yconic - Carleton or uOttawa: from McGill
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Carleton or uOttawa: from McGill

A photo of brotchenkaufer brotchenkaufer
Hello,

I am in a bit of a pickle and can't seem to find a lot of information on programs for linguistics at uOttawa and Carleton University. I know what they expect for courses, but I don't know which university is better for linguistics. I am considering going into Speech-Language Pathology as a Master's program.

My academic career is a bit of a mess because of my finances. I am reluctant to take out a loan for my undegraduate degree (I really only need money for rent), and transferred from the University of Toronto to McGill University. While there are issues with McGill (more expensive and not able to get into certain, required courses - pushing my degree back an extra year), I love my current linguistics program and I love the academic environment here. Due to financial reasons, I am considering transferring again to a university in my home city, Ottawa.

In Ottawa, I would be able to complete my degree while living at home and working at a hospital were I would earn $20.00 per hour, and never have to take out a loan. Not only would I not be paying rent, tuition is about $1000 to $1500 cheaper in Ontario than in Québec for an out-of-province student. However, I was miserable at that job (I was on-call, receiving calls to come into work at 5am, and they were disrespectful when I did my job properly).

If I have even $50,000, I would stay at McGill. But if I do stay, I would have to take out $15,000 for 2-3 years to pay for rent. While I could work during the summer, getting a job in Montréal may be trickier for an Anglophone. My French may not be up to par to get a job here, despite it allowing me to accomplish various activities and have slower conversations.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could tell me something about Carleton and/or uOttawa, and if they think it would be a much better decision for me to stay or go. I'm sure I would regret leaving, but it would give me a financial stability (extra spending money, hospital experience, money for my Master's degree).

Thank you so much; I really appreciate it!

ps: At uOttawa, I am expected to take 2 English courses and 2 phillosophy courses (all are half-year courses). At Carleton, I only have to take linguistic courses and learn another language. McGill requires one logic course, which I have yet to take, while UofT did not require it, at all. I would prefer not having to take anything unrelated to linguistics (I am doing a mandatory minor at McGill), but will take them anyway to get my degree.

Did you have to take any logic/ philosophy courses? Did you enjoy it or find it useful for linguistics? Would it be better to attend a university where I have to learn another language instead? I heard that it's sometimes not advisable to learn a language as you study linguistics as an undergraduate because it can interfere with something (someone told me this). Is it true?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of AdriannaCote AdriannaCote
If you are happy in your current program and location, I would recommend that you stay where you are. If you are really struggling with whether to stay or go due to finances, you could discuss it with the financial aid department or a counsellor at your school(or at the the ottawa universities). The logic course at Ottawa University is not a bad course to take, although many people find it hit-and-miss. Good luck, hope I helped a little!

p.s. Ottawa University has some great bursaries and funding based on achievement as well as financial need. And I love my own program :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brotchenkaufer brotchenkaufer

@AdriannaCote wrote
If you are happy in your current program and location, I would recommend that you stay where you are. If you are really struggling with whether to stay or go due to finances, you could discuss it with the financial aid department or a counsellor at your school(or at the the ottawa universities). The logic course at Ottawa University is not a bad course to take, although many people find it hit-and-miss. Good luck, hope I helped a little!

p.s. Ottawa University has some great bursaries and funding based on achievement as well as financial need. And I love my own program :)

Hi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond!
I guess I should speak to the financial aid department to see if there is anything they could do. For the most part, I've only thought about taking out a loan and working, but then I would have debt and not very much money for my graduate program.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0