yconic - CARLETON JOURNALISM ACCEPTANCES ???
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

CARLETON JOURNALISM ACCEPTANCES ???

A photo of allison123 allison123
For those who got into Carleton Journalism -
What are your marks
And were there any additional requirements for admission
Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of lala93 lala93

@allison123 wrote
What are your marks

I got accepted and my average was 84.3 and there were no additional requirements:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lala93 wrote

@allison123 wrote
What are your marks

I got accepted and my average was 84.3 and there were no additional requirements:)

Thank you so much! CONGRATULATIONS BTW!! :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Nice! Journalism is a very competitive program, no?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@heesoup wrote
Nice! Journalism is a very competitive program, no?

seems like it! and even more competitive as a career!
has anyone else got accepted in carleton journalism?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KatieW22 KatieW22
I was accepted in December and I still can't decide between Carleton and Ryerson. Any advice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@KatieW22 wrote
I was accepted in December and I still can't decide between Carleton and Ryerson. Any advice?

I would have to say Carleton journalism has a bit more edge than Ryerson's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lala93 lala93

@KatieW22 wrote

It depends what field you want to get into. Ryerson is stronger in terms of broadcast journalism while Carelton is better for print. Also for Ryerson, if you're 100% sure that you want a career in journalism, you should go for it because with this program, you start right away and only have the choice to minor. As for Carelton, it takes a bit longer to get into journalism and it's really great if you want to pursue a double major...you have more flexibility with that program. Also, Carelton would be ideal if you want to get into politics/current affairs since it's in Ottawa.

Hope this helped:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KatieW22 KatieW22

@lala93 wrote

@KatieW22 wrote

It depends what field you want to get into. Ryerson is stronger in terms of broadcast journalism while Carelton is better for print. Also for Ryerson, if you're 100% sure that you want a career in journalism, you should go for it because with this program, you start right away and only have the choice to minor. As for Carelton, it takes a bit longer to get into journalism and it's really great if you want to pursue a double major...you have more flexibility with that program. Also, Carelton would be ideal if you want to get into politics/current affairs since it's in Ottawa.

Thanks! I'm just a bit reluctant to accept Carleton due to the scary fact that 100 people are kicked out of the program after first year. I would forever regret my decision if I didn't make it to second year!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@KatieW22 wrote

@lala93 wrote

@KatieW22 wrote

Thanks! I'm just a bit reluctant to accept Carleton due to the scary fact that 100 people are kicked out of the program after first year. I would forever regret my decision if I didn't make it to second year!

what really? how do u know? i couldn't find that on there website. omg! that chances my decision dramatically
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lala93 lala93

@KatieW22 wrote

@lala93 wrote

@KatieW22 wrote

Yeah but you only need to get a B+ in the intro course and I think an overall average of B to stay in so I'm sure it won't be too bad. But I know what you mean; on the other hand though, you can always transfer to Ryerson.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

does that equal to 100 students though? thanks for the info!

i applied to bot journalism and communications programs. what do you think the advantage of going to journalism or communications programs would be? my parents feel strongly aboutme going into communications cause they fear i'm limiting my options if i change my mind :S what do u think??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lala93 lala93

@allison123 wrote
does that equal to 100 students though? thanks for the info!

i applied to bot journalism and communications programs. what do you think the advantage of going to journalism or communications programs would be? my parents feel strongly aboutme going into communications cause they fear i'm limiting my options if i change my mind :S what do u think??

So did I:) I was contemplating between the two as well but I concluded that a Journalism degree is more worth it because with that degree you can practice journalism and a variety of other careers like public relations, media relations etc. Communications is very broad and I believe most people are getting that degree now so it'll be plenty of competition in the future so you'd probably need to go to college or do some post graduate program to further specialize in your field of interest. With a communications degree, it's not for certain that you can get a job as a journalist. And anyways, you can always do a double major with journalism and communications which I think I will do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of journalismgirl journalismgirl
I was accepted in mid December with my grade 11 average of 93%. And yeah, I just sent an email asking about the 2nd year requirements, it's so scary! They basically only take 1/2 of the people in the program, so there is a lot of pressure. But if you're serious about it and you know you can buckle down and study hard, then I think it will be good. I've heard nothing but good things from my teachers and even other university representatives (the ones that come to your school) about Carleton's Journalism program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of colakid123 colakid123
Are any of you concerned about getting jobs in journalism? What are the prospects for Carleton grads?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HeadsOrTails HeadsOrTails
Hey :). I'm a current first-year Journalism student here at Carleton and I can help with some of your questions or concerns that you may have. I'm bored at 4 am so I might as well. :P

When it comes to Carleton Journalism, the average to get in is usually mid to high 80s. The thing is, every year, the average has been getting lower. I dunno if it's us getting dumber or the workload just getting harder, but every coming year, there's probably a better chance of getting in. Get a mark in the mid 80s, no additional material, you should be a-okay.

