Aakroyd and K-OS also went there, which is just weird and really cool).

If you choos Carleton then maybe I'll have a class with you. I'm the white, skinny, hipster-looking kid (it's funny because everyone in arts will be white skinny hipster-looking kids...unless theyre asian, black or latino, skinny, hipster-looking kids)

If you manage to find me, I will reward you by buying you a drink when we party in Quebec.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for the advice! And I'll hold you to that drink. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Shoe Shoe
If your coming from BC and living on res, alot of the criticism of Uottawa will not apply to you. This is because Uottawa has a larger commuting population than does Carleton and often times for commuters it is harder to get involved in campus life, I say this being a commuter from ottawa's south end (Barhaven)myself. Saying this, both schools are attended by large amounts of students who grew up in the city and criticism of either one as being a commuter school is superficial (especially if you live on res, you will hardly even notice).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Courtney33 Courtney33
I really like Ottawa U's location as it is so close to downtown. I always thought that Carleton was far from the main city as that's what I've always heard. That being said, I joined a soccer league that plays at Carleton, and it is NOT far from town at all. The amount of greenspace is amazing, however their campus feels a bit difficult to navigate as there don't seem to be many landmarks. At UOttawa, there are some short buildings and some tall buildings, leaving you with the ability to always have a marker and find your way.
One thing I dislike about UOttawa is the process for registering for classes. Their registration program has a great deal of flaws and if you are in a complicated sort of program (such as with a major in a different faculty than your minor), it gets tricky. I'm sure you've already made all your decisions since it's almost time for the year to begin, but if you come to UOttawa and need any help, let me know ;-)
Was this helpful? Yes 0