The program is competitive. EVERYONE'S main worry is making it to second-year. During my first lecture in the program, they made sure that everyone knows that almost half is NOT going to second year. The class started with 180 or so kids...they only take 100 the next year. The good news is, some people drop out of the program OR choose to drop it at the end (they stay just so they don't waste a credit). This will leave the class with 150 or 140 hopefuls.

There is NO bell curve. You must get a B or B+ to move on, a B- is the absolute lowest you can get. You get a C+, you're done. You might say, "oh, B isn't that hard to get". Thing is, last year, only 15 people out of 180 or so got B+. Extrapolate that. Workload isn't THAT much (well, compared to my engineering roommate :P), but the weekly news quizzes in first semester is a pain. Hint: Listen to the radio and watch TV for news. NOT just newspapers.

Once you're in second year though, it's not as cut throat anymore. The later years that I've talked to say they've had a lot of fun in the course and that it only gets better. First year is basically all theory. No practical, hands-on work just yet. You go though the history of journalism and ethics and all that jazz. Fun times.

Now for some other tidbits that may help you guys. :)

-Each semester, you get about 2 BIG assignments. These are worth a lot and doing well in them will pay dividends. Say you don't do very well on the news quizzes. High marks on the assignments can easily cancel out low news quizzes marks. Still though, you should still try on them. :P

-As aforementioned, listen/read/watch ALL sources of news. That includes radio, TV, papers and websites. News quizzes will eat you if you don't. Each news quiz has a sport question (great for me, I love sports), business question, entertainment question (Example: What did Justin Bieber do this past week that shocked his fans? Answer: Cut his hair ---> EASIEST NEWS QUIZ QUESTION EVER), and international question. Everything else is a nationwide or local news question.

-Make friends. Seriously, you will need their help. Study groups are helpful to an extent, but you will end up socializing and having a great time. Not good for studying. :P

-Know what you're doing in any assignment! Me, I do all of my assignments literally last minute. Not a good habit at all but at least I know what I'm doing. Got a 9.3/10 on an assignment that I spent 8 straight hours, finishing 30 minutes before it was due. DONT DO THIS but it just goes to show that you HAVE to know what you're doing. Some people worked on the assignment for weeks but didn't really know what the prof wanted on it. Got low, low marks that I will not divulge.

Example of knowing what you're supposed to do: Assignments are either written as Features (basically like a newspaper article) or Essays. KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. There are some words that you shouldn't use in a feature that will make it sound like an essay (like: gesticulation, aforementioned) and phrases you shouldn't use in an essay that will make it sound like a feature (like: anything corny or cliched).

-The midterm and exams are NOT that difficult but are worth a lot. First semester, exam was 100 multiple choice. Second semester, exam will be 10 long answer questions. Again, nothing out of the ordinary, no surprises, no BSing your way out of it. You did well in English class in Grade 12, you should have NO problem writing long answers.

-This is a response to the above question about getting jobs. While you're in the program, write or freelance for any newspaper publication. Build up your network, beef up your resume, get some works published. Getting a journalism degree from Carleton is gonna be awesome, as is getting any other degree, but you still need experience. I don't know what the prospects are for Carleton grads currently, but many either graduate while already working for a news station, or may have to wait tables before their dreams are realized because they weren't as proactive as some while they were in the program. IT'S ALL UP TO YOU.

And scene.
If you guys have any other questions, concerns, anything, just post here because I'm bored and broke from studying so I will end up checking back on this thread a couple times. :P Good luck to everyone that really wants to get in. It's a blast.
Was this helpful? Yes 3

A photo of MrRoboto MrRoboto
Thanks for that long commentary on the journalism program. Studying for those quizzes sounds like it would actually be fun. I think I'm going to do the combined honours thing with communications if I can. Seems like the best route as I think I may want to go into PR.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HeadsOrTails HeadsOrTails
^ You're welcome. Studying for the news quizzes doesn't sound THAT bad, but once you're actually here, the freedom of being in uni and being able to do almost anything you want WILL affect your study habits. And don't forget: journalism is NOT the only course you'll be taking. You need an overall of 5 credits for the whole year...journalism is only 1 of those credits. Workload and marks in your other classes will still matter a lot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I have a question about acceptances into Carleton. Not for journalism though. My application for Civil Engineering says "Decision Made; Eligible for Admission". Does that mean I got accepted or what? :O

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Raquel123 Raquel123
I just got accepted to Carleton journalsim with a 85.6%.
Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0